Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 26th, 2007, 11:33 AM
Remembering Lukka

I was so cheezed off

Five days ago while walking Lukka we came upon a man with his dog (off leash). He had a beautiful King Shepherd that was every bit the size of Lukka and outweighed her somewhat. His dog spotted up in the park and came at us full speed from about 50ft away. Barking, growling and carrying on. His attempts to call his big boy off were to no avail.
Lukka is very protective when on leash out in the middle of nowhere in the wooded area's I hike her and she wouldn't go after a person or their dog that she see's in a distance but will not allow them to come up to me, this was a nasty scene unfolding. Lukka started rearing up on her hind legs, growling in return and pulling like a team of Clydesdales. I didn't dare let go of her because I was thinking that might be even worse than the pain in my hand trying to hold her back. The two dogs tussled until the shepherds owner caught up and could help me separate
them. No injuries to either dog but his was crying and absolutely screaming when Lukka had it pinned down. He told me that his dog has never been on the receiving end before and he was shocked to see how it cowered and cried. So off I went in the opposite direction from this clown and continued on my walk, with chest flutters that I still feel today The most amazing thing to me was when I eventually got back to my truck the guy was sitting on the grass with his dog off leash just a few feet away from where I was parked. We were just emerging from the woods and quite some distance away when his dog spotted us and bolted in our direction. The owner of the dog managed to tackle him before he got too far this time and I could hear him yelling at me, "Oh, sorry"
WHY WHY WHY do people let their dogs run of leash? By the sounds of it this has happened many times with this guy and his dog because he said it was about time another dog put his dog in its place WELL I DON'T WANT MY DOG TO BE THE ENFORCER, I PURPOSELY WALK IN DESERTED AREA'S TO BE ALONE WITH LUKKA.
This is my hand after five days of healing from where Lukkas leather leash dug into me as I was trying to prevent her from attacking that dog.

Old May 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Ooh ouch!!! I hope your hand is healing ok.

Some people are just stupid!!!!
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Honest Contributor

me too i'm so SICK and TIRED of these situations... next time it happens, i'm letting dakotah off the leash so he (and I) don't suffer any more injuries and too bad for the other irresponsible idjit owner, i mean what are we supposed to do? get in the middle and get mauled? :sad:

your poor hand, that looks very painful... could you report his aggressive, loose dog to the local authorities? anything?

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, that is awful and your poor hand looks really really painful!!!
I really don't know why people let their dogs loose like that, it makes it bad for us responsible owners:sad:

Hopefully your hand feels better soon
Old May 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Oh ,I can sooo relate.. So much so that I had to go to dog agression classes, to learn how to "shut my dog down" and control the situation. Still to this day I have to "manage" these situations. I must say though that managing them is much easier than dreading the thought of running into some off leash dog coming for us.
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

What in Sam Hill is a King Shepherd?

Sorry about your hand. It sure looks painful. Hope it heals up ok.
Old May 26th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Ouch!!that would have hurt.glad Lukka wasn't hurt.whats it going to take for that guy to keep his dog on leash.who knows if there has been more serious situations already and he didn't learn from it.hopefully it heals up quickly.
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
What in Sam Hill is a King Shepherd?
http://www.kingshepherd.com/
Old May 26th, 2007, 02:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lukka'sma--is that your ring constricting the swelling?!?!!!! It looks like you should have had the ring cut off--rings can be repaired, necrotic fingers can't!

I can't believe that guy would let his dog off the leash when he knows he's got a control problem. He said was the first time his dog had ever been on the receiving end--so how many times has his dog attacked another and lorded it over the other? What is that guy thinking!? That it's okay as long as his dog wins?

Heal quick

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 26th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Furball Farmer

People really annoy me...especially uneducated idiots who shouldn't be owning pets.
First off is WHY would you put your OWN dog in that situation? What if your dog was ripped to shreds because of your ignorance?
And secondly WHY do that to someone else's dog? Or someone else period.

We take our dogs to deserted areas also to avoid this problem, and if we even see another vehicle approach with the chance that there might be a dog inside we leash our dogs immediatley and wait by our own vehicle until we are sure it is safe.

We learnt our lesson when we were at the lake and some moron pulled up quite close to where we were parked and let his rottweiler out! Thankfully the dog was a sweetheart and raced over to swim also, but boy was my heart ever racing to get our dogs in the vehicle.
What if that dog (who was much larger then mine) mauled them or us?
I don't even like thinking about it, makes me sick.
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableCollie View Post

Ahh. Thanks. Just what I thought.
Old May 26th, 2007, 08:19 PM

ouch, geez that looks like it hurts!!!

what stuck with me was his saying that his dog usually is on the other end of a fight, if that's the case why the heck is his dog off leash in the first place
some peoples children I tell ya!!!

http://www.freewebs.com/crazy4cresteds/index.htm
Old May 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

oh no!!!!! sorry to hear of your horrible experience!!!! poor hand... braxton send kisses to make it feel better!!!!!! and logan and aiden send their love as well to both you and lukka
Logan - Rescued Husky cross
Aiden- Rescued husky cross
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:37 PM

That looks like it kills!
Old May 27th, 2007, 02:02 AM

Why wouldnt the man have a leash on his dog at least after he ran away the first time?? From how often it sounds like this dog runs loose and gets aggressive, I'm suprised someone hasnt called the authorities. With someone like that, its probably going to take him having his dog taken away to realize you cant just let an aggressive dog run free like that.

And dang! Hope Lukka gave your hand lots of kisses lol.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Boss-lady!

You know, I do let my dogs off the leash (or did when they were good about coming back when called) but only when we're alone on the trail where we go. As soon as the dogs got bad about coming back when called, I stopped letting them loose. I don't want them injured or injuring another dog. Seems like common sense to me, but it just doesn't seem to be common sense to most people. I can't begin to count the number of times we've had a dog run up to us, no sign of an owner. Then, after all the dogs have (thankfully!) made friends, someone will come strolling up-"Oh! Sorry!". In the meantime, there could have been a huge fight or something-they might have walked up to a bleeding, maimed dog or an extremely pissed me, waiting to find out who I'm sending vet bills to, or much, much worse. It only takes a few seconds for a disaster to happen.

I hope your hand feels better soon.

"You can't have a good day in bad underwear"- Fruit of the Loom ad
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Buy doggy mace.

I have a bottle and luckily haven't had to use it yet.
I was walking my Rottie and a pitt came running out of nowhere. If my dog hadn't been so submissive I probably would have needed it. He wasn't a very friendly dog at all. It gave me a real piece of mind having that handy though. I take it with me on all my walks. It has to be doggy mace though because dogs can't tear out mace the way we do.

You can buy if for pretty cheap here.
http://www.amazon.com/Muzzle-Canine-...0301078&sr=8-6
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Lukka'sma,

Your hand looks very painful and if your ring finger is swollen , hazelrunpak is right, the ring should be cut off.

You must be so proud of Lukka and feel so safe when you are walking with him, I would love to have a large dog, but am not home enough to take proper care of them and I don't have a dog background to train properly. Plus, both my cats are TERRIFIED of dogs.

Any pictures of Lukka you can provide?

Take care.
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ooops, saw a picture of Lukka in another thread. What a BEAUTY she is.
Old May 27th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Senior Contributor

It hurts just looking at the pics of your hand. I hope you've gotten the ring off.
Old May 29th, 2007, 05:47 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I agree! Ever since Dazy showed some mild aggression towards puppies and stopped coming when called, I stopped taking her off leash, not only for her own protection, but for everyone and every animal out there! I would love to assume that others are thinking about my safety that way too but that doesn't seem to be the case sadly.

I was once at an offleash park and an adult dog came up to my small puppy and she was tackled hard and pinned, and the other owner said that her dog was the fun police and no fun was to be had when her dog was around. She tried to make it a joke, but I didn't think it was funny cuz it scared the crap out of my pup. Her dog continued one doing this to each dog it met.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)