Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old August 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM

Question Help for my FAT CAT!

My cat Luna is 6 years old, generally healthy, but 2-3 pounds overweight (15 lb at last weigh-in!) Can you help me help her slim down?!?

She lives alone in my small apartment so doesn't get much exercise... and
I've been feeding her only 1/3 cup Orijen kibble each day... and about 1 small can a week of Wellness wet (chicken). But she's still FAT. I like Orijen because she likes it, its a GOOD food, and Canadian... but it does have a higher fat content than maybe she should eat (info?)

I can't feed her less quantity, won't do raw (sorry hardcore raw feeders!), and don't want to feed her foods with grains or by-products (ew!)...

Who has other suggestions for quality foods for weight LOSS?
Thanks! ~Scary & Luna
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Investigative researcher

If you want to stay with a kibble, I have had good luck with Acana light for my 9 yr old neutered male. He was one FAT cat when we lived on the farm--ate his food, and several rodents every day! Over the last year, he has had no rodent supplements, and 1/2 c of Acana light a day, and has lost weight gradually to a nice 11 lbs from 17. I intend to switch him to Orijen soon, as it is higher quality than Acana, but I didn't want to upset the apple cart when he was doing so well.
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

How about giving up the Orijen and just feed Wellness canned. Generally kibble is not a good food for cats needing to loose weight.

Another food I really like is Oganics by Nature and Instinct by Nature Variety. I have not done any calorie analysis on these foods so I can't comment on which one would be best. I recently have taken my Jasper off Orijen and put him on a canned only diet of Instinct (Lamb flavour), which he loves, and he lost a lot of weight to the point I had to give him back some Orijen sprinkled on his canned food to stablize his weight.

My daughter has her once overweight kitties on canned food now and they naturally lost weight.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/instinct_cat_can

http://www.bynaturepetfoods.com/prod...nedcat.php#ttl

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm new, and have been reading through some posts looking for a new food for my cat. I was pretty sure I was going for the Oijen dry, until I read this post about weight gain. My kitty loves his dry kibble, so is it a guarantee he will become overweight if I feed dry alone? He is pretty active, as he and the dog chase each other around the house

Another comment I want to make to the original poster about toys....I got one from Globel Pets that hangs from the door casing on an elastic. It has a fake fur mouse attached and I squirt it every now and then with liquid catnip. He goes crazy over this toy! He pulls the mouse until the elastic pings back, it is quite funny to watch. Before this toy, he never had one he liked to play with.

This site is so great for information. Thanks to everyone!
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM

Smile Clarifying...

Hi, OP here...
Just wanted to clarify that my fat cat gained part of her extra weight before the Orijen (she ate Nutro Natural Choice for her first 4 years). She's also a solo apartment cat that doesn't get much exercise...
So if your kitty has different arrangements, Orijen is a good food and might be fine.

OH, and thanks for the toy suggestion - sadly Luna has a thing for elestics in a BIG way. She's not interested in the toy on the end except as something to hold while she chews through the elastic! So no more of those for her. :shrugs:
Old September 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think you have to get your kitty on quality canned food if you want her to loose weight. Orijen is packed with calories where as canned food is 75% water.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Kitty pimp

os there any dry food that is good for a snack that has 0 calories sort if like rice cakes for humans
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

Hmmmm another kitty to help her exersise? Oh and I have that elastic problem here too, my guys just hold the toy to eat through the elastic! I've found that the best way to get my big guy (19 lbs) to get active is one of those laser pointers and the ever popular string on a stick (my dad took dowels and drilled holes in the end so we can tie rope or shoelaces to them... haven't seen a cat yet that didn't play with it).

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M