Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old May 11th, 2005, 09:21 PM

Red face Can you help me?

Hi, I'm trying to adopt a young beatle. I'm 13 but I do love animals. My family loves animals to. I recently asked my mom if I could have a dog and she said I would have to find out the prices for an adoption. During the day my mom would take care of the dog untill I get home from school. I live in Newmarket. Please give me any information you might have.
Thank you!
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Hi, I'm trying to adopt a young beatle.
You couldn't just look in your yard? I'm sure there are plenty of bugs out there... LOL just kidding. Try petfinder.com. They may have a list of rescues in your area.
Old May 12th, 2005, 07:50 AM

HTML Code:
You couldn't just look in your yard? I'm sure there are plenty of bugs out there... LOL just kidding.
LOL Sorry Prin but I had a good giggle at that!

About beagles, I'm glad that you are thinking of adopting one. There are many out there in need of good homes.

Has your family ever owned a dog before? Beagles are wonderful, but not for everyone. They are energetic little dogs and very playful. They need obedience training and can never be trusted off leash as they will follow their noses and become oblivious to your recalls or to traffic. They tend to bay and bark when excited or bored. They are very friendly dogs who love to be with their family. They LOVE food!!!

You can try petfinder as Prin suggested or beagle rescue. There are many beagles in need of a home.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

An adoption fee could be around 200$, more or less. But that is nothing, since your parents would also have to buy a crate, bed, leashes and collars, toys, good quality food and food bowls, get vaccinations and heartworm medication, and flea and worm meds if necessary.

If you want to take obedience classes, which is recommended, yet more $$.

All this is just basic and costs could soar if your dog gets sick.

Actually, below is a "young Beatle": What's in the yard is a "beetle". haha....
Attached Images

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; May 12th, 2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

silly smily diddnt work
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus

Last edited by Eleni; May 12th, 2005 at 08:51 AM. Reason: bah diddnt work
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Here is an adorable little guy. HIs name is Bill.
Bill
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Senior Contributor

If anyone is looking for begales, the SPCA Monteregie has 3 begales available for adoption. I am not sure their ages, but I believe theres 2 males and 1 female. The animals from the SPCA Monteregie are sterilized with up to date vacinations. www.spcamonteregie.com
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:52 PM

Aww. Bill is so cute. I love beagles.
Old May 13th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Beagleluv, do not limit your search to the Newmarket area. I know the Monteregie SPCA. Many of us drive the Toronto - Montreal corridor and could help with the transport of a dog if you were to adopt.

Also, I normally live in Montreal, but am in Toronto for a month, working, so I can do a home visit if a rescue group wants one done before they adopt to you.
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you looked at the River street Toronto Humane Society? I know there was a Beagle on their site last month - kind of surprised me - but take into serious account BeagleMom's comments - she very accurately described the Beagle of today. You will be looking at about $200 plus for the dog if you get him/her from a Rescue Organization - a bit less from the pound. Suggest you also check with local vet as they might know of a dog needing a home. Perhaps a dog you might love that is not a Beagle. Other costs of course will be an immediate checkup with your vet and all of the other various items a dog needs - depending on temperament.
Old May 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I love beagles too!! I am glad to hear your mom can help you. Will your parents help you with the cost of caring for the dog as well? You should draw up a budget and figure out the costs - vet costs, pet food, toys, leashes and beds, obedience classes (I had a beagle and they need MEGA training even tho they are adorable dogs!)The best place to look is at the various rescue groups. NEVER buy one at a pet store or from a newspaper ad!
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Mariluz, you can try sending private message to the original poster.

Do NOT give this puppy away. Do you know that beagles are one of the most popular dogs used in experimental laboratories?? And that someone who takes your puppy can turn around and sell her to a lab?

Please ask at least 200$, and in that have her spaying pre-paid at the adopter's vet, and make sure it's done!

Why can't you take the puppy back to the person you got her from? You can't have had her very long.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Smile

Make sure before you adopt a dog that you take the time to learn about the breed, and some things about training them.
Enjoy your dog, I hope you find one who needs you and one you can love. They are awesome dogs.
Old May 28th, 2005, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Actually, below is a "young Beatle": What's in the yard is a "beetle". haha....
LOL LOL I didn't come back to this thread because I thought my joke was so whacked that no one would get it... Not only was I wrong, I was upstaged!! LOL Good one.

I hope you found a beagle, though. There must be so many because they are higher energy than people expect for a small doggy...
Old May 31st, 2005, 04:26 PM

Smile

I am still in the look for a beagle so if you have any information please tell me about it.
Old May 31st, 2005, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

beagleluv91 - I still strongly suggest you speak with a vet about temperament and general health (and I mean general - a fair shot - not something you can almost count on happening). My Beagle lived to be 19, but he died in 1986 and that is when my love affair began with Dachshunds. My Beagle never had a vet bill except for his annual physical. The general health of the Beagle has changed. Certainly BeagleMom has experienced some of the health problems, but as far as I know has not yet gone through the back/neck disc problem that is on the rise with Beagles. I would not have known this had my mini Dachshund's neurosurgeon not mentioned that he had just operated on his 2 pups - back and neck - and of course I thought they were Dachshunds. No - Beagles. Beagles seem to come in all sorts of different sizes than when we had ours - this no doubt has contributed to the problem. So doesn't hurt to check things out with a vet - even ask him/her to compare health/temperament with patients of varying ages. You should not have any difficulty finding a Beagle as there seem to be a lot available on PetFinder. To tell you the truth had our surgeon not mentioned that his dogs were Beagles, I might well have gone that route after the death of my last Dachshund - just couldn't go through that again for the second time. You have said that your mom needs to know the costs involved for your pup and this is something you must consider. Also, you don't want Sunday's roast to be anywhere in reach of said Beagle!
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Beagleluv, did you look at Bill ?? Can't get much cuter than that...

Prin, don't try to "outwhack" me. hehe..
Old June 1st, 2005, 08:52 AM

I have spent $1000s on my beagle in vet bills. My beagle was not from a reputable breeder. I found her at the age of 6 - 7 wks because someone who thought that because they had a cute female and a cute male they could make some money and sell their puppies! She was dumped by her so called breeders when they couldn't sell her! When I first got her, she had tests done because the vet suspected she had mange, then we had to treat her for her intestinal worm infestation. Not to mention all her vaccines.

Anyway, I can honestly say that my beagle would have been dumped from home to home if it were not for someone like me and my family who believe that when a pet comes to our house it is for good and we invested the time in her!

As a puppy, she got into everything! She chewed her fair share of underwear, socks, aquarium stand, cushions, etc. She is extremely active and very smart! When she wanted your attention, she would steal something from in front of you so you could chase her. She thought it was fun. Needless to say, we quickly realized the importance of a crate! She loved her crate. She was extremely easy to housetrain, not true for most beagles though. She is extremely stubborn and will vocalize when she is not happy with what you want her to do. Common for a hound.

We took her to obedience class and she graduated top in her class. The chewing stopped, eventually, and then she had free roam of the house. She is never allowed off leash, she cannot be trusted and will run off if given the opportunity. Another one of those hound traits.

She will be 9 yrs old in a couple of weeks. So far she has osteoarthritis of the hip and knees. She had knee surgery at the age of 4. Not cheap. Luckily we have never had any problems with her back. Doesn't mean it won't happen though. She may also have Cushings Syndrome. We will be undergoing tests sometime this summer.

I strongly suggest that if you can't afford to pay for vet bills upfront if an emergency arises, you get pet insurance. I purchased it for my beagle, but only after I spent the money on her knee surgery. Her osteoarthritis is excluded because it was pre-existing. She has also broken a toe. Cost over $1,000, luckily her insurance covered that.

She will get into anything that smells like there is food. You will have to keep all food and garbage out of reach. They can even open cupboards. She has even stolen food off of the bbq. She will bark and howl if bored, excited or wants your attention.

Sorry that this turned out to be a long post. I just wanted you to know that it can be expensive to own a dog. It is also very time consuming. I would strongly suggest that you adopt a beagle since there are many that have been dumped. Many people don't seem to realize the time and energy it takes to have one.

I'm not trying to scare you away from a beagle. I love beagles and I love my dog dearly. I haven't regretted having her in my life at all. I would never even have considered giving her away.

Good luck with your search.

Last edited by Beaglemom; June 1st, 2005 at 08:56 AM.
Old June 1st, 2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Listen to BeagleMom - she is telling it as it is. By the way, my aunt lost her Sunday roast to her Beagle. She brought in the carving knife and called people to the table - hard to carve an empty platter.

BeagleMom, I really hope your dog does not develop back/neck problems. I was floored when the surgeon told me his dogs were Beagles - I just made the logical assumption due to his expertise and obviously super love of the breed that he had Dachshunds. I did mention that we had had a Beagle before we started adopting Dachshunds and that we never had a vet bill except for annual shots. Guess this is why he told me - with the way my luck has gone - 2 pups worst case - the last thing he wanted was to be called in at midnight to operate on yet another of my dogs, only this time to have it turn out to be a Beagle. I saw one pass our street yesterday - must find out where he lives and visit - without my Eskimo who feels emotionally insecure when we meet hounds - senses the bonding I guess.