Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:25 AM

None of the usual "sick" signs, but something is still not right.

In my post from last weekend concerning my fears of possible aspiration pneumonia, I detailed General's recent episode of soft stools and occassional mucus and diarrhea. I was worried because General seemed to have inhaled some of his liquid meds, and because I had started to notice some mild behaviour/personality changes that seemed to conincide with this. Both the receptionist and the vet seemed unconcerned about the possibility of aspiration pneumonia, and said I'd know it if he had it (noisy breathing and such).

So, what I'm wondering is if anyone can make some suggestions about what might be going on here and other things I should be aware of, because General seems, to those other than me, to be just fine.

General is showing these, what I would consider "healthy" signs...

-eating (normally, though I will note a slightly reduced interest in crunchies, but he is still eagerly anticipating his wet food in the evenings)
-drinking
-peeing (usually twice a day)
-pooping (usually once a day, no diarrhea, mucus, or blood)
-purring
-cuddling
-grooming himself
-jumping up on his seat by the window or my lap
-running around the house like a nut in the early hours (like right now!)
-using his scratch pad

So, what do I consider to be the "something's off" signs?

-more tail twitching and slapping than usual
-irritability
-occassional "don't pet me" signs, such as gentle biting or kicking, irritated (but seemingly not pained) vocalizations, and he hissed at his string the other day and at me last night
-occassional slightly watery eyes
-almost none of his usually enthusiastic head butting
-a different look in his eyes: he's usually wide-eyed and relaxed or playful, but he has a more serious, tense/tired look... more of a flat stare.

I do plan on taking him to the vet, though I'm not sure what the vet hours are like considering the holiday. These symptoms don't sound like "emergency" symptoms to me, but correct me if I'm wrong.

When I last spoke to the vet on Thursday, I did express that I felt General was not his usual self -- irratable and just "off." When I asked about lingering effects of the meds, she told me the Metronidazole he had been taking until Tuesday morning should be completely out of his system by the end of the weekend, but to call if I still had concerns. So, of course, I will.

But does anyone have ideas about things I should pay more attention to? Things to ask the vet? Ideas about what could be going on? I'm stumped!

I appreciate any suggestions.