Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 14th, 2010, 08:48 AM

Unhappy Cat peeing/pooping on dog's bed - argh!

I'm at a loss. I don't know what else to do at this point.

Background:
- adopted Molly when she was a kitten, she is now going on 11 years old. She's always been skittish and never really secure and bold. When we adopted her we had our other cat, Sylvester, who was put down about 2 years ago from cancer. She ADORED him - but when he was gone, she didn't really seem to mourn.
- adopted Mr Miyagi when he was a kitten (2 years ago - about a 2-3 weeks after we lost Sylvester). His poppa was a feral/stray as far as we were told, so we aren't sure if that has anything to do with his behaviour. He's crazy crazy hyper (understandable as he's still a young cat).
- Loki arrived last summer - Mr Miyagi adjusted within days, Molly is still adjusting. She does come around when he's out and about, but always up on the couch, etc so she can keep a proper eye on him. She eats when he's around, so to me - stress level is at a minimal now.

The issue we are having is Molly (we are assuming - she was caught in the act once) is pooping and sometimes peeing on Loki's beds. I am 99% sure it's behavioural and not medical. At first I was thinking she was still rightly angry about this big beast of a dog invading her home, but now I'm wondering if it's the torment from Mr Miyagi instead. Because she's so skittish, it's almost like Mr Miyagi picks up on that and is even MORE dominant and aggressive with her. He chases her up into our guest room (where she would happily live for the rest of her life, I swear). If she's out and about, he gives her chase. So - is this peeing/pooping thing because of issue with Loki still? Or - is Mr Miyagi making it impossible for her to get downstairs to the litterbox?

I've changed Loki's beds around. I've put Feliway next to it (started that a month ago). I would hate to seclude Molly to one room - I feel guilty enough as it is that we have chaos and unrest in our house.

I think if 1 of the cats were to go - we'd have balance. I'm not really open or comfortable with rehoming though - they are all my babies and I want it to work. I also can't envision dealing with this for another 8 years possibly :/

I'm open to suggestions - anything you got. I'm at my wits end.
Old August 14th, 2010, 09:08 AM
-

Loki Love , I would start with a vet check up just to make sure and rule out any health issues. But I do agree it sounds behavioral.

Winston (member here) had that same problem with one of her cat peeing on the doggy bed. I'll pm her this thread so she can give you some advices.
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
I am 99% sure it's behavioural and not medical.
Still always a good idea to make 100% sure with a vet check.

Quote:
If she's out and about, he gives her chase. So - is this peeing/pooping thing because of issue with Loki still? Or - is Mr Miyagi making it impossible for her to get downstairs to the litterbox?
This is quite likely a huge part of the problem. Can you put another litter box somewhere that she has easier access to? Where is the litter box located currently? Do you have more than one, and are they covered or uncovered? Are they scooped at least daily (preferably twice/day)?

Quote:
I've changed Loki's beds around. I've put Feliway next to it (started that a month ago).
Spraying Feliway directly on the bed might work better, although my sense is that Feliway is geared more to territorial marking, and I don't think that's what's going on here. Put the diffuser where Molly spends most of her time so that it helps her to feel calmer overall.

ETA - One more suggestion: not sure what litter you currently use, but try switching to Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract. That, combined with another closer box, might really help.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; August 14th, 2010 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added something
Old August 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Still always a good idea to make 100% sure with a vet check.
I agree - it's best to be safe than sorry. I will make an appointment this week.

Quote:
This is quite likely a huge part of the problem. Can you put another litter box somewhere that she has easier access to? Where is the litter box located currently? Do you have more than one, and are they covered or uncovered? Are they scooped at least daily (preferably twice/day)?
I think we are going to have to put a second litter box up on the main floor. We currently have one in the basement (we've always had just the one for two cats without incident prior). The current one is covered - I will probably stick to a covered one for upstairs as well. The one we have is scooped daily.

Quote:
Spraying Feliway directly on the bed might work better, although my sense is that Feliway is geared more to territorial marking, and I don't think that's what's going on here. Put the diffuser where Molly spends most of her time so that it helps her to feel calmer overall.
The only Feliway I have is the diffuser - not sure where to get the spray since I snagged this stuff through work (given I work for the pharma company). I initially got the Feliway to try and help Molly feel calmer.. and maybe even help Mr Miyagi calm down some.

Quote:
ETA - One more suggestion: not sure what litter you currently use, but try switching to Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract. That, combined with another closer box, might really help.
I'm going to look for this litter tomorrow - thank you!
Old August 14th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Loki Love I have had some similiar issues as Frenchy mentioned. What I can say is that you have received some really good advice and most importantly the vet visit.

My female cat Tabitha started this behaviour during the past year with our dog and his bed and crate. She would pee on the bed or blankets that belonged to him and would also go and pee in the crate. Basically what we ended up doing was removing the dog beds and blankets and closed the crate area and she stopped. Then my male cat started to do the same thing and as it sadly turned out his kidneys were failing and we lost him 1 month ago. I also use 2 litter boxes and still do even though I am down to 1 cat now.

If your kitty hasnt had blood and urine done lately I would highly reccomend it!

Good Luck

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM

don't give up

I find it impossible to train a cat and have a female cat who poops and pees in dog beds almost every day. My solution is to cover the beds with plastic, and put a washable fleece blanket on top of the plastic. At least now, I can clean up the messes easily.
Old December 9th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbump5 View Post
I find it impossible to train a cat and have a female cat who poops and pees in dog beds almost every day. My solution is to cover the beds with plastic, and put a washable fleece blanket on top of the plastic. At least now, I can clean up the messes easily.
This is an old post , from 2010 .
Old December 9th, 2013, 07:27 PM

Happy to report everything was resolved and we haven't had any issues for a while now.

It was in fact UTI.. and we have put a second litter box in place since. Molly still isn't a fan of Loki but they do get along much better now