Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old July 27th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Need ADVICE ASAP!!!!

I have taken on 2 kittens, brothers, ages 3 1/2 months old and weigh 4 1/2 lbs. each. They will be 4 months on the 30th. The girl that had them, is a young student, who at the moment is working 2 jobs. A friend of a friend. She leaves in the morning and doesn't get home until around 11:30 P.M. She took in a stray mama who had 5 babies. Was able to find homes for 3 of them. She and her roomate decided to keep mama & 2 kitties. Got too overwhelmed with coming home and having to clean up the litter box and vomit most of the time. I was concerned when she told me about the vomiting and asked what she was feeding them. She would either buy the Wal-Mart brand or any other brand that was on sale. She figured they would prefer a variety of foods. She asked if I could take them until she finishes her first job on the 30th of August. I've had them now for just over a week. She was feeding them Purina Cat Chow at the time. I bought the Purina Kitten Chow and started to introduce them to that. I brought them to the vet on Monday, for their first checkup and shots. Mentioned to the vet about the vomiting and he said to buy a food for sensitive stomachs. They didn't vomit for 3 1/2 days, so I assumed that the kitten chow was helping. NOT!!!! They vomited again on Thursday and then again yesterday. So I have taken them off the dry food and gave them a bit of Friskies wet since that's all I had at the time.
What I would like to know, if anyone else has had this problem with kittens and what brand of food do you recommend. I also found out yesterday from the girl that the mama cat was also vomiting. I find it very strange that all 3 should have this problem. Do you think that it could be something else, besides the food? Apart from that, they are normal little kitties. Full of vim & Viniger.
I'm sorry this is so long, but if anyone could give me some good sound advice, I would really appreciate it.
They stay in my room, because I have 7 cats in the house, 1 dog and another little rescue girl of 11 weeks, who will be going to her new home next weekend.
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I would find a good quality canned food (something like Wellness) and stop the Friskies, which has poor quality ingredients (lots of by-products). Stick with one food for a while, it's possible they've had too many diet changes too fast. And you're right to stay away from kibble. You could also try mixing a small amount of slippery elm bark into the canned food (with extra water). It's soothing to the digestive tract.

http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...em=slipperyelm
http://www.catinfo.org/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 27th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Thank you so much for your reply Sugarcatmom and for the very informative link.

Yes, I took them off the Friskies as they threw that up also. Since I have no other cat food to give them, I gave them a little bit of Gerber's baby chicken with some Rice Pablum, in hopes that this will settle their little tummy's until I can go and get some food for sensitive tummy's tomorrow. I've never heard of Wellness or the slippery elm bark for that matter. I will have to check out what they have at the vets. Do you recommend that I stick with the wet food instead of the dry?
Okay, never mind that last question, I just finished reading most of the link that you provided and it is obvious that they recommend wet food.
I have a Natural Food Store around the corner from me, so I will go there tomorrow to see if they have any Slippery Elm.

Last edited by rg_girlca; July 27th, 2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:45 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_girlca View Post
I've never heard of Wellness or the slippery elm bark for that matter. I will have to check out what they have at the vets.

You will not find Wellness or any other premium quality food at the veterinarian clinic. They are only available at local independent pet food stores.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:45 AM

Thank you Rainbow for pointing that out to me. I guess I will be spending my morning checking out our local pet stores.
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM
chronically insane.

They might be allergic to the dye or soy or any of those odd ingredients used in those food brands.

I never realized how terrible foods like Friskies and Meow Mix really were, until the day I ran out of their good food the users on here told me to get (Innova Evo at the time), and my mom ended up just tossing some Friskies/Meow Mix type food in there from the discount store to hold them over until we could run to the pet store. That night and all the next day they were either refusing to eat it, or the ones who did were puking up orange vomit everywhere. So yeah, apparently dyes are bad for your cat.

Yeah and don't get anything from the vet. I've always known Science Diet was not worth it. Or Iams. They are too expensive and you really are not getting what you pay for at all.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009