Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 12th, 2010, 11:30 AM

Is it okay to freeze dry kitty food?

Just curious - my husband accidentally bought a huge new bag of their dry food (they eat Natural Balance Green Pea & Duck), and they eat so little of it (like 1/6 cup per day per kitty) that we put it in the freezer to prevent it from drying out or going bad. Now it's months later and I'm concerned it's not fresh - any thoughts? Is it okay to freeze dry kitty food?

I'm a mile from the holistic kitty food store, so I can always go get a new bag if needed.

Thanks in advance! And for anyone that's followed my ridiculous wet food drama with the kitties - we're now on Natural Balance Duck & Green Pea canned food. They love it and their bowel movements are normal - fingers crossed that it stays that way! Turns out when we removed chicken from their diets they fared much better - I'd never heard of a kitty being allergic to chicken before! But then again no one in this house is anywhere approaching "normal" so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.