Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM

Question Dog help! Can't stand up!

Hi everyone, I'm new to the site and I didn't know where else to ask for help.
My dog, Ringo, who is around 1 years old is unable to stand up like he doesn't have the strength.
Thursday I found him laying in the yard not able to move like he was paralyzed. We got him up put him in the shade and gave him water. After a few hours he was able to stand and take a few steps but his back legs wouldn't work very well like he forgot how to use them and he would fall back over. Eventually he could stand on his own and walk just fine with a small awkward limp type thing where his butt would sway. Today, Saturday, He was doing the same thing just laying down breathing hard and panting. He can move his legs but cant stand on them like he has no strength at all. I did the same thing so far, carried him to the shade and gave him water. He's out there now. Any ideas of what happened? Or what I should do?
I have a theory of a snake bite but I figure more swelling would occur and there wouldn't really be a grace period where he could walk and get around fine.
Old May 12th, 2012, 01:07 PM

Ringo needs to see a vet. That is the only advice that I am able to offer, but this could be very serious and he needs to see a vet.
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

If Ringo were my dog, I would have taken him to the vet as soon as I found him in the yard like that. Hopefully he's there by now.

Let us know what happens, and good luck.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 12th, 2012, 02:58 PM

There could be so many things going wrong, from a pinched nerve to a neurological problem. No matter what the theoretical cause is, a dog that can't lift it's own weight is a dog that NEEDS vet care and quickly. I would highly suggest taking your pup into an emergency clinic ASAP. Keep us updated on how everything is going
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old May 12th, 2012, 03:02 PM

I agree with the advice given, you dog needs to see a vet NOW. I wouldn't waste any time posting here we are not vets and can not guess and obviously your dog needs one. A dog having troubles breathing and not able to walk, is an emergency. There are 24hr vets, if your vet is not open, please take Ringo to the ER now.
Old May 12th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Wow... this happened Thursday?! You could have taken him to a regular vet, but now it will be an ER visit. I sure hope that poor baby isn't suffering too badly. If he can't walk... something is seriously wrong. You ask what to do? Take him to the vet...

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 12th, 2012, 07:51 PM

Would someone kindly explain to me why people take the time to search the internet, join groups, ask questions when its just so obvious that their fur kids are suffering and in need of a vet. I am sorry but it angers me so much. Sure we all have asked questions, asked for advice, but if your animal is having labored breathing and can not stand up is it not obvious what needs to be done? Sigh...so sad!
Old May 12th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
Would someone kindly explain to me why people take the time to search the internet, join groups, ask questions when its just so obvious that their fur kids are suffering and in need of a vet. I am sorry but it angers me so much. Sure we all have asked questions, asked for advice, but if your animal is having labored breathing and can not stand up is it not obvious what needs to be done? Sigh...so sad!
Kasianni, that is something I will never understand either. If it's an "obvious" emergency, please take them to a vet... don't let them suffer

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 13th, 2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
It can definitely be frustrating to read, but you have to remember that not everyone thinks alike.

Not saying the following is a reason for the OP, but here are a couple common reasons that people don't seek veterinary care:

Money is often an issue for many people. You might say, why own a pet if you can't afford a vet visit? Well, many people can't afford health care for themselves or even their children either, and they keep on living. At the worst end of it, there are many pets in the hands of very poor people where the pets really are lucky just to have someone pet them and give them an occasional bite to eat. Like people, not all pets are born or adopted into loving, caring homes. Sometimes these homes really are loving and caring, but money has to go to feed the humans first. You think the animal rescues are overwhelmed now? If all the unlucky pets in North America were put into animal rescues, boy would we have a problem.

Another reason is that within many social/religious/ethnic groups animals aren't perceived to be of much significance. This is hard for an animal lover to understand, but there are a lot of people like this in the world.

For every pet that is suffering, there are people suffering too. That is a fact of life as we know it. Kiss your own furbabies and know that they are very lucky to be owned by an animal lover, and remember that you are also very lucky to be in a position to provide that loving home for your pets. for those humans and animals that aren't.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:45 AM

I totally agree. Money is often an issues. I stopped working a while ago because of health reasons so I don't have the savings I use to have. However I have never heard of a vet turning away an animal that is suffering, do they do that?
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:37 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is that this forum is a great educational tool. People come here to ask questions, whether we think the answer is common sense is irrelevant. We are here to answer the question and educate. Not to criticize someone for asking.

And yes, vets will turn away animals if there is no hope of payment. Or they'll treat with the condition that the animal becomes the full responsibility of the facility, ie. surrender your pet to them.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old May 13th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that people who can't afford a lot of money for a treatment should still be able to have a pet. Everyone should have the privilege of having something that will bring some love and light into their lives. BUT... what I don't agree with is not having anything at all put aside for them. If you have taken the responsibility for another life, then you need to make sure you can at least afford a vet visit and euth. if the animal is suffering, whether it be a dog, cat, rat etc. To allow an animal that you know is in distress to suffer is not only inhumane, but unethical. Not everyone can afford thousands, but anyone should be able to afford a couple hundred to at least put the pet out of it's suffering, if they can't afford treatment. If you can't at least provide that, then no, you shouldn't have a pet.

Old May 13th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digston View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that this forum is a great educational tool. People come here to ask questions, whether we think the answer is common sense is irrelevant. We are here to answer the question and educate. Not to criticize someone for asking.

And yes, vets will turn away animals if there is no hope of payment. Or they'll treat with the condition that the animal becomes the full responsibility of the facility, ie. surrender your pet to them.
I was not criticizing, its hard to hear of pets suffering.
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price View Post
My dog, Ringo, who is around 1 years old is unable to stand up like he doesn't have the strength.
Thursday I found him laying in the yard not able to move like he was paralyzed. We got him up put him in the shade and gave him water. After a few hours he was able to stand and take a few steps but his back legs wouldn't work very well like he forgot how to use them and he would fall back over. Eventually he could stand on his own and walk just fine with a small awkward limp type thing where his butt would sway. Today, Saturday, He was doing the same thing just laying down breathing hard and panting. He can move his legs but cant stand on them like he has no strength at all. I did the same thing so far, carried him to the shade and gave him water. He's out there now. Any ideas of what happened? Or what I should do?
I have a theory of a snake bite but I figure more swelling would occur and there wouldn't really be a grace period where he could walk and get around fine.
Get your dog to a vet ASAP. Have bloodwork run, and check for tick disease, along with whatever else the vet thinks it might be, including poisons.

check to see if there are any attached ticks (tick paralysis).
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was not criticizing, its hard to hear of pets suffering.
Kasianni, I'm right there with ya! And I do tend to criticize, I'll admit it. Especially if it seems to be something that is common sense. I would do anything I could for my babies. I realize not everyone would, and that's ok. But at least have the decency to provide the very basics, which unfortunately include euth if one can't afford treatment. If you can't at least provide that, then you shouldn't have a pet. That's my opinion and I know not everyone will agree, and that's ok

Old May 14th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price View Post
Hopefully you hve been to the Vet by now. How is your dog?
Old August 16th, 2014, 08:40 PM

Dog can't stand up on its own

Our 3 year old dog just experienced the same issue and was unable to stand up suddenly. It turned out he has Myasthenia Gravis which is a neurological disorder and easily treated with medication.

Tags
dog behaviour, trouble, trouble standing, trouble walking