Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old May 6th, 2016, 09:45 AM

It happens when you least expect it...

It's been less than a month since we lost Truman to HSA. He was such a good boy- from the moment we saw his goofy smile at the local shelter until he gave me his last sloppy wet kiss. People might not like black dogs, but everyone commented on how handsome he was. I miss him more than I ever thought possible.
We knew we were going to get another doggie. It's too quiet and too lonely without one. We had a long talk about it. Truman was seven years old when he came home with us. It was an amazing feeling knowing we had given him a second chance when others wouldn't give him a second look. Three and a half years just isn't long enough. We were going to have to be a little more selfish this time and get someone a little younger. We went to the local shelter about two weeks ago and sponsored a 9-year-old chihuahua named Peanut, and she found a home two days later. Still feeling guilty about wanting a young dog, we went back to a different shelter to sponsor another senior, when I saw her.
The name on her cage said Sandra, but I knew she was Rosie. We spent about an hour with her, and left to talk about it. We were back in 45 minutes. She's sleeping with the hubs as we speak. She might be, without any exaggeration, the cutest dog I have ever seen. She's 2 years old, and she's never had a home. She has a few behavioral issues and she doesn't do well with children, but I think we can make it work. So, here's Rosie...
Attached Images

Old May 6th, 2016, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

She is adorable ! My last dog was a black standard poodle and he was a very handsome proud dog , I had people tell he looked so proud of himself and some people were afraid of him b/c he was black.
If I lived in a house instead of a damn condo I would have 2 dogs .
Old May 6th, 2016, 11:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, what a doll!! She's 2? She looks like a puppy! Tell her that I don't do well with most children, either, so I can empathize! Children can be scary!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh, what a doll!! She's 2? She looks like a puppy! Tell her that I don't do well with most children, either, so I can empathize! Children can be scary!

That's what they told us. Oh, dear. I would hate if she were the reason we had to move out of our crappy, tiny one- bedroom apartment.

I'm not fond of kids, either. (Funny story- <maybe> right after we got Truman, I was walking him and this little kid- maybe 7 or 8- approached me and informed me that I wasn't allowed to walk my dog outside. When I asked why, he said, "My grandma says he bites". I responded with, "Well, she lied. And you know what happens to liars." He ran away crying for his poor grandmother's soul- doomed to eternal damnation.)
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I see you have the same touch with kids that I do!

At least Grandma was sort of educating him to not go up to strange dogs and give them a hug! Probably saved him a bite or two during his lifetime!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 6th, 2016, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I see you have the same touch with kids that I do!

At least Grandma was sort of educating him to not go up to strange dogs and give them a hug! Probably saved him a bite or two during his lifetime!
I know, and she was probably wise. But, don't slander my dog.
Old May 6th, 2016, 09:41 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, sorry--that's not what I meant! I meant that if he went up to every strange dog he saw and hugged them (like some kids I've met), he was bound to run into one eventually that wouldn't take kindly to that.... Not meaning that Truman would have!

Old May 7th, 2016, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Oh, sorry--that's not what I meant! I meant that if he went up to every strange dog he saw and hugged them (like some kids I've met), he was bound to run into one eventually that wouldn't take kindly to that.... Not meaning that Truman would have!
The worst part of forums is that you can't tell sometimes if someone is being serious or kidding. I knew exactly what you were saying and totally agreed. I was being a bit facetious.
Old May 7th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

She's a cutie, it was meant to be. Any idea on her mix? When she's lying down like that it's hard to get a good look and to see how big she is. Beautiful photos, someone is a good photographer.
Old May 7th, 2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
She's a cutie, it was meant to be. Any idea on her mix? When she's lying down like that it's hard to get a good look and to see how big she is. Beautiful photos, someone is a good photographer.
I can fix that! They call her terrier mix. Her face looks like like a pug with boxer's snout. She's just a little over 30 pounds- all muscle! I wish I could take credit for those photos. They really are good!
Attached Images

Old May 7th, 2016, 11:14 AM
Senior Contributor

how tall is she . I have a mini poodle mix I think he part terrier and he weight about 17 -18 lbs. and when he get his summer haircut he weight less .
Old May 7th, 2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
how tall is she . I have a mini poodle mix I think he part terrier and he weight about 17 -18 lbs. and when he get his summer haircut he weight less .
On all fours, she's probably knee-high. (Of course, I'm at work and not looking at her.)
Old May 7th, 2016, 12:55 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Gol dang, Rosie is such a stunner! I can see why you fell in love with the little cutie! Plus, she's perfect lap size, I'll bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staciewells1 View Post
The worst part of forums is that you can't tell sometimes if someone is being serious or kidding. I knew exactly what you were saying and totally agreed. I was being a bit facetious.
Whew! I always have to be careful cuz at the best of times, my sense of humor tends to be warped, and my brain doesn't always connect well with my fingers!

Old May 25th, 2016, 12:31 PM

The mystery is solved! I am the proud parent of a Puggle!
Since I don't like the idea of "designer dogs", I'm planning on telling people who ask about her breed- and they do- that she's a mutt. I would hate for someone to go buy one at a pet store or a backyard breeder because they've seen Rosie.
Old May 25th, 2016, 05:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

She's a cutie, no matter what you call her! How did you figure it out?

Old May 26th, 2016, 03:21 AM

You have a blessed heart madame!