Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 5th, 2011, 08:42 PM

10 Year Old

I have a sick 10 year old kitty, Gemini. He used to be a sturdy 15lb fluff ball. Now he probably weighs less than 8lbs and is losing fur on his back legs and belly. Me or my husband will take him to the vet this week, tomorrow or the day after. I think he may be diabetic. He is drinking a lot of water, urinating a lot, and doesn't have much of an appetite. I have been enticing him to eat by mixing his dry food with Tiki Cat wet food and adding NuproMax Health Nuggets for Cats to it. His teeth look fine, for a 10 year old kibble fed cat so mouth pain is not the cause. His symptoms are rapid weight loss, fur loss, loss of appetite and drinking a lot. He isn't lethargic or trying to hide. He is still his sweet loving self. I'm posting on here to see if anyone has any ideas what could be wrong with him.
I will let you guys know what the vet says. I really hope he is just diabetic. I can manage diabetes. I am so scared he has some kind of cancer or organ failure. Please keep Gemini in your thoughts and send us as much positivity as you can muster.
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Could be a few things, the Big 3 being diabetes, hyperthyroidism or renal issues, or possibly something less common. Only a full work up at the vet will give you some answeres. May I suggest taking him to the vet tomorrow morning? If it is diabetes, he's at great risk of developing ketoacidosis, which is life threatening and potentially very expensive to treat. Cats can go downhill extremely fast once they get ketones, so time is of the essence. How long has he been showing these symptoms?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 5th, 2011, 09:31 PM

He started not eating on Friday morning. He will eat if I mix the dry with some wet. He ate Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and today. I noticed Friday he didn't eat any of the food I put down. He is usually the first one to eat, pushing my hand out of the way if I don't move it fast enough. That was the first sign that something was terribly wrong with him. He has been drinking a lot of water in last few days also. His weight loss was slow at first, I figured it was because he is getting old and may not like the food as much as the one before. I switched from EVO Grain Free to Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken. He seems to have declined once I switched to that food, could be coincidence. None of the other cats are losing weight. I will definitely get him in there tomorrow. If I am not able to take him due to work I will get my husband to take him.

I have had Gemini and his brother Libra since they were 8 weeks old. They are so special to me. They have been with me through the toughest time in my life. Those 2 cats need each other, they haven't been separated since they were in the womb!
Old September 9th, 2011, 05:01 PM

Update

I took Gemini to the vet and got horrible news. He has a mass in his abdomen and heart murmur. He will go for an ultrasound and xrays on Monday and had blood drawn today. After he has had the ultrasound, xrays and we get the blood work back we can figure how best to treat the tumor. Please send all the positive vibes you can our way and I will do whatever it takes to save my kitty.
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Mickey, my angel

Sending lots of to you and Gemini.

Please keep us updated when you get the rest of the results.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old September 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry to hear the news, FurryMom! Lots of headed your way from here, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 10th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Furrymom,lots of from here too for Gemini and you
Old September 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM

Thanks for the positive vibes, everyone. The vet gave an appetite stimulant, but I still had to syringe feed him last night. He ate on his own this morning and will hopefully eat on his own the rest of the day. He needs some serious nutrition. I am hoping he will start gaining some weight soon. I know it will take time and we have to take care of the tumor and hear murmur for him to start gaining. He definitely can't lose anymore.
Old September 10th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

It's good to read he was eating on his own,hopefully he'll get stronger.
Any idea what the mass could be??
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:07 PM

Update. Terrible news

Gemini was kept overnight at the clinic to get fluids to bring his kidney values down. I got a call from the vet this morning and she said Gemini had ate for her last night and he seemed to be doing better. I got a call this afternoon and she told me that he was declining. His red blood cells were critically low and he would need a blood transfusion. I told her to do the transfusion. I left work and went to the clinic to visit him and talk to the doctor. She said that he was getting worse and worse and his chances of declining more were better than him getting better. I made the hardest decision a pet owner/lover has to make. I decided to not put him through any more stress and trauma and let him go. When I got there he couldn't stand up and could not hold his head up for any period of time. He just couldn't fight anymore.
I am beside myself with grief for my lost baby. I had him for 10 years and 2 days. I wish more than anything I could have saved him. I will miss his kitty hugs.

Gemini. Mommy loves you so much!!
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:08 PM

Chico, the pathology results came back today. He had lymphoma. They also found another mass on one of his kidneys. He also had kidney failure. So we had a lot going on and he didn't have the strength to fight.
Old September 13th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

What a terribly sad time for you, FurryMom. My condolences on Gemini's passing, and a great big hug to you. Gemini is free of the constraints of his ailing body but lives on in your heart and in the wonderful memories you have of him.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 14th, 2011, 01:23 AM

sweet Gemini He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 14th, 2011, 09:23 PM

Thanks, Sugarcatmom and growler. He was the best hugger ever! He gave me some head bumps before he went to sleep. I still can't believe that my sweet baby is gone.
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry to hear the news, FurryMom. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers tonight.

Gemini

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."