Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 4th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Senior Contributor

2,000 dollars later and still no answers.

My son and his fiance, had to put their cat Cobalt to sleep yesterday, after he became suddenly ill last week. They spent just over 2,000 dollars in tests and ultra sounds and x-rays. Unfortunately they were given no diagnosis, just a lot of "maybe it's this, maybe it's that, let's do this test and "redo" this test".
I know there is only so much a vet can do, but I can't help but think that these kids were "taken" just a little bit.:sad:
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you ask for medical file and have another vet look at the findings...I don;t even know if thats possible..but it really would put their minds to rest knowing that all they did was all they could do...sorry about what happened.RIp Cobalt:sad:
Old March 4th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Cobalt. I'm sorry to hear that. Sometimes there really aren't any clear answers when trying to find out what's ailing our furry friends, even with all the fancy diagnostics. I had a cat get very ill a few years ago and I eventually had to put him down despite spending massive amounts of money. It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but I would have spent 10X that much if I knew it could have saved him. My condolences to your son and DIL.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess I'm a little upset about it because the kids described this vet as very "distant", they said he made them feel like an inconvienence. They thought about going to a different vet, but after having invested so much time and money with the one they had, starting the whole process with someone new wasn't an option financially.
I asked them if they requested an autopsy of some sort to see if they could possibly find the issue, they did ask and when told it would cost another 1,500 dollars, they decided against it. Besides it really wouldn't make a difference.
They would've spent more trying to find a diagnosis, but after more than a week and recieving "blind" treatments that weren't improving his situation, they were afraid he was suffering too much, and they couldn't live with that.

Perhaps I'm being overly sensitive because my "kids" are hurting, and it's coming up to the 2nd anniversary of losing my own cat Shamu. (sigh)
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:54 AM
-

Sorry to hear that LMPG little Cobalt.

I had the same kind of experience with my tabby Tinka 15 years ago, didn't spend $2,000 but $950, so in today's dollars not far off, same thing test after test in the meantime poor Tinka was just wasting away, when the Vet suggested more tests to see "if", I said no...I couldn't handle seeing him suffer any longer.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Sorry to hear that LMPG little Cobalt.

I had the same kind of experience with my tabby Tinka 15 years ago, didn't spend $2,000 but $950, so in today's dollars not far off, same thing test after test in the meantime poor Tinka was just wasting away, when the Vet suggested more tests to see "if", I said no...I couldn't handle seeing him suffer any longer.
I hear ya Chris! What gets me is this vet actually seemed offended when the kids decided no more. My son said he was very indifferent throughout the whole process, such a difference from my own vet who is fantastic.
This vet just had no "bedside manner" by the sounds of it, whereas my vet has sat and cried with me during some difficult times, and has always worked with us when things were financially tight.
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
I hear ya Chris! What gets me is this vet actually seemed offended when the kids decided no more. My son said he was very indifferent throughout the whole process, such a difference from my own vet who is fantastic.
This vet just had no "bedside manner" by the sounds of it, whereas my vet has sat and cried with me during some difficult times, and has always worked with us when things were financially tight.
My Vet when needed has worked with me regarding payment, but I've heard from other people that she is not as co-operative as she was in the past, that disappoints me that she has become like that. She has raised her fees considerably, just making it downright unaffordable for some people :sad:
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear about Colbalt . Even if they found out what was going on there may not have been any cure, so IMO, they did the best that they could for him.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey