Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old July 9th, 2017, 11:31 PM

There was an interesting article on the radio news tonight regarding a state of emergency over injured turtles in Ontario. I found the article on the web site and I feel it's well worth the read, for anyone travelling on the highways and biways.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbur...ency-1.4190813

Some of the highlighted headings in the article are well worth investigation. The last one indicates where the turtle rehabilitation main centre is. It's called the turtle Trauma Centre.
Old July 10th, 2017, 11:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We've been seeing lots of them on the road here in WI, too. In fact, we just moved a beautiful painted turtle off a gravel road yesterday. They do seem to love the rain.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 10th, 2017, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

My daughter saw a turtle on the road once so she stopped her car and got out and move the turtle next the swamp that it was heading to. She know I am crazy about turtles . I couldn't read the story b/c it too upsetting to me.
Old October 4th, 2017, 03:50 PM

June 16 @ 9am I watched this snapping turtle lay her eggs.
I was so disappointed when I saw that they had hatched sometime during the night on September 29th.
There seems to be different hatch days though as I saw this little baby on the driveway this morning. Keeping this one for the day while I keep an eye out for any more. Will then take them to the lake to give them a better chance at surviving any predators during their long walk back to the lake.

Such an exciting day 🐢
Attached Images

Old October 4th, 2017, 04:13 PM

Couple more picks of Snapper Hatchling
Attached Images

Old October 4th, 2017, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I just love turtles !

Last edited by Barkingdog; October 6th, 2017 at 04:26 PM.
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:51 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, that's awesome, Lynne! I hope you find more!

So what does the nest site look like after the eggs hatch? Does it look like it exploded or are they neater diggers than that?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 5th, 2017, 09:58 PM

Hi there Lynne:

Glad to see the photos of the cute little snapper. We were wondering just last week if anything was going on - we hadn't heard from you for quite a spell.

Has there been any further hatchlings? Did you have any success with the painted turtles?

Years ago when we were travelling the roads through that area, in a Spring rain especially in the evening, the little green frogs would come out onto the highway in droves, making it slippery to drive on. Is that still happening?
Old October 6th, 2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Oh, that's awesome, Lynne! I hope you find more!

So what does the nest site look like after the eggs hatch? Does it look like it exploded or are they neater diggers than that?
I keep looking for more but haven't seen any further hatchlings. I'm surprised they don't all hatch at once. Learning lots living out here

The nest site is surprisingly neat and tidy
Attached Images

Old October 6th, 2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post
Hi there Lynne:

Glad to see the photos of the cute little snapper. We were wondering just last week if anything was going on - we hadn't heard from you for quite a spell.

Has there been any further hatchlings? Did you have any success with the painted turtles?

Years ago when we were travelling the roads through that area, in a Spring rain especially in the evening, the little green frogs would come out onto the highway in droves, making it slippery to drive on. Is that still happening?
I'm so glad to have seen one too Reg!
In my mind I imagined I would see all these hatchlings making their way to the lake 🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢🐢!
Not the case though as they seem to be mostly hatching in the night. Every morning I see what looks like chipmunk holes but I think it's hatching holes from the turtles. The yard is full of holes and with all this activity I've only seen the one wee guy I'm so thrilled though

Yes to your question about the frogs. Sadly the frogs don't usually survive on the roads Not sure why they are attracted to the highways?
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:51 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Now you've got me wondering if some of the holes we're finding in the yard aren't from baby turtles! We're just north of a 20 acre wooded wetland, so I suppose it could be possible. I'd rather have turtles than the rodents I suspect are the culprits, so I think I'll start imagining them to be hatching holes.

Old October 7th, 2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Now you've got me wondering if some of the holes we're finding in the yard aren't from baby turtles! We're just north of a 20 acre wooded wetland, so I suppose it could be possible. I'd rather have turtles than the rodents I suspect are the culprits, so I think I'll start imagining them to be hatching holes.
Absolutely! You could be right as some of these turtles seem to travel quite a distance to nest. My neighbour across the road from me told me of the turtles nesting in their yard (approximately 850 feet from the lake). Poor hatchlings have a dangerous and long journey to the water 😱
Old October 8th, 2017, 08:08 AM

Last pics of the hatchling.
Attached Images