Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Happy Birthday

Old January 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Happy Birthday Rgeurts

hope your day is a good one
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Senior Contributor

happy happy birthday, hope its a wonderful day!!!
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:48 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

happy birthday, Rgeurts!!

May this be the start of a most excellent year!!!! Hope you and the boys have a joyous celebration!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 29th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn, happy birthday. I hope you get spoiled rotten on your special day. Does a school term start there now? School here always seemed to start on my birthday, which I thought was totally unfair, but then I didn't really like school.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM

Happy Birthday Robyn! I hope your boys spoil you today!
Old January 29th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Happy Birthday my friend I hope you have a great day!
patti
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Thank you all!! It started out pretty great, but Nookie had another seizure, so it's been a bit stressful. It's only been 2.5 weeks since the last one, so he's definitely destabilized since the incident at daycare. Not sure what Dr. Marsden is going to want to do, but I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I don't think he'll put him back on the Prednisone, though.

But again, thank you all. You're an awesome group of people

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Robyn, happy birthday. I hope you get spoiled rotten on your special day. Does a school term start there now? School here always seemed to start on my birthday, which I thought was totally unfair, but then I didn't really like school.
GF, I've been outta the loop with school so long now, I have no idea lol. I "think" the term started back in the beginning of January, but I'm not sure

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old January 29th, 2012, 04:28 PM

Sorry to hear about Nookie! I hate to hear about him having seizures - I know what it's like! I hope nothing too serious happened at daycare!!

Have you discussed zonisamide with your vet? I'll keep you posted, but we've gone two months no seizures (knock on wood) since Keely started on the zonisamide, so it's looking good.

Anyways, I hope you can still enjoy your birthday! Good luck tomorrow!
Old January 29th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Hope you had a great birthday, thinking about you and your boys.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Nookie, and disappointing for you on your birthday. Fingers crossed that you get him settled down again. Big cuddle for him from me please.
January? Well, I suppose there aren't summer holidays then for kids to enjoy in Canada. Does make me wonder how many days off school they get due to snow though.
Old January 29th, 2012, 06:43 PM

Depends on where you are! I grew up in Newfoundland, on the East Coast, and we got lots of snow days! At least 3-4 a winter, but often more. Sometimes we'd even get two in a row due to four feet of show or more. Hahah.

I remember once I had one on my birthday - October 24. What a gift! Haha.

Here in Ottawa, where I live now, they don't get many. It's too cold for lots of snow! Brrr.
Old January 29th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Doggie Wench

Happy birthday, Robyn .

Hoping this will be the last seizure for a while (forever would be nice too!) for Nookie and that you have the most wonderful year ahead of you!
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:17 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hope you had a great day Rgeurts - happy belated!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old January 30th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Happy Birthday Rguerts! I hope your day was full of slobbery kisses and lots of love! Hugs to you both and Nookie and Throin!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 30th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Robyn, sorry I missed your birthday yesterday. I hope it was overall a good day for you. Poor Nookie, I hope he stabilizes soon and puts the seizures behind him for a while. Fingers crossed for your vet trip today. That would definitely have put a damper on your day. But I'm sure you got lots of nice snuggles with him as a result. Hugs to you all. (I was out at the dog show yesterday meeting the Mal breeder!! - seems we're on again...)
Old January 30th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
Sorry to hear about Nookie! I hate to hear about him having seizures - I know what it's like! I hope nothing too serious happened at daycare!!

Have you discussed zonisamide with your vet? I'll keep you posted, but we've gone two months no seizures (knock on wood) since Keely started on the zonisamide, so it's looking good.

Anyways, I hope you can still enjoy your birthday! Good luck tomorrow!
Hi Serena! I know you can relate, unfortunately. But I'm very glad to hear the Zonisamide is working well for Keely!! 2 months is awesome
If I thought Nookies were Epilepsy, I wouldn't get so stressed out when he has them, but his are more likely due to a relapse in the meningoencephalitis from extreme stress.

The incident at daycare was horrid. All dogs are supposed to have a quick-release collar, and they have a sign stating if your dog doesn't have one, his/her collar will be removed and a quick-release put on them for the day. This is a rule they obviously don't enforce
They called and said he had gotten his jaw stuck in another dogs collar and it took the "quite awhile" to get him free and that he was really freaked out and screaming. They said after a short time he started acting strange and another dog tried to attack him, so he started running and screaming trying to get away, then fell over and had a seizure, during which time this dog attacked and starting biting him
They said it was a pretty bad seizure. He voided his bowels and it lasted at least 5 minutes, which doesn't surprise me due to the fact the other dog was allowed to attack him. He was supposed to be in with the small dogs, but they apparently had him in with the med to larger dogs that day.

He was 4.5 months without a seizure or any "off" behaviour and was doing so well that Dr. Marsden was going to wean him off all the herbs in Feb. But now he's had 3 seizures in a little over month and a half. We will be seeing him tomorrow (he wasn't in today), so I guess we will wait and see what he wants to do. And thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Poor Nookie, and disappointing for you on your birthday. Fingers crossed that you get him settled down again. Big cuddle for him from me please.
January? Well, I suppose there aren't summer holidays then for kids to enjoy in Canada. Does make me wonder how many days off school they get due to snow though.
GF, I thought you were meaning the winter term lol, sorry!! School starts here in Sept. and goes through to the end of June, but they get a winter break at Christmas, then it starts back up in the beginning of January

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Robyn, sorry I missed your birthday yesterday. I hope it was overall a good day for you. Poor Nookie, I hope he stabilizes soon and puts the seizures behind him for a while. Fingers crossed for your vet trip today. That would definitely have put a damper on your day. But I'm sure you got lots of nice snuggles with him as a result. Hugs to you all. (I was out at the dog show yesterday meeting the Mal breeder!! - seems we're on again...)
I did get lotsa snuggles from both Thorin, and Nookie for sure. He was pumped full of valium, so he had no choice in the matter
I'm such a , I have to drug my boy to cuddle him
We will talk to Dr. Marsden tomorrow, he isn't in today. I know he's going to be thinking the same thing we are, a relapse. But I don't think he will put him back on pred or pheno. He's pretty convinced that he can heal im without the use of drugs, and has done very well for our boy up to this point. It will probably be a matter of switching his herbs back to the ones that will reduce the swelling in his brain

I didn't know you were talking to Mal breeders!! One thing you want to make sure of is that the breeder is reputable and does the needed health screening. Mals are predisposed to MANY issues like Epilepsy, immune-mediated diseases (IMHA etc), immune-mediated hypothroid, hip dysplasia and chondrodysplasia. This link has some good info on things to watch for:

http://www.gocco.co.za/large_breed_diseases1.htm

One thing it doesn't mention, and I never knew... is that the red Mals can have many more issues as it isn't a natural color. It's caused by a recessive gene. Dr. Karen Marsden did a study on the "red" dogs. So even though I LOVE the coloring, I don't think I would seek out another red. Good luck to you and hubby!!

Old January 30th, 2012, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all

Old January 30th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Robyn,so sorry to hear Nookie had another seizure,your day started off good and then this.
Hope you were still able to have a special day
Old January 31st, 2012, 01:34 AM

Happy belated Birthday Robyn!

So sorry to hear about Nookie's seizure and the incident @ daycare ~ how scary!

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying