Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 13th, 2008, 04:59 PM

Whiskas Cat Milk

Hi We have been giving our cat Maggie Whiskas cat milk two or three times a week since she came to us last June. Our Vet would say she is a year old now, as far as he can tell. She is in perfect health and seems to be still growing. She drinks plenty of water and has a good appetite. Should we discontinue the cat milk now? I have learned from you to check the ingredients and it seems pretty clean. I do not see that this has been addressed before. Thanks, Laurie
Old January 13th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Honestly, I would not feed Cat Milk with any regularity. It's good to keep on hand if you need to entice an inappetant cat to eat, but it contains a lot of sugar (corn syrup solids, malt extract, dextrose....). Very hard on a cat's pancreas, not to mention completely unnecessary for an obligate carnivore (why do they put all that crap in there anyway? cat's supposedly can't taste sweetness).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 13th, 2008, 08:43 PM

Thanks. The first three ingredients were milk, dry milk and water. She was so wasted I thought it would be good for her. We have given less than one quarter cup servings. I hope it hasn't damaged her pancreas. Every mistake we have made with her has been food related. We are still learning. Laurie:sad:

Last edited by Maggieandme; January 13th, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh gosh, I didn't mean to scare you! Her pancreas won't be damaged yet, it would probably require years of regular Cat Milk. If you wanted to give it as a very occasional treat (not more than once a month), I'm sure she'd be fine. It just frustrates me to no end that companies put all these unnecessary and potentially harmful ingredients in pet food/treats with no concern for the animal's well-being. Grrrrrr.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

hi. I feed my cat whiskas cat milk every now and again. He's a bit over weight but he loves it so much I don't want to take everything away from him.
He's somewhere between 12-14 years old and he's ok. Anything in excess is bad. once in a while is fine though. it's like a treat.
Old January 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Kitty pimp

the cat milk stuff is great!! especially when you want to get some liquid in a cat if you use it as a treat a few ozs every few days theres no harm

I also feed mine half and half the more fat the less lactose in it .
Old January 14th, 2008, 07:59 PM

Is soy milk ok? I let one of mine lick my cereal bowl clean after breakfast - she loves it! She only gets a little bit on rare occasions that I eat cereal and I've noticed no harmful effect. If ok, it could be a more healthy alternative to the commercial cat milk. On that same note, if the cat likes it, other types of milk might be ok, such as rice milk.
Old January 14th, 2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice. We didn't have any experience with cats when Maggie came to us. It has been trial and error. Our intentions are good and we are trying to educate ourselves as we go along. I appreciate the support we have found here. Laurie
Old January 15th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin7 View Post
Is soy milk ok? I let one of mine lick my cereal bowl clean after breakfast - she loves it! She only gets a little bit on rare occasions that I eat cereal and I've noticed no harmful effect. If ok, it could be a more healthy alternative to the commercial cat milk. On that same note, if the cat likes it, other types of milk might be ok, such as rice milk.
Here's what the ASPCA says about soy milk: http://www.aspca.org/aspcablog/2007/...-q-oh-soy.html

Quote:
Is it safe for my five-year-old female cat to drink soy milk?
—Debra

We would not recommend feeding your cat soy milk in place of fresh water or as the major ingredient in her diet, Debra. However, if your cat likes a taste of soy milk as an occasional treat, it shouldn't cause her any harm—just keep the portion small.

In general, treats should make up no more than 5 to 10 percent of your pet's daily caloric intake. The rest of her calories should come from a high-quality, nutritionally complete cat food. It’s also important to remember that pets’ digestive systems can be very sensitive, and unfamiliar foods can cause digestive upset. If you notice your cat having problems as a result of the soy milk, we would recommend that you stop feeding it to her.

Old January 15th, 2008, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the info! I remember giving my cats a product called CatSip in the past, just looked it up, info below. They loved it, but again, I used it only as a treat. Looks like it is milk supplemented w/ lactase and taurine, no sugar.

http://www1.epinions.com/content_61187067524
Ingredients
Lowfat (1%) Grade A milk, Lactase Enzyme, and Taurine.
This product is 100% Guaranteed, with a Money-Back Guarantee.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min.)...2.5%
Crude Fat (min.)...1%
Crude Fiber (max.)...0%
Moisture (max.)...88.74%
Taurine (min.)....005%

Product Caveat
The package does advise that if you are planning on giving this to a kitten, for you to be aware that "some kittens may be sensitive to milk protein".
Old January 15th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Devoted Kitty Slave :D

my kitty cleo was raised on kitten milk because i got him really young and wiskas was the only kind we had in town ... hes doing great ( i did stopped giving it to him as soon as he was eating hard food tho )