Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Cool How To Make It Rain

on the Prairies!! Decide you're going to make a pitcher of sun tea!! There was only a 30% chance of rain earlier, so I thought ok it's nice and sunny and hot. Yup it's now cloudy and it's cooled down!
Old July 19th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Typical isn't it! About two weeks ago we had two really nice warm days and DH brought our portable air conditioner up into the house. It hasn't gone over 18 C since then. It's all his fault!

So any ideas on how to make it not rain since you've mastered making it rain? I have a HUGE bbq this weekend and I really don't want rain. We bought a 40 foot party tent from Costco so I hope your theory works, I've prepped for rain so maybe it won't rain... Could we all please cross our fingers and toes for no rain in Vancouver this Saturday. I don't have room in my house for 150 people!
Old July 19th, 2011, 04:08 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Hoping it doesn't rain on your Barbeque!! My sister lives in North Van and she grumbles about the rain, then I tell her in the winter, it's -35 without the wind chill!!

I can't say I blame you though. It would be great if you have a nice sunny weekend so I'll send some sunny vibes your way, I think we can spare a few!
Old July 19th, 2011, 10:00 PM
You can call me DOG!

So how do you make your sun tea pattymac?

We tried to make it at our office. Bought a jug of natural spring water and poured it into a glass coffee carafe. We put 7 teabags to ten cups and let it steep outside for about 3 hours but it was a little weak.

Any tips?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 19th, 2011, 11:38 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I just use a big plastic water jug. I have one I bought at Walmart, it has a thing in the top that you fill with water and freeze and then it sticks into the liquid in the jug and helps keep it cool.

Anyway today I just filled it half full of water, threw in 3 teabags and covered the top with foil and set it in the sun, most of the afternoon. Here it got pretty warm. I just used some of the Tetley herbal tea. It was warm enough to dissolve the sugar. We got about 3 drops of rain!! hahaha guess it didn't work as well as I thought it would.

It's not really strong, but then I don't like my tea very strong. Came out pretty good. You used to be able to get teabags for making iced tea. I think Lipton makes them, I know they're bigger bags. Don't know if maybe the tea is stronger though.
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It's been a long time since we made any, but I'm sure we used to let it steep for more than 3 hours. I'm remembering more of a whole-day type event...I don't drink it, though--hubby does--so I don't know how strong it got.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 20th, 2011, 08:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

So do you put the sugar in while it's steeping outside in the sun or does it go in after but before serving?

I remember seeing boxes of Lipton tea bags at Wal-mart. I'll have to check and see if they're a bigger bag.

Thanks ladies.

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:23 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I put it in after. The tea was hot enough to dissolve the sugar. Then I stuck it in the fridge. That jug is almost gone, have to make more.
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:26 PM
You can call me DOG!

Thanks patty. Gonna have to give it another whirl. We had fun making it at the office but it wasn't all that great the first time around. Maybe now we'll get it right.