Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old June 7th, 2014, 10:56 AM

Old cat peeing on basement floor.

I see no Cat behaviour forum..lol I guess that would be an exercise in futility.

He's 16 -got him as a sickly neighbourhood Tom and had him patched up and neutered etc.. He used to have siblings, 2 other boy cats that he was super-close too (and could boss around) but they passed earlier this year. Now he is lone cat. He has to get locked in basement over night because he is so high strung he won't let us sleep. (sticks his schnozz in your eye socket and tries to roll your head up to wake you)

He poops in his box (he has 4 boxes in his 1000 sq. foot area). He pees in 2 or 3 places on the concrete floor. It isn't a physical impairment. He acts like a 3 year old and runs up the stairs like the wind.

He's just high strung and easily stressed. Always has been. He does it out of spite- easily identifiable pattern related to how much attention he's getting.

He responded well to Rescue Remedy in the past but I don't want to flood him out with that stuff.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking just keep cleaning it up and be glad it isn't the carpet yet.
Old June 7th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=85545

Please see my answer to this very similar problem at the link above. For your older cat please Vet him. Many old age ailments could be affecting him and causing this behaviour.
Old June 8th, 2014, 02:59 PM

When he pees on the concrete floor, is it always in the same place? Have you tried putting boxes where he likes to pee?
Old June 9th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi there hystst,

Just moved this thread to the cat behaviour forum. Yup - we got one.

Could it be that there was urine from the other cats that passed in the concrete? If so, that may explain this.

You'll need to clean that concrete really well though with some safe enzymatic cleaner I'd suggest. Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 13th, 2014, 02:13 PM

whadda ya know - thanks for moving my thread.

He has been to the vet 3 or 4 times since this started. He's fit as a fiddle considering he carries a coronavirus for fip, has a heart murmur, and has lived about 13 years longer than original estimates. (he was jaundiced, bloody and yellow when I first found him in 1999) She says the same kinds of things and shrugs- all have been tried.

What seems to work best: Spoil him.
If I basically have a day where I never leave his sight (he is never more than 6 feet from me if possible), play string and pat him a lot and he got lots of the food he likes, he uses his box.
I pretty much know if there's going to be pee on the floor by what kind of service we provided that day.

Give him the less-than best food or if I spend too long at work or I go out again after dinner: pee.

lol.

Last edited by hystat; June 13th, 2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old July 5th, 2014, 07:12 AM

update - he's just a bugger sometimes. Bought him 1 brand new box and put it in one of the pee spots. He used it for 3 days- nice!. We left for vacation. I told him we would come back, if he used his box. He used his box without fail while grandma was here. Nice!
We come back...still using it, ... 3 days later, I was tired one night, so I put him to bed with kibble instead of his stew he likes, and voila - peed on the floor.

So I post this in case anyone is driving themselves batty over such a thing. Old cats can just get a bit senile and/or decide they are going to run the show. I'll just clean it up and quit trying to troubleshoot. I have a spill kit. If he moves it to the carpet, he'll be "retiring", but I don't think that will happen anytime soon.