Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
chronically insane.

Eagles sign Vick

http://blogs.usatoday.com/thehuddle/...th-eagles.html

On behalf of the entire city of Philadelphia (of which I am a metro-area member) I would like to apologize for our home team signing a scum of the earth dog murdering animal torturing .
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The only way the message is going to get across to the mighty NFL is to stop watching football. Now do you really think a football loving nation like the United States is about to give up their favourite game because of one who deserved to spend his life behind bars? The answer would be a resounding No!!
So, what can you do about it? The only way it will sink in that people do not approve of Vicks' despicable actions is to stop filling the NFL's very deep pockets. Just my
Old August 13th, 2009, 08:56 PM
chronically insane.

My dad is a GIGANTIC eagles fan.. he is FURIOUS. if vick really is playing (he honestly can't believe it) he said he's done with them. he has 2 eagles tattoos and an entire eagles wardrobe... He said he is ASHAMED to be an eagles fan right now..

waiting until the protests start. You better count me in for those!
Old August 13th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
The only way the message is going to get across to the mighty NFL is to stop watching football. Now do you really think a football loving nation like the United States is about to give up their favourite game because of one who deserved to spend his life behind bars? The answer would be a resounding No!!
So, what can you do about it? The only way it will sink in that people do not approve of Vicks' despicable actions is to stop filling the NFL's very deep pockets. Just my

Watching the games doesn't make the NFL the money. Unless, of course, you are sitting in the stands.

You are better off not buying any football related products and writing to sponsors. The NFL makes a ton off of sponsors. If they pull their adds, the NFL might just listen.
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Senior Contributor

all we need now is a list of their sponsers.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old August 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
all we need now is a list of their sponsers.
I would love to help here - but I refuse to watch football. I absolutely despise the sport.
Old August 14th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, I was a huge NFL fan, and I personally decided to stop watching football and never buy any of their merchandise again when I heard Vick was being reinstated. My husband did the same. It would be great if all other animal lovers would do similar, but I don't see it happening.

Glad I've already stopped watching football because I USED to be an Eagles fan. Well, not anymore.

Quote:
Watching the games doesn't make the NFL the money. Unless, of course, you are sitting in the stands.

You are better off not buying any football related products and writing to sponsors. The NFL makes a ton off of sponsors. If they pull their adds, the NFL might just listen

Yeah, but the sponsors only pay for ads because of the huge ratings. If people stop watching then there's no reason for the sponsors to pay for ads.

Writing the sponsors is still a good idea, but they won't care as long as the amount of people watching the game doesn't go down that much.
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:59 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

OMG longtime Eagle fan, CRUSHED

Kathryn my roomie not only has an entire eagle wardrobe like your dad (I have some) we also have an entire eagle house, clocks towels cups the biggest fridge magnet ever, flags everywhere - you name it it's here

Was sooo looking forward to Sept 3rd's Jets preseason game. A trip was also planned for their opening game

And then this news :sad: I don't understand why they would do this, these fans can be the cruelest of cruel (of course with reason lol) but common - what are they thinking

NFL had an apportunity to teach through example a valuable "moral" lesson, instead they chose to not only reinstate MV but give a 1.6M contract with a 2nd yr option of 5.2M

There are petitions you can sign, send letters boycotting sponsor's that use the Eagles, Campbells being huge. Don't assume everyone else is, it only takes a few minutes, just google tons of stuff going on right now

CBS Sports' James Brown is doing a "60 Minutes" Report, why is this getting airtime

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...ted;photovideo

It is better to keep ones mouth closed and be thought a fool then to open it and remove all doubt.

I will NOT tune in and told them 60m@cbsnews.com
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I do not normally read the sport-pages,but have been for a long time,just waiting to see what team would be stupid enough to sign Vick.

I read even some of the players don't want him.
I like LR,cannot stand watching foot-ball and know nothing of the game.

He'll be making $1.6 mill,while the Best Friends Sanctuary are still trying to rehab his dogs,it's sickening beyond belief,but we all knew it would happen

There probably are people who figure he's done his time and is sorry,sure!!!
IMO,someone like this monster can never be forgiven.
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:22 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
You are better off not buying any football related products and writing to sponsors. The NFL makes a ton off of sponsors. If they pull their adds, the NFL might just listen.
I kinda figured they went hand in hand. You don't watch the barbaric game to start with, football related products would naturally go down the toilet. I have never indulged in watching that "sport". Can't see the sense in grown men smashing into each other causing major injury and calling it fun. If ratings went down for the televised games sponsors would stop trying to pawn their stuff during the game.

Better yet, why not stop buying the sponsors stuff?

People have short memories when it comes to these atrocities. It needs to be kept in the forefront. Too bad his "salary" couldn't have gone straight to
Best Friends Sanctuary.
Old August 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Lots of Eagles fans here .

I too am one and am very torn on this news. I despise what he did but I am a big fan of the NFL. I kept saying when they were talking about his re-instatement to forget about all of the outside stuff and just concentrate on why you watch sports - for the athletic ability and entertainment. Now that he is with my team it is much harder to tell myself this!! The one thing I keep thinking now is that there are a lot of athletes that live lives much different than we see in the games (McNair for example). I'm going to try and forget about the outside stuff, but I know it probably won't happen
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't find the clip but I heard it several times on the radio this morning. About what Vick did - we all know that he destroyed several "under performing" dogs with his own hands - but when the interviewer was listing these things, he also mentioned "throwing the family dogs into a pit and lauging as they were killed". Personally - this is a whole new level of heartlessness and goes directly to the character of the "man".

Whether we like it or not, our sports stars are role models. Especially to underpriveledged children who live in exactly the same neighborhood the Mr. Vick grew up in and in similar neighborhoods around the country. Yes, he did his time. But that doesn't mean that he should be able to go right back to what he was doing before.

Pete Rose was banned for life from baseball for betting. No lives were lost. Because of his betting he is ineligable to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I went to the page and left comments, not good ones, I'm also writing to the city (P.A.) to voice my displeasure at how a "brotherhood" city could have links with this "mans" name....don't know if it will do any good, but if enough voice their opinions , we will be heard
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I wonder if animal loving players on opposing teams will go after him with extra gusto during the game because of this. I won't know the answer though cuz even though I only watch maybe 3 games a year, those days are over effective immediately.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

one can only hope they do Marko, maybe his career will end that way???
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I think there will be reprocussions for him once he walks into play. I cannot believe (or I choose not to) that he will be welcomed back without reprisal. Someone here mentioned getting a hold of the sponsors. I think that is an excellent way for people to protest. He is bringing everyone around him down and they may not take too kindly to this.

Interesting that the name of this team is that of an animal.
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Campbell's (as in soup) is one of the largest sponsors of the NFL with tons of their money spent on commercials featuring players.

Effective immediately - my house will NOT be eating Campbell's soup and we will be collecting all of our non-Campbell labels. These will be sent, with a note, to Campbell.
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Campbell's (as in soup) is one of the largest sponsors of the NFL with tons of their money spent on commercials featuring players.

Effective immediately - my house will NOT be eating Campbell's soup and we will be collecting all of our non-Campbell labels. These will be sent, with a note, to Campbell.
Nice!!!
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:44 AM
150% PRO S/N

This is an old sponsor article from when he was arrested. Darn, I love my Diet Coke! :sad:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ridofvic/petition.html

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_some_NFL_sponsors
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I guess it was pretty naive of my to think that a team wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pool. :sad:

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 14th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I also hate watching any sports, especially watching a bunch of millionaires throw a ball around.

I can only hope this team has shot itself in the foot. I'd actually like to find out what the first game he will be playing in will be. Only to watch as he comes out on the field to really loud boo's!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Petition signed - thank you for the link.
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Garden nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
This is an old sponsor article from when he was arrested. Darn, I love my Diet Coke! :sad:
In my opinion do NOT drink anything with aspartame in it!!

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4904904_da...et-drinks.html

NFL is all about profit. Not surprised. I can't stand pro sports of any kind and support none of them.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old August 14th, 2009, 12:57 PM

I am also surprised and upset about the Eagles signing him..

I did watch his press conference. Normally, I'm always advocating for 2nd chances but what he did was so cruel,monstrous and perverse. I have young Nephews who are HUGE football fans and I remember when all this started, my sister had to explain to them what he did and why he could not play football. I have no clue how she is going to explain why he's allowed to play again .

Press conference video...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?...mg;eveningnews

Noel- 4 year old black and white cat
Felix- 6 year old black cat
Maggie-3 year old Newfoundland Dog
Sparkie- Puppy Shih zu

Last edited by MommaKat; August 14th, 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Sad day for football. Unfortunately I don't believe that the vast majority of NFL fans are going to stop going to games to show their dislike of Vick. Eagles fans will largely continue to go to the games in droves. I agree that the best way to show our disdain is to let the sponsors know that we will boycott their products. The sponsors is where the money is at. But I say kudos to everybody who does stop going to the games because of this, and if I had any NFL stuff (especially Eagles) I'd mail it back to them.
Old August 14th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

To be honest,I could not even watch the press-conference,to me Vick looks like Mefisto himself,a purely evil man.
Sure he is trying to be humble and sorry for what he did,but I just don't buy it,to do what he did to these poor animals,he has to be evil through and through,I could never in my life forgive such a person.
Old August 14th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.campbellsoupcompany.com/Feedback.aspx

campbellsoup web page canada, I just wrote to them
Old August 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Gotta love what this ex-Eagles fan is doing on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_506wt_1167

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:50 PM
Kitty pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Gotta love what this ex-Eagles fan is doing on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_506wt_1167
lol free enterprise rulles
Old August 15th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

SCM,that's so funnylove it