Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 12th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Frenchy's mom

Question A little overwhelmed

I am technically not new to the forum. I was posting earlier this year about my dog Frenchy, who had a nasal infection that didn't respond to antibiotics. Sadly, we had to say goodbye to him, and it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

We live on a ranch (this is cattle country) and have a senior Jack Russell, but wanted to get another large breed dog as soon as possible. We didn't want to get a puppy, so we adopted an almost one year old Bouvier X Black Lab/Border Collie who we thought would fit in well. She's a little shy, but we are confident she will be happy with us.

We were told that she had recently been in heat and our vet said it would be months before she would go into heat again, so were going to let her get a little older and more comfortable on the leash before we took her in to get spayed. Unbeknownst to us (and the previous owner), our young female was already pregnant. She had run off from her owner's ranch the first day we went to pick her up, so we had to go back another day to get her. Turns out the day she had run off was exactly 63 days to when her puppies were born.

We had no intention of breeding her and didn't want a puppy in the first place, but now we have six 5-week-old puppies, and they're a handful! We decided to keep one of them, but that means we need to find good homes for 5 of them and other than putting signs up at local stores and an ad on Kijiji, does anyone have any recommendations? It's been years since I've had to care for even one puppy, and I am feeling quite overwhelmed.

It's not the puppies' fault that we don't know who their father is, and I'd hate to think no one will want them because of that. We tried to give them to the previous owner once they're weaned, but she doesn't want to take them. We'd hoped some friends would take a couple, but so far no luck. Someone did tell us not to advertise them as free, for the puppies' sake. Of course, I am getting very attached to all of them and want them to go to forever homes. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old June 12th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you release them to a rescue near you? What happens in some cases is you surrender them to the rescue, they make you the foster mom, they might even help you with some food costs, they list, show, Vet the puppies, find them homes. That does leave you with the little handfuls in the meantime though. Or, they'd be better off with their Mum till they're 8 weeks old, but a rescue might separate them from the Mum as soon as they're weaned. Really best for them to stay in a family with Mum as they learn doggy manners and bite inhibition that way, making them better pets later on. At the very least a rescue might give you tips on how to proceed. Can you look into what rescues are near you?
Old June 13th, 2014, 08:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes there are great rescues out there that will work with you. Making you the foster mom would be a great idea. They screen the potential owners with help from you. You may have them a bit longer but it will be worth it. I hate to ask are they Black puppies?
Old June 13th, 2014, 03:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree that a rescue would be great, but I guess you are probably in the middle of nowhere... ish. Beautiful area you're in but not sure about the rescue situation there. If necessary you could always try to source a rescue a bit further out, but I do agree it would be your best option. I am so glad you will not offer them as free. I'd make sure if you end up advertising them to charge enough so that only serious folks apply. Bless you for caring enough to try to do right by the puppies.
Old June 14th, 2014, 09:17 AM

I just wanted to reassure you that not every one is looking for a purebred. All our dogs (including the current one), have been random bred mutts. We take good care of them, vet visits, shots, walks, treats, etc.
In some ways, given the health problems of so many pure breeds, a mix breed has a better chance of being healthy.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old June 14th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree 100%, pure breds are not for everyone. All my previous pups have been rescues and pound puppies. Love in abundance and no regrets.
Old June 15th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Frenchy's mom

Thanks for your suggestions. A man called from Vancouver today in response to our ad on Kijiji (I think) and said he wanted all 5 puppies for $200 each. That sounded very suspicious to me, although he told my husband that he and his brother wanted the dogs as family dogs for protection. I was worried he was either a broker or was looking for puppies for something not in the puppies' best interests.

They are such lovely little (or not so little) pups and I feel very responsible for them, but my husband is anxious that we not be stuck with them. As some of you suggested, I have contacted the local rescue group to see if they can help.

Any thoughts on this guy who wanted them all?

Ruth

Last edited by Cariboo2; June 16th, 2014 at 12:19 AM. Reason: New info
Old June 16th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I would definitely be suspicious of that one. No one buys 5 puppies for themselves. He is probably a broker. I wouldn't even entertain Kijiji. Word of mouth or rescue only or even maybe the Humane Society.
Old June 16th, 2014, 07:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I was about to post just about the same as above when my hydro went off. I agree, very suspicious. How much protection are five puppies anyway? No logic there.
Old June 16th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Frenchy's mom

Yes, I was immediately suspicious and googled his phone number after I sent that last post. Sure enough, he has a puppy listed for sale on Kijiji.
Old June 16th, 2014, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Good thing you trusted your spidey senses! That guy was certainly up to no good. I agree with longblades and would use SPCA, Rescue and word of mouth. Tell your husband he'll sleep better if he takes the time to do what's right for these puppies.