Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Doggie Wench

Unhappy Ava and Penny

This is really difficult for me to be writing. Ava and Penny, after 2 1/2 years of us being able to manage their squabbles, have gotten into a serious fight yesterday morning. For the first time, I wasn't able to distract or call one of them off. It went on for at least 10 minutes without a pause...this time it wasn't simple quarreling amongst them. Once I finally managed to get between them and my son able to get a hold of Ava to help me separate them, we realized how bad the damage was. They were both brought to the vet clinic where their wounds were shaved and cleaned, Penny needing staples to close a gash on her leg. Ava sustained injuries to her entire face (deep punctures); and front legs...Penny to her left leg, shoulder and stomach.

The vet confirmed this was as serious as fights get...we can't let them have any contact with each other, ever.

I'm not looking for advice on how to deal with this, we've sought help from behaviorists/trainers, from trusted friends with experience...I've read every friggen book out there...we've tried everything. I just want you, those who have gotten to know my girls, what is happening.

My head hurts from trying to figure what went wrong yesterday, what else we could have done, and where to from here. We're devastated .