Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 4th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Adopted by Dani

opinions needed on adding a second dog to our family

Hi All,
What is the genuine feeling about adding another puppy to an existing rescue ?

Okay I see something very strange Dani my rescue of 1 month is pretty placid 90% of the time which I knew when I adopted her as Inverness told us she was a calm dog.

Dani is VERY calm pretty much sleeps most of the time unless I say the word WALK and then she livens up tail and bum wags she goes to the front door and waits for me. I love this sign of alertness and loving she expresses.

Now I also notice when I take her to the dog run at centential she is a different dog . She runs like a speeding bullet playing with every dog there and gets along with ALL and any dogs there.

So my wife (I still am in shock this morning) suggested maybe we need to adopt a younger puppy that will keep her busy and playful ?

My brother and sister in law bought a Bishon Frize (spelling) yesterday and brough this little thing the size of your two hands and Dani was so motherly to him it was so cute. However Dani's size of 42lbs is just too big to let her play with the puppy of 7 weeks as she can hurt her by accident as the little tyke is VERY frisky .

Okay long post and I apologize.

I think quite a few of you have gotten to know me over the past month since we got Dani and I really respect all your advice and opinions you have shared with me.

My worries of course is Dani going to get jealous if we bring in a younger puppy ? I show Dani tons of love and I don't want her to feel neglected of which I would not do but I am worried that the rest of the family might pay more attention to a puppy and neglect Dani . I don't think so but this is in the back of my mind.

What do you think ? I'm thinking we still need to give Dani a few more months to adjust to her forever home and maybe she still doubts this is her forever home and once she realizes it her playfulness will come out for good.

Currently she will play with me and my wife via mouthing and although I like to let her my wife says I shouldnt but she shows great signs of alertness when she does this with me or her. (probably this is a whole new thread)

Well guess too much coffee this morning as it almost sounds like I'm in rant mode But it's all good.

Good morning to all !
Lewis

Last edited by lewisw; July 4th, 2006 at 07:25 AM. Reason: change subject to reflect actual content of message
Old July 4th, 2006, 07:44 AM

On June 16th we added a new puppy to our household and it has been an interesting experience to say the least!

I guess the difference here is my older dog is 3 1/2 yrs old and I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. When we brought Buster home, things were ok for the first couple of days, while Harley checked out the new guy! Now, there is some jealousy but they are both learning to respect each other's territory. I am not sure if Harley will stay the alpha male in the house as he does tend to give in to the puppy when playing. Buster is extremely rough with Harley and I have had to seperate them a couple of times when Buster grabs the fur on Harley's ears or tail. Harley gets special treats and time with me every day so he doesnt feel abandoned. Both dogs sleep on our bed and that works out ok. Harley will not cuddle up to the puppy for sleeping, but hopefully that will change.

It is definitely a lot of work adding a puppy, but well worth it. Good luck if you do get another one!!!!
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Lewis I think that it is a great idea to adopt another rescue, But I would wait at least another few months maybe as much as a year. Each rescue dog is very different some feel very safe in a short time but others take longer. Dani seems to be doing very well adjusting but let her feel safer and more secure before you bring another dog into the mix. When you do introduce on neutral territory like a park somewhere that is not Dani's space. You will also always need to make her the top dog always greet first and treats etc. The other dog will need to be below Dani in the pecking order. This is why you may want to wait just a bit longer. Dani needs to feel that she is not being replaced or not as loved. This if done to soon may cause Dani to exhibit bad behaviors like chewing or peeing inside. So the more secure she is the better the transition will be. I have done it with time and patience they became best pals the odd couple a Shar-pei and a Bloodhound thankfully. They did have a few scuffles but she put him in his place and he got her a couple of times but mostly noise. I would recommend a male much easier to bring into a female dogs house and she will let him know it is her house and tell him what to do and when to do it. The breeder my Bloodhound came through told me that the female will take charge of the pack and the males will follow in behind her that is there place. Kind of like humans....kidding. Good luck and we will all be here for questions and support when you do bring a new baby home. Boy I must be drinking the same brew of coffee as you.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:03 AM
owned by Tucker

Oh you've got bitten by the doggy bug Why not let her help you pick out a friend for her, take her to the rescues, shelters or breeder if that is what you are looking at doing and let her pick the dog you will bring home. Within reason that is. I think if I ever got Tucker a friend that is what I would do, have to find out if they will be compatable so why not from the start.
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I did that, after having a 7 yr old for a yr and 1/2, I decided to get another, and I ended up getting a 1 yr old. The 7 yr old is more energetic, as her breed is, while the 1 yr old is far more relaxed. I specifically chose a smaller male for her, as she doesn't get on well with 100 % of other dogs, usually those her size, as I guess they figure they have something to work out.
Anyhow, in brief now, it took some time for them to cuddle up together, but now they do, and I have no regrets.
Things changed with the first one though that I wouldn't have expected. For example, she doesn't want to play ball as much now that he's around. He interferes. She now eats more, she used to be a slight eater.
She can play a little rough with him at times, but he doesn't stop asking for it by biting her butt.
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Hi Lewis,

Getting another puppy was the best thing I ever did for for our dog Sam!

He was 1 year old, and also very into playing with other dogs. He was NOT calm, however. When we got Maia, he had an instant connection with her. He took care of her, played, slept, showed her the ropes. He calmed down immensely. It just seems so much more natural to have two.

From your posts, it is obvious that you have all kinds of love to give to a new dog. I agree with the above post, to let her help you choose if possible, but if not, at least take into consideration her personality. If she loves her rest, I wouldn't get a really rambunctious puppy because she might become annoyed and snappy.

When you are introducing them, do so on neutral territory... and make sure Dani still has her own place (bed)... always feed Dani first, pet her first, etc when the new one comes.

I hope things go well for you. Here is a pic of my two when first introduced.
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Hi Lewis,

Getting another puppy was the best thing I ever did for for our dog Sam!

He was 1 year old, and also very into playing with other dogs. He was NOT calm, however. When we got Maia, he had an instant connection with her. He took care of her, played, slept, showed her the ropes. He calmed down immensely. It just seems so much more natural to have two.

From your posts, it is obvious that you have all kinds of love to give to a new dog. I agree with the above post, to let her help you choose if possible, but if not, at least take into consideration her personality. If she loves her rest, I wouldn't get a really rambunctious puppy because she might become annoyed and snappy.

When you are introducing them, do so on neutral territory... and make sure Dani still has her own place (bed)... always feed Dani first, pet her first, etc when the new one comes.

I hope things go well for you. Here is a pic of my two when first introduced.
Thanks Phoenix,
That picture is worth a million bucks.... So cute....
When the time is right I will bring Dani to Inverness's place and let her meet some friends. I think that is the best idea.

I think for now we will giver her our 100% attention as that would be the best for her as she still needs to get better or at last back to 100% herself.
Lewis
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:13 AM

I agree with waiting a bit. You have so much to teach Dani still and bringing a new dog in the mix will just make it harder. Two dogs become a pack and if Dani isn't sure who the leader is yet, there could be trouble (because the new guy certainly won't know yet either).
Old July 4th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Adopted by Dani

I agree 100% with all of you.
Maybe in a year from now !!!!
Lewis