Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old February 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I hate off leash dogs......

The day started off pretty stressful as Streets was sick. I had to stay home from work, which was bad, because I couldn't get anyone to cover for me.

By the afternoon though, I thought things were looking up. It was nice out, Streets seemed to be feeling better, so I decided to take them for a walk. We were about a block from home when this black lab comes running right at us, no owner in sight. In spite of my trying to get between him and my two, he kept going and jumped on Basil.

This, of course, did not go over very well and all of a sudden I was in the middle of a 3 dog fight trying to pull Basil and Streets behind me and push the lab away from us. I was yelling something, probably nothing appropriate to write here, but still, no owner.

Many minutes later, when I've gotten the dogs somewhat separated but am still having trouble keeping the lab from coming back at us over and over, some lady comes casually strolling around the corner, leash in hand

She calls her dog and then stands there staring at me like I'm a alien who just dropped out of the mother ship into the alley. I was so totally flustered at this point all I could do was try to check over Basil and Streets for wounds. Finally she says, in this really irritated tone "so, which way are you going?"

I'm so mad, and still flustered and on the verge of tears that I just said "that way", and so off she went, without another word, but tossing serious death glare my way while I just stood there like an idiot.

Finally I start walking and Basil isn't putting full weight on 2 of his legs. Since this all happened in the alley behind my vet's office, I just went straight there.

Close to $100 later, the dogs, probably thanks to their coats, are fine, but Basil is obviously sore. I'm so, so, so, so, so mad though. I wish I'd said something to this woman, who regularly walks her dog off leash, usually a good half block behind the dog. I'm also a wee bit paranoid that she's going to discover some cut in her dog and act like it was my fault somehow.

Anyways, I guess this is just a rant, I'm not sure there's anything I can do at this point really.
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:06 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

I am sorry you had such a stressful and expensive day. Poor Basil and Streets, just minding their own business...

As far as I know, it is illegal in Montreal to walk your dog off leash and is punishable with a fine. If you say she does this regularly, and reeks havoc on leashed dogs, I would contact public security and let them know where/when to find her.

Sorry to hear Basil is not 100% but hopefully after a good night's sleep he will be better in the a.m.

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
As far as I know, it is illegal in Montreal to walk your dog off leash and is punishable with a fine. If you say she does this regularly, and reeks havoc on leashed dogs, I would contact public security and let them know where/when to find her.
It is, but you'd never know it from all the people who walk their dogs off leash in the area. In fact, I've had people give me lectures on how I'm abusing my dogs by not allowing them to "run free like nature intended"

I have the dogs tucked in a blanket on the couch, where we'll all be staying until today is over.
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
It is, but you'd never know it from all the people who walk their dogs off leash in the area. In fact, I've had people give me lectures on how I'm abusing my dogs by not allowing them to "run free like nature intended"
Where the Heck do you live???? Isn't there any traffic? I'm all for "off leash" trails...go there everyday. But neighborhood walks are always on leash...have you seen Montrealers drive????

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
Where the Heck do you live???? Isn't there any traffic? I'm all for "off leash" trails...go there everyday. But neighborhood walks are always on leash...have you seen Montrealers drive????
The Plateau! People are totally insane! It's the only possible explanation I can come up with.
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Pitgirl so sorry your having a bad day! Poor Streets & Basil...I guess I am alot nastier than you are I would have said among other things "good place for your leash?" OMG I would have been so peeved!

Hope the boys are okay now?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish I'd had some choice words for the woman, but I was totally dumb struck. If she'd been anywhere near her dog she would have caught my stream of swearing while I pulled the dogs apart though

I'm sure I'll run into her again since she lives a block away from me. Perhaps I'll take the opportunity to tell her about my vet bill

The dogs are okay, I think Basil just has tweeked something temporarily. Luckily they were wearing coats, so they had some armor

Last edited by pitgrrl; February 19th, 2009 at 06:46 PM.
Old February 19th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Maybe if she always does this someone should report her for having her dog off leash. I am not sure about the laws where you are but here you have to have your dog on a leash. Oh and if you report her then make sure they know you had a vet bill!

Glad they had the body armour on cause your right it could have been alot worse. Really you could have been really hurt trying to pull 3 dogs apart...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old February 19th, 2009, 09:50 PM
Live well, laugh often

Stupid person . While I do a lot of off leash walking it is always on a hiking trail or path never in a neighbourhood and my dogs are always within eyesight (plus have good recall). I am very aware of being responsible of other dogs and humans who might not be very fond of dogs. That person is an idiot and unfortunately it is probably going to be her dog that pays with its life (hit by car etc) for her ignorance.

Hope Basil and Streets are both feeling better tonight .
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:36 PM
You can call me DOG!

I hear ya Pitgrrl!!!

I recently had the similar dog walking experience....my thread below

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60489

I agree with Diandpat that there's a place for off leash and on leash. Good to hear that Basil and Streets are a-o.k.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old February 19th, 2009, 10:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope Basil's soreness is gone by tomorrow! And I hope you don't run into this lady and her dog anymore. Does the dog always harrass other dogs? That's worth reporting, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Pitgrrl, I'm very sorry to hear about your encounter with the unleashed dog.
I'm glad there were no serious wounds inflicted. I wanted to reply sooner, but to be honest, I was so angry after reading your post that I needed to take time to be able to respond in an appropriate manner, because my initial response was to type out a few choice names for that woman with the Lab.
As a fellow Pitbull owner, it infuriates me to no end that our dogs are labelled and feared. It infuriates me even more when I hear about responsible owners such as yourself, who has to endure encounters like this. If for some reason you couldn't have seperated the three dogs, and the Lab had been seriously injured, we all know what the headlines would have been. Regardless of the fact that you had control of your dogs, regardless of the fact that your dogs were leashed, regardless that her dog was unleashed, unsupervised (since she was no where in sight), and regardless that her dog initiated and provoked and harassed your dogs.
Could you imagine the tongue lashing you would've received if the tables were turned and say Basil was unleashed and provoking a situation!
It is so unfair. I am just very happy that Streets and Basil weren't seriously injured, and that the three of you are all cuddled up in a blanket. At the end of the day, I'm sure it was all worth missing a day of work, to be with your handsome babies.
I'm also glad you were able to keep the situation somewhat under control, I'm relieved that you didn't get hurt in the process as well.
If this happens again, I would call the authorities from your cell phone right there and then. This woman needs to realize that she can't allow her dog to harass other dogs, oh my gosh could you imagine if it were a child walking his/her dog and her dog approached.
Hugs to you and Streets and Basil, I hope Streets is feeling better soon
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Off leash dogs are a chronic problem around here. Our dogs are allowed off leash in our back yard, period. We stopped walking all of our dogs because of too many bad encounters with off leash dogs. Both our first and second dog suffered injuries by attacks and we met far too many large and small nasty off leash dogs the last few times we were out walking with Baxter and Bentley. Now they just get to romp and play together and with us in the yard. Safer for us and them.

Cindy
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh poor Streets and Basil I hope Basil is feeling better today. .

I don't agree with any off leash walking in public areas. To me it is an accident waiting to happen, whether it be with traffic or another dog encounter. Plus there are many people who are afraid of dogs and do not appreciate having a dog run up to them.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Remembering Lukka

I was just talking about this very thing in another thread. I would report that woman in a flash, and follow through until she starts walking her dog on leash. The only place a dog should be off leash is at an off leash dog park.
I also have had dogs come running up to me when I would be walking Lukka, and it was never a positive experience.
Fights broke out much like what you just went through. I don't understand why people think they are the exception to the rule, but for some strange reason some just don't get it.
Old February 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you all for the well wishes. Basil and Streets are back to being their usual maniac selves, so I think they're fine. Something must have just gotten tweeked in Basil's back when the lab jumped on him, but apparently it was only temporary.

This morning though, when I was walking them, we got to a yard where 2 GSD live and like to bark a lot. Normally we just walk by without a problem, but this morning Basil heard them and immediately did a 180 and insisted on going back around the other way so we wouldn't have to pass the fence :sad:
I really hope that was just a fluke, and he hasn't decided all dogs going to jump him.

As for reporting the woman, I'm kind of hesitant for a few reasons. The first is I just don't think it would do anything, walking one's dog off leash is more the norm in this area than not (though to some people's credit, a few have obviously put in the training time and their dogs stay within a couple of feet of them at all times).

I also don't want to start some sort of war with other dog owners, since I see the same people almost everyday. I can just imagine the poop talking amongst the "nice family dog" owners that would ensue about me.

Basically, the thing that just really irks me is this idea that there's something wrong with your dog if they don't want to be happy-happy play time friends with every other dog on the planet. It really drives me insane that people can't grasp the idea that dogs can be wonderful, stable, happy, well socialized, etc. but not so into the idea of random strange dogs rudely getting up in their face.
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

It's irresponsible people like that who cause problems. Heaven forbid her dog has some issue, they she will find it convenient to blame you and yours.

I hope Basil continues to improve.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old February 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Basil,Streets and you,glad everyone is ok
I,when I walk Bailey am always afraid an off-leash dog will come around,luckily we do have a leash-law and I have yet to see a dog off leash,unless it's a dog who is lost.
You don't have to muzzle Basil and Streets I hope,not like here in Ontario
Old February 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM

This reminds me of a story this guy was telling me at the park.

There was a fellow walking his GSD off leash at a beach. Every time he sees another off leash dog, he says to the owner "you better leash up your dog, mine is not friendly". You're probably thinking to yourself what a ****ing douchebag eh? Well he does this to a few people, and then a lady comes passing by, with an Airedale (I think on a leash - I can't remember but its irrelevant). So big surprise, the GSD takes off after him, but of course the big Airedale defends himself and shreds the GSD to pieces. I don't know if the GSD lived or not.

It is an accident waiting to happen. More importantly it is sad that some people don't have the brains to treat their animals properly so they don't develop disorders.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Poor Basil,Streets and you,glad everyone is ok
I,when I walk Bailey am always afraid an off-leash dog will come around,luckily we do have a leash-law and I have yet to see a dog off leash,unless it's a dog who is lost.
You don't have to muzzle Basil and Streets I hope,not like here in Ontario
Nope, no muzzles. Anyways, Basil and Streets are toooooootally Boxers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMonster View Post
This reminds me of a story this guy was telling me at the park.

There was a fellow walking his GSD off leash at a beach. Every time he sees another off leash dog, he says to the owner "you better leash up your dog, mine is not friendly". You're probably thinking to yourself what a ****ing douchebag eh? Well he does this to a few people, and then a lady comes passing by, with an Airedale (I think on a leash - I can't remember but its irrelevant). So big surprise, the GSD takes off after him, but of course the big Airedale defends himself and shreds the GSD to pieces. I don't know if the GSD lived or not.

It is an accident waiting to happen. More importantly it is sad that some people don't have the brains to treat their animals properly so they don't develop disorders.
I've had a few run in with people like that, where they end up yelling at me because I don't want their off leash dogs running up to my leashed, under control dogs People are just totally weird nut jobs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "disorders" though.....
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:39 AM

oh i meant googley wacky biting behavior

i hate getting yelled too, or be given a lecture by those type of people. yea someone gave me a lecture once because their dog was nasty and unfriendly . I think what annoys me the most is myself just standing there looking dumbstruck with no comebacks.