Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quebec to amend Civil Code to better protect animals from abuse

About time - Let's hope it helps

http://www.canada.com/news/Quebec+am...828/story.html
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 9th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope it will work out too and spread to USA . I hate the idea of calling pets personal property , they feel pain and hunger just like people to .
Old August 9th, 2014, 01:02 PM

Good news for sure. Hopefully the animals that are suffering get the help they need sooner rather than later
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:37 AM
Dog Buddy For Life

Hope this push through! How many more animals need to suffer before a law be made to protect them?

tsk...tsk.. tsk..
If only a paw can print and vote!
Old September 15th, 2014, 08:03 AM

QC Civil Code animal amendment - It's NOT ENOUGH

Although at its core, I agree. However, if the Minister wants to protect the welfare of animals, she should be amending the Civil Code to make sure Cats & Dogs have a right to a HOME in rental units. The "no animals" clause in rental units should be Null & Void, as in Ontario.

Once they amend the Code to say pets are not property, they are doing nothing more than providing further ammunition to Landlords to enforce their "no animals" clause because they are not considered as property.

Many people use this law to fight for their right to have their pets permitted in their rental home. Now, the Regie du Logement will be able to say, "sorry, pets are not property and therefore you do not have a winning argument in this matter." SHAME ON QUEBEC!
Old September 15th, 2014, 02:30 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

I hear your point MR, but this is good news...isn't it? Or, would you prefer our pets REMAIN legally classified as property? One thing at a time, no?

I see this as a 100% push forward in the right direction....so why are you shaming Quebec here? (Don't get me wrong, I'm the first to shame Quebec when shame is deserved, but here where something good is being done...I don't get it.)

Animal welfare has many many areas for improvement in Quebec....but it starts with this fundamental measure imo.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old September 18th, 2014, 03:57 PM

I'm shaming QC because there are many ways they could amend that property law. First, logically speaking, pets are property in the sense that their owners either pay for them, are given them as gifts, or found and adopted them (9/10ths of the law, and so on.)

The amendment could read: though property, they are still sentient beings that feel pain. The amendment could simply impose greater criminal charges to those who abuse animals/pets, even though they are property because they are also sentient beings. The amendment could go through as planned - not property. BUT, at the exact same time: amend the code to include the right of that sentient being to a home in rental dwellings.

It is because QC is not ensuring their rights to a home AT THE SAME TIME - that I shame the province. Once they amend pets as not property-there is no incentive to change anything else.

That's how I see it.