Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 9th, 2007, 03:47 PM
-

golden like but smaller dog ?

I was helping someone to find the perfect golden for her. We finally found her one , and now her landlord (who gave her the ok) told her a golden was too big. He is alright with her having a dog , but a smaller one Anyway, my question is , wich smaller breed would have the personnality the closest to a golden ?
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Maybe she could find a golden mix that is smaller? Beagles are usually friendly and food loving like goldens....Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers are a bit smaller than your average golden, they are maybe a bit less outgoing than goldens, but very nice dogs...Of course there are lots of smaller mutts out there that are wonderful!

Did the landlord give a specific size limit?
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SableCollie View Post
Did the landlord give a specific size limit?
He just said small dog , my guess is 30 lbs or less. The goldens mixt rescues have are as big as the pure goldens. I was thinking cocker spaniel size. I was thinking about cocker spaniels but some of them can be a bit challenging I had one as a kid. But the more I think of it .... maybe it would be a nice dog for her. I know we have some on petfinder.
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:45 PM
-

There is a German bred dog with the last part of the name "hauser" ~ they look like a very blonde , very small Golden but don't have the energy ....hoping someone else can fill in the blank in my brain
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:57 PM

The cocker spaniels I've seen lately have been very very nice, for a while we were getting crazy aggressive ones, but the breed seems to be getting back on track.
Old August 9th, 2007, 05:00 PM
-

M3X , I am not so much looking for one that looks like a golden , more searching for a breed that "acts" like golden, easy dog to train etc...
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Cooper is as close to perfect as I can imagine. Of course I'm just a teensy bit biased.

He doesn't shed. He's very friendly. I can trust him around little ones. In fact I have to stay attentive to be sure that HE doesn't get hurt since he's so happy when people pay attention to him that he'll let them do anything-- pet him, pick him up, take his food. It's all fine with the Coop.

He was the first puppy I ever had and he was very easy to train. Even for some one as inexperienced as I was. He hasn't had an accident in the house since he was a pup.

Barking and growling is only for letting us know that he wants to play. He'll sit in front of his toy box and growl when he wants to choose a new toy. (Yes he has a toy box !!! What's wrong with that? )

People with large dogs wouldn't think of a shih tzu right away but a lady at the vet's office told us that she's always had big dogs but if she had to get a small dog it would be a shih tzu because, she said "They got the whole dog in there."

They look like foofie dogs but think they are big macho fearless hunters. My mother came here today and Cooper promptly brought her all his toys and proceeded to brutally murder a stuffie, bringing Naunnie the heart (the squeekie)

I think your friend AND her landlord would love a little squishy face baby.
Old August 9th, 2007, 09:35 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysmama View Post
Cooper promptly brought her all his toys and proceeded to brutally murder a stuffie, bringing Naunnie the heart (the squeekie)
killer Cooper

I was thinking about cockers , the lady's daughter e-mailed me asking about cockers before I even mentioned cockers ... but there's only one in rescue right now... I also had a visit from the animal control earlier (I try to help them when I can) with a cute Benji look alike so I took pictures ...
Attached Images

Old August 9th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Swift Tribe

we had cockers as kids and found them to be the sweetest dogs ever. fantastic with children, very fat and happy laid back dogs. not really into water though and i think thats a huge golden trait.

any good small water dogs??

-ashley
Old August 9th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Personally - I think you should stop worrying about a breed and start shopping around at the local shelters. I am sure that, given time, you will find a dog that is just the right size with a perfect temperment.

BTW - I had a cocker spaniel once. Never again. Talk about a nasty tempered piece of work. (I am sure there are some wonderful ones out there, that was just not my experience and something I would rather not go through again.)
Old August 10th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Retriever Fever

Hi Frenchy

The closest personality type to our Goldens that I've seen so far is the Lab (we've had lots in our family). Might be able to find a small female under 45 pounds but not sure if that's too big? In my opinion, they are almost the same dog except for appearance and for greater food drive in the average Lab vs the average Golden (with lots of exceptions of course!).

Old August 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

The Canadian breed standard for Labs says the weight for a female is 55 to 70 lb.s For males it's 60 to 75. I think you might find the personality of a Lab is a bit more demanding than a Golden, requiring more exercise and firmer training and doubly more if you happen to get a field bred Lab. Add to that the fact that Labs are very, very popular right now and it is easy to find lots of inexperienced breeders who do not take proper care of health or temperment concerns.

Appearance wise a NSDTR can be a lot like a smaller Golden but look carefully into the temperment there, they can be HOT, meaning high energy.
Old August 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
Personally - I think you should stop worrying about a breed and start shopping around at the local shelters.
I'm looking into rescue groups that I know. Adopting a dog from these rescues will open up a spot for them to save another one from the shelters.
Old August 10th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Retriever Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
The Canadian breed standard for Labs says the weight for a female is 55 to 70 lb.s For males it's 60 to 75. I think you might find the personality of a Lab is a bit more demanding than a Golden, requiring more exercise and firmer training and doubly more if you happen to get a field bred Lab. Add to that the fact that Labs are very, very popular right now and it is easy to find lots of inexperienced breeders who do not take proper care of health or temperment concerns.
Personally with our Labs and Goldens, I've found the exercise requirements to be the same as they're both big active dogs.

Frenchy is looking around at rescues, so you could probably easily get one that's past its puppy stage in age and have some training to start with.

Both Goldens and Labs are extremely popular and suffer the same problem with inexperienced breeders unfortunately. :sad:
Old September 29th, 2007, 11:36 AM

To get a dog with a similar personality to a golden she should probably stick to the sporting group, they are all very friendly, outgoing, good family dogs, but they can be exercise demanding, hey, just like a golden

For a smaller dog, I would lean towards the Cocker (english or american), Brittany Spaniel, Springer Spaniel (english or welsh), or Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever, or anything mixed with one of these. Of course depending on what s/he is mixed with, these dogs are all very sweet and the smallest of the sporting dogs.

Shelties are quite good family dogs too, cute as the dickens and smart. They are within her size range.

A few things to remember about the various breeds. Terriers are independant and sometimes difficult to train, but cute and energetic. Hounds are friendly and loveable, but not really reliable off leash, and can be stubborn at times. Toys are well, just that, very small and good lap warmers. Sporting dogs are great family dogs, but require great amounts of exercise. Herding dogs are independant thinkers, quick and usually require a fair amount of exercise. Working dogs are large, powerful, and very loving. And lastly there is the non-sporting, those are the dogs that are no longer used for their original purpose, so they do not really fit in any other group, they are a mix of sizes, temperments and looks, (Poodle and Dalmation are in this group).

Hope you find her a great pet.
Old September 29th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Keeshond are a great not so big breed, with a great and loving personality. Or maybe a norweigen elkhound.
or maybe an American Eskimo? or a BC mix or even a BC if they are an active family.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I think a brittany spaniel, or a nova scotia duck toller would be closer to the golden temperment. Nice medium to small size too.
Keeshonds are 55 - 65 lbs and definately not the nice gentle golden temperment. My breed and I love them but they're fiesty.

Cindy