Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:57 PM

What a day...advice needed

Well as if my day didn't start off badly enough when my year end project which was a 15 min video for philiosophy class wouldn't upload onto my partners computer and my teacher decided to be a dick and not give me an extention so essentially got a big fat zero.

While walking with Duke and my friend to her place we saw a dog running across the road by it'self. We tried to lure him over with treats and happy voices but he continued to walk along the road and almost got hit by a car. We began following him and with a spare lesh I had on me made a noose to try and restrain him if we could get close enough before he wandered into the path of a car. He came to us once and had no collar on and slipped away before we could get the noose on. All in all we followed him on foot for 30 mins while he continued to elude us. Then finally he stopped to take a pee so my friend and I managed to slip the make shift collar around his neck. He didn't mind and happily wagged his tail at us. We believe he is someones pet who simply slipped away as he is very friendly and overweight so I don't think he's been gone long.

We walked around the area we found him in for an hour hoping to run into the owner but had no luck. We went back to my friends place to make dog found posters and figure out what we were going to do until we could find his owner if he had one when her mom freaked out saying how we stole the dog and should release it back on the street so it could find it's own way home:S. Though I know some dogs can find their way home I'd rather keep him in a safe enviroment where we can feed and walk him until we can determine if he has an owner or not and if not place him in a suitable foster home ( as I'm not letting him rot in the city pound).

She's allowed to keep him for a few hours in which time she's contacting a mutual friend who does alot of cat rescues to see if she knows any dog rescuers in the area that could take him in while we search for his real owners. If they can't though then I'm going to try and keep him here for a few days and then i guess find a privately run rescue here that does foster homes. My mom is going to kill me at the mere suggestion but I we really are stuck. Unfortunatly he dosen't like other dogs so I'm going to have to split my house up and keep Duke in one part and him in one part and walk them at two seperate times. The cat rescue which doubles as a pet store will give us free wellness to feed him until we figure out what were doing and I have extra toys,bowls, collars and so on.

I'm just unsure of what else we can do for him, looked him over seems healthy taking him to the vet tommorow as tight as I am on cash to make sure everythings ok and to see if he's microchipped.

People wise he's very friendly and knows sit, down and paw. He looks like a husky/collie cross and is about 80 pounds but its only because hes really overweight.

Any sugggestions/ number of local dog rescuers/ groups in the mississauga and toronto area would also be appriciated.

Thanks
Kayla
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:40 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Can you tell us where he was found ? If anyone is looking for him they may check this site? Perhaps a short description as well....Good Luck! Lets hope he is microchipped and can be reunited with his owner!!

Cindy
Old January 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Live well, laugh often

Arghh, why don't people put info on their pets . Good luck with finding the owner. It sounds like he just slipped out somewhere so hopefully someone will be looking for him. I would put some posters in the area you found him.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

First of all,thank you for making sure he did not end up as road-kill
If you could post a picture of him,that would be great and maybe contact Humane Society and ask about lost dogs.
You do not have to hand him over,but chances are the owner has called them,I know I would.
Thank's again for beeing a good samaritan
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:33 PM

You should probably call animal comtrol and let them know you have him and are willing to keep him. Provide them with your contact info, and let them know its ok to release it to the owner. They might be able to come by and scan him for a chip (if they have mobile scanners of course).
You can also call the nearest vets office and ask if they have a scanner and will scan for free (most in Ottawa will).
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:42 PM
-

Thanks for taking him in Colubridz !!!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM

Yay what a happy ending

Joanna took him to the vet clinic at 4, while I had to get home to get some studying done as we had spent a good half of the day catching the guy and then trying to make him feel secure and safe at her house while we figured out what to do. (As her mom told her she had until night to get rid of him and my mom freaked out saying how stupid I was to waste so much time catching a mutt when I should of been studying for exams )

To my supreme happiness I recieved a phone call 30 mins later that he was indeed microchipped!!!!! . We called around to the various microchip companies until we got the right one and got the owner info. When Joe called to inform them she said the lady was hysterical ( I would be to) and said her husband had been out all day looking for him.

So a mere 6 hours after finally catching him we reunited him with owner (and my was he happy) We got a few pics of him that'll I'll post tommorow, but what a great end to an otherwise extremely crappy day.

What irks me the most is that my mom put more value on a number ( me doing well on my math exam tommorow) over a living, breathing creature in distress. A number is a number, if worse came to worse it's not like it would kill me to take the course again but she was completely ready to throw him back out on the street, why? Do we really live in a world where it's to inconvient for us to take a little bit out of our 24 hour day to care?

Anyways I'm just glad he's back with his owners
Pics tommorow I promise have some studying to finish
Cheers
Kayla
Old January 24th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Kayla,I am not trying to badmouth your mom,she was worried about your exam,but you probably saved this pups life.
IMO,everyone of us are responsible to help a defenseless creature in distress,whether it's ours or not.
You did a great thing for this pup and made a couple of humans very happy,to me,that should be worth a little extra studying.