Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old November 9th, 2004, 06:23 PM

Info on Austrialian Shepards

Hi,

We are looking into getting a dog and it is an Austrialian shepard and just wondering if anyone knows of this breed and have any info you can share about it. thanks
Old November 9th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Aussies are herding dogs. This means highly intelligent and VERY active. Training is a must. If you decide to get one, I suggest you do your homework on breeders thoroughly and while you are at it, find a good vet and a good trainer.
Old November 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM

If we got this one he is almost two yrs old and from a lady who works with my niece. She is rehoming him because she says she doesn't have enough time to spend with him. He is already trained. We are just looking into him, not sure what will happen.
Old November 9th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Please research this breed carefully before taking this dog to make sure you know what you are getting and that you can give him a permanent home.

Talk to the person who is getting rid of this dog and ask exactly why she can't keep him, other than "not having enough time."

Like most SERIOUS working dogs, Aussies need a job to do. They are very very active and need a great deal of exercise, or there will be problems.

I suggest you go to Google, and type in: Australian shepherds

You'll find all the info you need to help you decide if your lifestyle would suit a dog like this.
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:02 PM

Thanks Lucky I will look into very carefully before making a decision.
Old November 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM

My old dog, Emmy, was an asutralin shepherd mix and she was really smart. She knew how to open doors and move the baby gates. She was put down last month because she was sick with hemangiosacroma, a type of vessel cancer. She was a great dog, but this is an active breed where it cannot get bored. ALl her life she enjoyed learning a new trick everyday til she got sick.

Australian shepherds will not be happy if they are only given bone to chew on all day and play little. They have lots energy to go waste and need to be given a "job" to perform such as agility, advance obedience, etc. Is this what you want to do? Do you realize if you aren't doing this, you will get an australian shepherd who is going to be frustrated and developing destructive habits?

Many australian shepherds and border collies, (any highly versatile breeds) are turned over to rescue groups is because their owners didn't realize that those breeds are lots to work and always demand their owners' attention.

http://www.asca.org/

http://www.lizpalika.com/rightdog.html

http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/ausshep.cfm
Old November 11th, 2004, 08:31 AM

I totally agree with what CaneCorso has said. You need to have a nice big backyard and be willing to take them for walks once or twice a day (minimum). They always need something to do otherwise they get restless and will bug you to do something! They are EXTREMELY intelligent (you won't know what i mean until you own one), they can be somewhat neurotic but they are extremely loyal. Once they learn to trust you there is no separating you from them. They are wonderful dogs, if you have the time and patience to have one. Do you already have a dog? I found that when we had ours, once we got our second dog it was like a dream come true for her, as they would spend hours and hours running around the backyard with each other playing and irritating each other. They also like to be top dog, so you need to train them to know that YOU (and your other family members) are above them on the "dog ladder".
Old November 12th, 2004, 11:36 AM

We got him this morning. He is australian shepard and collie mix but he looks aussie. So far he is a wonderful dog and loves to play soccor....i have three little kids and stay home so he will always be with some one. I have lots of time to take him for walks and play with him. I think he will be fine.
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower2004
We got him this morning. He is australian shepard and collie mix but he looks aussie. So far he is a wonderful dog and loves to play soccor....i have three little kids and stay home so he will always be with some one. I have lots of time to take him for walks and play with him. I think he will be fine.
Awesome!! Let us know how he goes - I would love to see some pics if you have any ))

You will love him and he will love all the attention he can get !
Old November 15th, 2004, 10:09 AM

HI,
I posted his pic in the picture section. I also changed my name from sunflower2004 to tug'smomma. He really loves being home with someone all day.