Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 18th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Has anyone had to deal with Megaesophogus?

There's a lot of information I have come across on it, but 90% seems pretty bleak. I have read a couple of success stories and was wondering if anyone here has ever had to deal with it?

Thanks!

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

one of my very good friends is dealing with this problem with her Great Dane. She has spent a lot of money, but there is really nothing she can do about it. He is on a strict diet, there is so much that can make him sick. I can ask her any questions you want about it. Just let me know
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Now What is the matter with your beautiful boys? They sure found the right Mom and Dad to look after them Robyn, many other people would have given up on them not you, thank Dog.

I took a quick look on the net and found this website, it looks like there is some good info here even on building chairs so the dog can be "standing" whilke they eat. patti

www.2ndchance.info/vomiting-megaesophagus
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
one of my very good friends is dealing with this problem with her Great Dane. She has spent a lot of money, but there is really nothing she can do about it. He is on a strict diet, there is so much that can make him sick. I can ask her any questions you want about it. Just let me know
Thank you dogcatharmony!! I will know later this eve if this is what we're dealing with or not. If so, I will have a TON of questions. Thank you again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
Now What is the matter with your beautiful boys? They sure found the right Mom and Dad to look after them Robyn, many other people would have given up on them not you, thank Dog.

I took a quick look on the net and found this website, it looks like there is some good info here even on building chairs so the dog can be "standing" whilke they eat. patti

www.2ndchance.info/vomiting-megaesophagus
Thank you patti!! I have done quite a bit of reading on it lately and it seems that the disorder is never more than "guarded" at best. However, Dr. Karen Marsden said if that's what it turns out to be, Dr. Steve Marsden (her hubby ) is brilliant and has ac tually had success in treating it, so here's hoping and
We are taking Thorin to start the chemo tonight and Nanook is also going for x-rays at the same time. We're praying that it's just like acid reflux, but with our luck, probably not. He has been throwing up for about 3 months. Dr. Marsden (Mr.) put him on some new herbs and we switched him from the kibble to home cooked and he hasn't thrown up for awhile now, but he "spits up" a lot. He will be walking around and just puke, no retching or anything
Then he starts coughing, drooling and reverse sneezing
Everytime it happens, I get so worried that he will get aspiration pneumonia (he had it once already). Dr. Stelfox is concerned that what he's doing is Megaesophagus, so I guess we will find out tonight. Wish us luck!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old May 18th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

And we refuse to give up on either of them. When they leave us, it will be on their terms and when it's their time (as long as we can conitinue to pay, anyway!)

They're both still happy boys, playful and lovable. They both still enjoy their food and the belly rubs/snuggles. As long as they're aren't suffering, we will fight with them

Old May 18th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

sending you lots and lots of luck!
Old May 18th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

It is nice to have a possible diagnosis for the vomiting Thorin's has been dealing with. XXXXOOOOXXXX to both of your boys and you too of course. Good luck this evening with your appointment. patti
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Senior Contributor

It went very well! Finally, a break lol
We do NOT have Megaesophagus, YAY!
Dr. Stelfox did a barium swallow/x-ray and the barium moved quickly from his esophagus to his stomach. She said the spitting up/throwing up is probably gastric reflux and just a part of his overall disease and is going to try him on some motility medication. She told me to contact Dr. Marsden and let him know and make sure it won't interfere with anything he's doing or planning to do. She said to just keep an eye on him as the test isn't 100% accurate and if we see "sausage" looking tubes of vomit, then it's megaesophagus. But we've ever only seen that once, and it was when he was about 5 months old, so she isn't concerned at this point.
Thanks all for the well wishes!

Old May 18th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgeurts View Post
It went very well! Finally, a break lol
We do NOT have Megaesophagus, YAY!
YES!!!
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

What wonderful news Robyn . I am so happy for you and Thorin. So did Thorin start his chemo? patti
Old May 18th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
What wonderful news Robyn . I am so happy for you and Thorin. So did Thorin start his chemo? patti
Thorin did start the chemo, patti! So we will see how it goes
And it was Nookie that they thought had megaesophagus... and I'm SO glad he doesn't. From what I've read, most dogs die within 2 years from aspiration pneumonia, which he already had once from a seizure. She said there's still the risk of it with the gastric reflux, but we can control that with medicine, unlike ME.

Old May 18th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
YES!!!

Old May 18th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Live well, laugh often

Finally something with good results .

Woohoo!
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

That is so good to hear!!!! Still sending good vibes that everything continues to go well!
Old May 19th, 2011, 06:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Finally, some good news, Robyn I hope both your boys respond well to treatment.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."