Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 8th, 2008, 12:22 PM

Free Spay/Neuter clinics in Toronto?

A friend at work has a daughter who currently has 3 unfixed cats, 2 female and 1 male. She has asked my friend to take the cat to the humane society this weekend because she cant afford to get the male fixed. I hate to see this sort of thing happen so I thought I would find out if anyone here can help by recommending a super low cost (like $20) or free clinic?

Thanks!
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I don't know if such a place exists in Toronto. Here in Montreal, it's hard to get away with less than $100, although that includes vaccinations. My own vet has started neutering and spaying un-vaccinated animals, because people didn't want to pay. Then it would be about $50.
Can your friend not help her daughter out, give her a loan?
The females will have to be done as well, unless she wants them crawling up the walls every few weeks and escaping if they can.
Seems a bit crazy to have three cats and not a bean to spend for just normal care.
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Yeah I was really upset when she told me. They seem like the kind of people to not really care though as it was sort of a 'oh I have to take my daughters cat to the Humane Society this weekend'. I started a crusade to try and help out but its really difficult. The Toronto Animal Services does it for $68 but apparently thats too much as well. It upsets me to see people have no respect for animals.
Old February 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

I did find this info:

Quote:
Animal Crusaders of Ontario
Toronto, Ontario
Phone: (416) 438-4636
Email: jmhealy@sympatico.ca
Referral to low cost vets
Don't know how current it is.

There are apparently plans for a low cost spay/neuter clinic in Toronto if enough funds can be raised, but that doesn't help your friend's daughter right now: http://www.spaycentral.com/en/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:21 PM

I saw that as well, its a FANTASTIC idea, but sadly no help now.

Thanks for all the ideas.
Old February 8th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

$68 ! I realize some people don't even have that to spare :sad:. There's a group of vets here in Montreal who hold occasional clinics for street people and their (predominantly) dogs. Just a great service.

Keep talking to this woman. That's all you can do.
Old February 8th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

The City has a spay/neuter clinic - not sure of the costs though!

http://www.toronto.ca/animal_service...m#spay_clinics

The number is 416-338-6281

I would assume since its done through the city, you might have to prove the cats are licensed/pay to license them so that might be an extra cost.
Old March 8th, 2008, 12:34 AM

I'm looking for a spay clinic too

Hello; I've just joined because I was searching for a spay/Neuter clinic in Toronto as well.. I have 4 female cats and 1 male. Actually my Sr. Cat Annie (who's spayed) found these kittens and I later found that the mother was killed on the road. So Annie and I raised the little brood and now we have 5 cats. Two of which are now in heat.. that's why I'm up at this hour, they're driving me nuts. I think that the Toronto Animal Service is our best bet. They don't have a website, but I will call and get info. and keep you posted.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:42 AM

Free Spay Neuter clinic

The City of Toronto just opened a FREE spay/neuter clinic in Toronto at -
The facility is located at 821 Progress Ave. near Highway 401 and Markham Road.

While it is only supposed to be for wild/feral animals (strays) you can always claim to have found them I suppose or find another way to plead your case. No phone number is yet available.

The SPCA also has 2 low cost clinics, one in Newmarket and one in Barrie that charge considerably less (1/3 the price) since the costs are defrayed by some Corporate donors. The only thing is you have to call them and leave your information. Feral/strays go to the head of the line - again, since they are most at risk. Others have to wait 12 weeks or so unless you can bend the truth a little. They asl that you not advertise their prices so as not to offend any other vets or break the Vet rules.
Old August 11th, 2010, 10:05 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Thanks for the post Denise!

Please note that in order to make our forum easier to read, please only post each topic only one time.

Thx - Marko admin
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:22 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Choo View Post
The City of Toronto just opened a FREE spay/neuter clinic in Toronto at -
The facility is located at 821 Progress Ave. near Highway 401 and Markham Road.

Finally....this is so needed to help the feral/stray population, Toronto has many.

While it is only supposed to be for wild/feral animals (strays) you can always claim to have found them I suppose or find another way to plead your case.

Encouraging people to use a service that is specifically geared towards controlling the feral/stray population is inappropriate IMO...the City already has a low cost s/n clinic available.

The SPCA also has 2 low cost clinics, one in Newmarket and one in Barrie that charge considerably less (1/3 the price) since the costs are defrayed by some Corporate donors. The only thing is you have to call them and leave your information. Feral/strays go to the head of the line - again, since they are most at risk. Others have to wait 12 weeks or so unless "you can bend the truth a little. "
Not kosher
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:28 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Not kosher
My thoughts as well mf. That's what Spay Central is for. Responsible owners should be willing to pay the small cost they are asking.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Agreed it takes so long to get these services lets not abuse it or they will shut it down. Bad enough that you have to trap them and the city will not help to trap them. But it is better than what we had.....nothing
PS you could mention that it would be cheaper to keep the cat then pay the 50.00 surrender fee
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog