Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 18th, 2006, 05:42 PM

Do dogs have 'liver spots' on their skin?

I have a little Pom/Shih Tzu mix who is just over a year old. He is white with tan spots. The skin is pink where there's white fur and beige-ish where there's tan fur. how ever on his underside (furry or not) he has what look like liver spots, and white hair grows over them. They used to be just where there isn't much fur but have since spread to most of his underside and are now moving up his rib cage behind his front legs

Anyone know what the spots are and if they are cause for concern?
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM

I'm not sure I understand what you are describing.. Do you have any pics? For sure, if it's something new and you are concerned, see a vet for help though.
Old April 18th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Honest Contributor

sounds like normal pigmentation to me! happens as dogs get older... our white dog looks like a dalmation when he's wet, lots of spots on his skin but not his fur. when he was a young puppy, his skin had no spots, his nose was also pink but is nice and black now.

was this what you were asking?...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM
Senior Contributor

if this is what you are describing absolutely normal and as technodoll mentiioned with age they will get more
Old April 19th, 2006, 12:16 PM
-

I`ve seen it lots in dogs as they get older.

Ontario Greys....cute couch potato.
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM

The spots look pretty much like the ones on the Greyhound, only they are much harder to see since his fur is much longer and denser . Charley's nose has always been black though. Is a year and change considered 'getting older'?

They aren't new, but they have slowly been spreading and getting bigger, there's no pain when I poke then a the skin, other than being darker, feels normal (ie not dry or bumpy or anything). The picture below is of his front 'armpit'
Attached Images

Last edited by PetFriendly; April 19th, 2006 at 04:33 PM.
Old April 19th, 2006, 04:32 PM

Here's what all of him look likes (because I like showing him off!)
Attached Images

Old April 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

My Sophie has them. She is a purebred Shih Tzu. Completely normal. Just the biggest damn freckles I have ever seen...
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM

Yep, looks like the greyhound's spots.
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Honest Contributor

charley's gorgeous! and yep, my akita has those same huuuge body freckles... totally normal

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM

yep, my boxer is just starting to get them on her white areas (and she is just coming to 6 mos old)...
Old April 20th, 2006, 04:19 PM

I figured since the skin was normal feeling that the spots were ok, I'm going to double check with the vet when its time for his shots in May, but I feel better knowing you guys think its normal. (I'm kind of paranoid about medical stuff). Thanks everyone
Old April 20th, 2006, 05:46 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

totally normal. Melei has them too. She is a shih-tzu bichon.
Old April 20th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

yup, Buster has them on his white tummy...

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:35 AM

bazil has it too, what is it caused from , is it an indication the coat color will change or why do they come?
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:13 PM

My trainer thinks his fur might change a bit more, he has been getting more tan coloured fur over the winter. Its funny because I was told by more than one person to enjoy the colour while it lasted as he might turn all white.. I don't think that's going to happen though. I guess we'll have to wait and see
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM

liver spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly View Post
The spots look pretty much like the ones on the Greyhound, only they are much harder to see since his fur is much longer and denser . Charley's nose has always been black though. Is a year and change considered 'getting older'?

They aren't new, but they have slowly been spreading and getting bigger, there's no pain when I poke then a the skin, other than being darker, feels normal (ie not dry or bumpy or anything). The picture below is of his front 'armpit'
thanx for having these pictures on here. 2 days ago, i noticed them on my 11 mth old lhasa's stomach-never there before. they are really making me nervous- i have her on a good food, not on any recall yet, but it worries me, since i lost 3 dogs last year.
Old April 24th, 2007, 08:32 PM

I have to ask just one question. Why not just bring the dog in for a checkup. There are many inexpensive clinics that will do it if cost is a factor. It's probably nothing, but wouldn't it be better to have peace of mind.

I had a rescued Boxer who had dark spots on his white belly. He had them for months. Then, when they filled a bigger area, I thought, "oh, my baby is getting older". I wish I would have brought him in. I found out later it was a sign that his blood wasn't cleaning completely, but it may not be for all dogs. When he became ill a few months later, I found out he had aggressive lymphoma and in a matter of 5 weeks from him going from playing all day to needing to be euthanized due to the cancer taking over and having renal failure. Not that I could have done anything more, but if it's caught soon enough, they can live longer quality of lives.

I have another Boxer and I check her lymph nodes when we play, I check the color of her skin for changes, watch the two small fatty lumps on her back, check her eyes for clearness. She loves the extra attention. I now will be able to see any changes in her and perhaps resolve an issue before it becomes unresolvable.
Old April 25th, 2007, 07:17 AM

I have two boys and they both have spots! When they get their summer grooming, the spots really show. Here's a picture of Harley right after a short cut.... We actually refer to them as "cow spots"
Attached Images

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.

Last edited by BusterBoo; April 25th, 2007 at 07:30 AM.
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:01 PM

Thumbs up My dog is getting spots also.

She is 3 years old and has alot of dark spots on her now.
When she was younger she didn't have any. She got 2 on her sides first and they grew very large. Then the hair there turned tan. (She is white.)]
Then she lost some hair at the base of her tail, the spot turned dark, then the hair grew tan. When I cut her hair, she has more dark spots every time.
I think it is very normal. The vet said it is just her pigmentation.
Old November 26th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Spots and hair loss

am wondering if anyone can help with my dogs spots and hair loss. He is a Boston Terrier. The Vet scraped it sent it to a lab and came back with Microsporum Canis and prescribed lotrim. This has not helped. He has these fungus spots on the back of his ears, armpits, inside his legs and the back of his legs and for a very long time.
Attached Images

Old January 11th, 2008, 11:00 AM

Spots and hair loss

Hi,

My dog has this too. Nothing worked at all that the vet perscribed. What does work is keeping these areas dry at all times, baby powder helps too. But with anything fungal the best bet is pure unrefined virgin organic coconut oil. Put on source of skin issue until gone (worst complications go way within 48 hours) and give a heaping tablespoon each day to prevent in future.

Be careful and start out with smaller amounts orally of cocunut oil and work up to full heaping tablespoon ( I administer when in a creamy consistency). If any fungal and bateria reside in dog coconut oil will kill it but if kill it too fast dog could become sick... do some research on it as it can replace so many medications.

My dog also has had ottis ear infectiions and interdigital cysts from swimming. No more since the introduction of coconut oil!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly View Post

it looks like age spots
Old March 3rd, 2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandview22 View Post
am wondering if anyone can help with my dogs spots and hair loss. He is a Boston Terrier. The Vet scraped it sent it to a lab and came back with Microsporum Canis and prescribed lotrim. This has not helped. He has these fungus spots on the back of his ears, armpits, inside his legs and the back of his legs and for a very long time.
any fungal must be dry and not in an moisted area and keep all beding washed
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:04 PM

i have a dog very similar to the one pictured. do you know what breed or mix yours is?
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamek View Post
i have a dog very similar to the one pictured. do you know what breed or mix yours is?
radamek, this is a very old thread. I'm not sure any of those posters is still around to answer you.
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:16 AM

pigmentation?

i have a white mixed Pomeranian about 4 years, he has those similar spots but only on his privates, and he has this really darker spot rite at the tip of his genital is that normal??