Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old September 1st, 2014, 02:57 PM

Getting ready to welcome our Tibetan Terrier puppy home!

UPDATE -- I found out today that the breeder we were going to buy from has a very questionable history and so we won't be getting a puppy this week. I wrote a (looong) post explaining what happened, hopefully it can help others not go through the same experience.

The post is here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=85836

We will get a Tibetan Terrier puppy, but we'll have to wait until a trust-worthy breeder has a litter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!

I've joined the forum because we're welcoming a 10 week old Tibetan Terrier (girl) to our home in 4 days!

I've never owned a dog before but I'm a life-long dog-lover. My husband has a shi-poo (shihtzu-poodle mix) that he got when she was a puppy but who now lives with his kids at their mom's place (we pet-sit when they're out of town, usually 2-3 weeks per year). Our household is the two of us, plus the kids (10 yr old boy and 14 yr old girl) who are with us part-time.

We narrowed down our name choices to Mocha and Tashi, and are waiting to meet her to pick.

We couldn't find a Tibetan Terrier puppy close to us (in the colouring we preferred) and my husband happens to be traveling to San Francisco this week where he found a breeder with a litter ready to come home. He will be flying home on Friday with the pup.

I have tons of questions about food, puppy classes, training, treatments, and everything else to raise a healthy happy pup -- I see the forum is organized in categories, so I'll be exploring the topics to make sure I post in the right places.

All guidance and advice is welcomed!
Attached Images

Last edited by amer; September 3rd, 2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: update
Old September 1st, 2014, 06:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board! And congratulations on your new addition!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:03 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/tibetanterrier.htm

I found this web site , it may be of some help to you. I would keep all your shoes off the floor , puppies love to chew on shoes especially if you really like them. I think that that better to puppies. I found that out when my brought a 2 yo dog home he chews on my favorite shoes.
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Welcome to the board! And congratulations on your new addition!
Thank you!!
Old September 1st, 2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/tibetanterrier.htm

I found this web site , it may be of some help to you. I would keep all your shoes off the floor , puppies love to chew on shoes especially if you really like them. I think that that better to puppies. I found that out when my brought a 2 yo dog home he chews on my favorite shoes.

Thanks for the link! I've googled around but often find myself halfway through an article only to realize it's yet another generic site inserting breed names for hits. It's one of the reasons I was so happy to find this site/forum, I can trust that it's authentic.

I'm already mentally preparing myself to lose a pair or two I tell myself it's part of the process, regardless of how much I puppy-proof. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she likes her chew toys (or at least my husband's shoes) better than mine
Old September 1st, 2014, 09:42 PM

Congratulations on the new puppy! She sure looks like a cutie-pie!!
Old September 1st, 2014, 11:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amer View Post
Thanks for the link! I've googled around but often find myself halfway through an article only to realize it's yet another generic site inserting breed names for hits. It's one of the reasons I was so happy to find this site/forum, I can trust that it's authentic.

I'm already mentally preparing myself to lose a pair or two I tell myself it's part of the process, regardless of how much I puppy-proof. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she likes her chew toys (or at least my husband's shoes) better than mine
Try to keep all shoes off the floor , you don't want your puppy eating them and getting sick. My dog will eat tissues when he is bored and been going after the toilet paper b/c it been too hot to walk a lot.
I am glad the link was of help to you.
Old September 2nd, 2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne&Co. View Post
Congratulations on the new puppy! She sure looks like a cutie-pie!!
Thank you! It was hard to "pick" her from a photo, but out of the 6 pups she stood out to all of us. I just can't wait to meet her!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 10:58 AM

yay how exciting!! Good luck with the new addition!
Old September 2nd, 2014, 09:11 PM

Thank you Snow White!

Tags
new owner, puppy, tibetan terrier