Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Anyone have a non-dog-person SO?

My boyfriend is a self-admitted non-dog person. Never had any sort of pets growing up which is the opposite of me - had two cats, two dogs, 4 turtles. He was against me getting a dog in the first place but after we had talked about it, he realized it was my house (boyfriend didn't live with me at the time), my life, my decision. I did take into account the reasons why he didn't want me to get dog and he listened to the reasons why I did. He also trusted me enough ( i think!) to make sure the dog would be suitable for both our lifestyles.

So I've had my rescue dog Ranger for about 2 months and my boyfriend has taken to him so much and luckily, vice versa. When he's in town my boyfriend takes him for walks while I'm at work and sometimes gets up early so HE can feed Ranger. He's even starting to watch dog training episodes on tv and asks me a ton of questions about my obedience sessions with Ranger.

The question is: for those of you who have non dog SOs or family members, do you trust them fully with your dog(s)? I fully trust my boyfriend to take Ranger for walks around the block (he uses a harness as I am NOT comfortable with my boyfriend using the prong collar on my dog) but today he's taking the dog to the river to go swimming. Ranger will be on his harness and a long leash as he's still young and doesn't recall as well as I would like. My boyfriend is also a very responsible guy but I'm still sitting at work worrying! I feel fairly silly...but there it is. Anyone else worry about their dogs when they're not in your hands?
Old July 17th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I think I would worry too,that's just what we do,perfectly normal..but don't tell your BF that when they come back home.
I am sure Ranger is having a great time and after what you've told us about your former non-dog-lover BF,he cares about Ranger a lot,so don't worry,ok
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Molly's mama

by the sounds of it, Ranger is in good hands!
Good idea about keeping him on a long line, your bf would feel so bad if Ranger ran off on him.
I honestly don't think I would have married my husband if he wasn't a dog person!!! And I also think that non-dog people are only that way because they haven't experienced the love of a dog yet- but WILL change their minds once they do!
I had a roommate this past year who wasn't much of a dog person. She warmed up to Molly eventually but I don't think I would have trusted her out and about with Molly. She doesn't like dogs because "they smell bad and their hair messes up my designer clothes" pfft!
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:15 PM
Molly's mama

just wanted to add something... by the looks of things, you haven't added any pics of Ranger yet.... we're waiting!!!
Old July 17th, 2009, 05:59 PM

Well, the boyfriend and Ranger made it back in one piece. Both soaking wet, of course! I guess they ran into a pair of golden retrievers and Ranger was good playing with them. He was attacked by a dog 2 days before I adopted him so for the last 2 months I've been working on him meeting dogs in controlled situations. Another thing I worry about when my boyfriend walks him! All went well though. And I would never tell my boyfriend I worry about him walking Ranger...i think that would be the end of my sleeping in days when he's in town!

And as soon as I can figure out how to upload pics I will! I'll bombard you guys with pics of my new dog! (Who has turned even my boyfriend into a dog lover)
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:02 PM
-

Good for your bf , I'm happy he warmed up to Ranger

as for me ..... no , I don't trust anyone with my pets I worry too much

Just as an example : I have found out that , no matter how many times I tell people to be careful with the doors , coming in and out from the backyard , most of them will not , they will stay in the door way with door all open , and are not watching the cats (my cats are indoors ONLY) so when people are over , I don't even let them open doors when my dogs want in or out , I do it myself

oh and once , a couple of friends got to my house before I did (I wasn't gone long and let the door unlocked) only to come back to them in my driveway with my .... dogs !!!! untied and everything , I was FURIOUS , and let them know how stupid that was !
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband is actually not an animal person. If it was up to him he wouldn't have any pets! But once he agreed to get them with me (on the one rule that he would try to help me walk the dogs and feed the cats, etc) he fell in love. I truly think it's impossible for most people to continue disliking animals once they create a bond with them. They're too loveable!

And as mentioned, don't worry about 'worrying'. Thats normal! Eventually I'm sure it will just become routine for your BF and Ranger to go for walks without you occasionally, and you won't worry so much.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old July 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Slave to the Kitties

I hate it when i am working certain shifts and my father has to feed my cats , i fear he will not be fast enough to catch oggie to put him on his leash and he would lose him or something, (he is 79), oggie gets excited when its time for him to be out on his leash at feeding time, and its hard to keep him in.
So your not alone, i worry too. :sad:
Old July 17th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I'm a real snob when it comes to who I trust our pets with. DH-to-be is awesome and just as committed to them as me.....we wouldn't be getting married otherwise!

But in general I don't trust anyone but real doggie people. The only people that have ever looked in on our dogs were Winston and Sylvie, who I trust 100% with them. And I have a coworker who rescues dogs who will be looking in on our gang twice during some long day trips this August. We'll be dogsitting one of hers for 3 weeks after that, so there's a lot of mutual trust there.

Anyone else....well, I just don't trust them to do things right I'm a control freak, and it makes it awfully hard to do much when you're so picky about pet-sitters, but what are you gonna do????
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

You really know within yourself whether or not he is a good man. If he is a gentle person with you and others then there is a huge chance that he is good to your dog.

If he respects life, respects you and does not try to control you in any way this is also a good indicator of the type of person he is.

Do I trust my animals with anyone? Absolutely - but this is because I know these people very well and have all the trust in the world.

Look deep inside you. If you think he is not trustworthy - RUN!
Old July 18th, 2009, 05:27 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I fly solo...I don't know but maybe if I was to find someone as into their dogs as I am and cats too of course, then maybe I'd change my mind. Many people (outside of here) that I meet have pets but they're in a lot of cases just that, a pet. I met one guy at the park,,,ah if I was 20 years younger.. he was about the same age as my nephew..with a very cool dog, and he obviously loves this dog, he's deaf but has taken the time to train him with hand signals. Bayley really liked him and his dog too. He threw the ball for Bayley and played with her.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:39 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

No, but I used to have a non cat SO.
Old July 18th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Senior Contributor

my poor hubby was sooooooooooo not a pet person when we married, he's a city boy, I'm a country girl, we lived in a mobile home...a small one for the first 5 yrs of our marriage, hubby, my self, my chi, my cat, my rat, my hamster, my aquarium, my rabbit (wedding gift), my two budgies and my cockatiel..................hes still not an animal person but loved our late Daisy and just adores brina....he's coverted *L* a dog person...ok he tolerates my chinchilla and helps with all the rescues, dog, birds and wildlife...but still swears he dosen't like pets