Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 11th, 2009, 03:41 PM

Is it time or distance of a walk that's important?

This question came to my mind when I was reading the dog walking thread. If you're aiming to exercise your dog, is it more important to go by time (like 30 mins) or distance as in miles? For instance, I usually walk or run a set route of 3 miles. I can run it in 30 mins or I can walk it upwards of 45 - 50 mins. Which would be better for a dog mentally and physically? I don't really need to tire my guy out as he's pretty laid-back, but I was wondering what others found effective with their dogs.
Old July 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I would think it depends on the day..

sometimes they are good for a run even a short run.
other days they are good for a short walk
other days they are good to go for a long walk

I would mix it up this way they can have best of all three worlds. and this way they don't know what to expect and each day is something new.

( mind you I don't run hubby does)
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Skylar's Farm

Younger dogs need to get some cardio too, bit of jogging, running.
The older guys are happy with a walk.
Old July 11th, 2009, 04:49 PM

Scruffy runs (through fetch, his owner isn't much of a runner, but she can toss a ball..lol). He doesn't seem to need as much as he did as a pup, but a walk, any walk, won't do the same for him that good, hard running does.
Other dogs seem to enjoy a leisurely walk.
I would think there is no set rule. If your doggy is tired after a walk, that's good. If a run seems to do the trick, then run him. That's just my two cents.
Old July 11th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

I don't very often go for formal on leash walks with Bayley. Usually we go to the large dog park so she can run around and play ball etc. Mind you, I don't just stand there I walk with her. We do sometimes go walking downtown if it's not too hot and we're usually out for more than an hour. Park time can be up to 1.5 hours depending on my schedule and the weather.
Old July 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it depends too, and is a combination.

Puppy? For pup I followed (loosely sometimes, I admit) the rule of 5 minutes per month of age for leashed walking on hard surfaces allowed twice a day. This is to avoid stressing young joints with the artificial continuous straight line motion of leash walking. I followed this even though my pup was mostly off-leash and not on hard surfaces. Free play in the backyard unlimited.

Adult dog? For us this depends. One hour off-leash when I'm out walking in the bush equals, well, I don't know what it equals but it sure comes no where close to being the same amount of exercise if pup is on-leash.

If I'm running or skiing or biking my dog cannot range as far so I think he actually gets a better workout if I'm walking. When I walk he can range further and sniff all he wants. This is when he is off-leash.

Terrain makes a difference as well. Rough terrain through bush is harder for both of us, mostly me. We'd spend less time then, probably.

In the description from the OP I am guessing that walking 50 minutes might be better than running 30 if dog is on-leash and the surface is paved, just for the joint reason. Even in an adult dog.
Old July 14th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Senior Contributor

our 40 minute morning walk is brisk, a lot of it is up and down hills, away from the house when we start, I let her have her head (extended leash) so she can sniff , explore etc. on the way home she has to "walk nice" beside me, in the afternoon we have a game of fetch and chase in the back yard (large yard), our evening walk is a longer leisurely walk where we just meander along....Brina is 4 yrs old and still frisky like a pup.