Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

L-Lysine for URI?

Poor Bunduk has a kitty cold again, the little guy is looking quite sorry for himself, sniffling and sneezing.

This is kind of normal for Bunduk as he had an upper respiratory infection when we adopted him and it took him several months to shake it off. Since it was probably the herpes virus he's going to have deal with this all his life. I dont plan on taking him to the vet unless it goes beyond whats normal for him.

Anyway, when I put him in boarding he got his usual cold along with coughing and they gave him L-Lysine to boost the immune system. I was wondering if it really works to shorten the duration/severity of the cold?

So far Ive made him some chicken soup (my vet told me about that when he was a kitten) and gave him some extra cuddles

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Last edited by onster; February 5th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

ummm nevermind! lol I clearly have alzheimers already, I just searched viralyse (the product the boarding place used) and came upon a thread I started!! I totally forgot about that

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....light=viralyse

Thanks again growler

Does anyone have personal experience with it?

Old February 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM

Not sure about that particular product, but L-Lysine is generally used for herpes infections of the eye.

For URIs we put kitty in the bathroom and run a vaporizer with a few drops of tea tree oil and a few drops of oregano oil in it. We also add Vitamin C, Vitamin B, Vitamin E and Goldenseal as supplements.

Once the URI is cleared up I would have blood work run to check his immune system as well as have him tested for FIV, just to be sure (if you haven't already). Tasha's herbs makes a great Immune System Support combination for cats that we've used in the past with some success.

Also, Homeopet makes a Nose formula that works well.

Best of luck, and I hope kitty feels better soon!
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info babysweet and welcome to the board btw!

The supplements you give, are they specifically for cats or do you give them a specific amount of 'human' supplements? Also, are they all seperate or is it one supplement? Is there a specific reason why you give these supplements in particular?

Sorry for all the questions

He had bloodwork done before he got neutered and they said everythign was fine (would FIV testing be included in pre-op blood work?), since neither he nor my other cat go out, I dont think there is a way that he would have contracted FIV. Also, im pretty sure the humane society tests for that. When we got him he had already been treated for ear mites but no mention of his UTI. We took him to the vet and they gave us some antibiotics but I can't remember which (although I was a bit confused by that because if it was a virus how would AB help?). Several months later he was still sniffling and sneezing and they didnt want to put him under anasthetic for neutering until he was better - at that point he was prescribed more heavy duty antibiotics (clavamox) at which point he finally shook it off. That was spring-summer 07.

Old February 5th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I wouldn't use essential oils around cats, especially not tea tree oil. They are toxic to cats, even when inhaled. http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...therapyandcats

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM

The supplements all come individually. Most (such as vitamin E/C/B) provide human doses on the bottle so purchasing capsules or liquid and using fractions is best. Also, dosing recommendations can be found online. The Homeopet/Tasha's Herbs are both made for cats.

Regarding the essential oils, they CAN be toxic to cats, yes. However, we have treated literally HUNDREDS of cats and kittens in this fashion under the guidance of a holistic veterinarian (with the really ill ones we have even applied minute amounts of oregano oil directly to cats noses - although I do NOT advise this without PROPER supervision) and we have NEVER had a reaction.

It is my experience that the reaction level of cats to essential oils is overblown much in the same way that chocolate toxicity is in dogs. Obviously it's not completely equatable, as cats are much more sensitive than dogs, but a few drops of the oil in several litres of water in a vaporizer are not even remotely enough to injure a kitten, let alone a full grown cat.

Without the use of these oils and a vaporizer, it is my opinion that we would have lost many of the kittens/cats we were able to save.

Oh, and I highly doubt that the humane society tested them for FIV - but I would double check to be sure. No, it would not have been included in pre-an blood work.

BTW - the link to littlebigcats was referring to the process of diffusing oils, which is placing essential oils in a full strength solution above a heat source. They also recommended when using directly to dilute at least 10-1. I'm suggesting a dilution of THOUSANDS to one, and then diffusing.

Lexus - Rottweiler/Cattle Dog - Raw fed, lover of all things humorous
Fable - Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd - Grain Free - hyper, hyperintelligent, apple of our eye

And of course, the cats Jasper and Pey'j, and the current flock Kenya, Kirby, Sunny, Simone and Duffy.

Last but not least, the endless stream of incoming and outgoing rescue pups!
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:48 PM
-

Poor Bunduk :sad: ....give my little godson extra cuddles from me.

There was also this thread posted last year about Viralys ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....d=1#post644815
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the warning sugarcatmom and the cuddles rainbow He really is quite mopey :sad:

Thanks again for the info babysweet. Do you work for a rescue? sorry I must have missed your intro to the forum. To be honest Im a little wary of self medicating even if it is only supplements (too much of one or the other can cause issues), so I may go pick up some L-Lysine from the vet (I mean it can't hurt) and talk to them about adding vitamins. I would have thought that if he had FIV then my other cat would get it too and show symptoms but Onnie never once has gotten sick *touch wood* since weve had him, even when sharing food with Bunduk when Bunduk is in full out URI mode . Ill definatley ask them to test for it next time i bring him in for his check up - I may do that sooner than later if his cold progresses.

Btw, this may be really stupid, but Anita had told me that they were giving Bunduk extra cuddles because purring is proven to help healing. Was she just joking around or does anyone know if there is some truth to this? Maybe itll loosen up the mucous

Old February 5th, 2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Thanks again for the info babysweet. Do you work for a rescue? sorry I must have missed your intro to the forum. To be honest Im a little wary of self medicating even if it is only supplements (too much of one or the other can cause issues), so I may go pick up some L-Lysine from the vet (I mean it can't hurt) and talk to them about adding vitamins. I would have thought that if he had FIV then my other cat would get it too and show symptoms but Onnie never once has gotten sick *touch wood* since weve had him, even when sharing food with Bunduk when Bunduk is in full out URI mode . Ill definatley ask them to test for it next time i bring him in for his check up - I may do that sooner than later if his cold progresses.
L-Lysine is just as dangerous as Vitamin B and C - that is to say, you'd have to give massive amounts to do any damage. The only one you need to be careful with is Vitamin E because it is an oil soluble vitamin. L-Lysine is, in effect, a supplement (it's an amino acid). Vitamin B and C are water soluble, meaning that excess is passed through the urinary system. High amounts of vitamin C have been shown to acidify the urine to the point of causing issues, but again, you'd have to be giving massive amounts. We generally give a half a 250mg tablet once daily or a whole one, depending on the size of the cat. For example, when treating our puppy recently for a bladder infection, we treated her with 1000 mg vitamin C daily. She weighed 10lbs. Now, that situation was a bit different because our *goal* was to acidify her urine, but she was easily able to handle that dosage without even experiencing any digestive upset, which is the first sign of excessive Vitamin C supplementation (diarrhea).

As far as FIV transmission to your other cat, FIV is transmitted the same way HIV is in humans - that is through exchange of bodily fluids. In cats it generally takes a fairly deep tissue bite. FIV positive cats can live happily and safely with FIV negative cats for their entire lives without spreading the disease. FIV positive kittens can catch the disease from their mother at birth or through nursing (although rare). Not all kittens born to FIV positive cats will be FIV positive, but the risk is substantial. All rescued cats and kittens should be tested, although most veterinarians/shelters refrain from testing kittens until at least six months of age because FIV antibodies from mom can give false positives.

FIV won't be the cause of the symptoms, but rather the reason that your kitty is so susceptible to viral contagion. Viruses that other, healthy kitties can easily ward off are extremely dangerous for FIV positive kitties.

As for purring being good for sick kitties - I know that purring cats have been proven to have positive effects on ill humans much in the same way that petting dogs has. I don't have any reason to say that purring wouldn't have a positive effect on cats as well. I do know that with my own guys it's contagious like yawning - one starts and they all join in, a purring chorus line...

Fable - Cattle Dog/Australian Shepherd - Grain Free - hyper, hyperintelligent, apple of our eye

And of course, the cats Jasper and Pey'j, and the current flock Kenya, Kirby, Sunny, Simone and Duffy.

Old February 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

The vet will charge you big time for L-Lysine. Capsules (no additives please) from the pharmacy are way cheaper. Just empty one or two a day into the cat's wet food.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
The vet will charge you big time for L-Lysine. Capsules (no additives please) from the pharmacy are way cheaper. Just empty one or two a day into the cat's wet food.
GREAT advice badger. One capsule should be sufficient.

Old February 5th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail babysweet. I didn't mean that L-Lysine could not be as dangerous if given excessively, I just meant that since it was used on him before and approved by the vet where I boarded him, I would be more inclined to give it to him. I wasnt clear sorry. I would probably discuss with my vet before giving several supplements (even if they are only vitamins) since they already eat a good quality food (wellness canned and dry), so I assume they get the vitamins they need already. Even if it didnt harm him, but if he already got what is needed then why waste the money? I'm kind of like that with myself, in that Im not one to take lots of vitamins etc...you just pee all the extra out anyway!

Interesting about the FIV, I just thought (and was told by vet) this may all be the herpes virus that they carry throughout their life and resurfaces in times of stress. However, FIV is something I did not consider. Ill definately have him tested when we go to the vet. I looked up the symptoms and it seems issues with gums/mouth as well as bowels may be due to FIV and he has had inflamed/pink gums, chews excessively and had horrible diarrhea for a loooong time after we adopted him (was resolved after taking fortiflora prebiotic by purina).

Thanks Badger , Ill check @ the pharmacy

Old February 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM
~Cat Servent~

Aw poor Bunduk!! My guys have been kinda sneezy as of late too, happens a couple times a year here.... and Buddy also had a really bad URI (had an emerg visit for laboured breathing) when he was around a year old, took almost a month to get over it completely and now seems prone to 'colds'. At least kitties don't all go to school together and just keep spreading it around!

I've never really given anything to them for it, although I did try some of that vitamin paste type stuff in the tube, but it seemed more trouble than it was worth. Let me know how the lysine works if you try it.... and I hope that crazy little Bunduk is back to his usual troublesome self in no time!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysweet View Post
Regarding the essential oils, they CAN be toxic to cats, yes.
Cool, I'm just glad to hear that you're aware and cautious about their use. Most people have no idea, not even vets. And to compound the problem, there are lots of "natural" commercial products containing essential oils that are marketed for use on both dogs and cats when they have absolutely no place being anywhere near a cat.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Onster, I have used L-lysine for my cats when I would adopt new ones and they would pass on the URI to the others. Unfailingly it would clear up the symptoms within 1 week or so. I am fortunate that none of them has had any replases. The first time I bought the L-lysine in a syringe form (in a paste) from my vet but afterwards switched to capsules I bought over the counter. I just got an empty syringe, put in a little distilled H20 and powdered lysine and inserted it in the side of the cat's mouth. (For my own purposes and on the advice of a Naturopath that works for my employer I also added pulsatilla (a homeopathic), sodium ascorbate vitamin C and rescue remedy to the syringe as well.)

Keep in mind (and vets will tell you this) the virus can become active when the cat is under stress. You may notice Bunduk gets the symptoms of a cold when he is under stress. This is one reason when someone brings a cat home from the Humane Society (where URI's are so common) it is necessary to keep them separated from other cats and in as a stressfree environment as possible.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Cool, I'm just glad to hear that you're aware and cautious about their use. Most people have no idea, not even vets. And to compound the problem, there are lots of "natural" commercial products containing essential oils that are marketed for use on both dogs and cats when they have absolutely no place being anywhere near a cat.
It's actually a pet peeve of mine - so many tea tree oil shampoos for cats, lavender shampoos for cats, sprays for cats, etc. etc.

Drives me crazy!

This is why we purchase all our own oils, they are stored carefully, away from kitty's reach, and they are used with caution.

But as far as a few drops in a vaporizer - oil of oregano in particular works wonders. If you don't have a vaporizer, putting a few drops in the bottom of the tub, putting the stopper in and then running the shower on HOT until the tub fills will successfully fill the room with steam. Of course, this method requires you to supervise the kitty during treatment - many cats are playful around water, and direct contact with hot, oil treated water is not something I would risk.

Incidentally, while oil of oregano is well known for its properties regarding throat bacteria when swallowed, it is also great for people and chest/nasal colds when used as described above for cats - for people, however, you can use several drops as opposed to a few.

Old February 5th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Dracko thanks for sharing your experience!

Krdahmer Ill def let you know how it goes

thanks all Ill pick it up tomorrow!

babysweet
Youre a wealth of info, thanks! I dont have a vaporizer so Ill try the tub. I actually have some oil of oregano on hand too ( it does work wonders for sore throats)