Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Husky Addict

Animals in need of home, what can I do?

Hi everyone!

So, as some of you might remember, I work in a veterinary center (24h and everything).

I often get emails from coworkers who knows people who want to find good homes for pets (either they are clients who have a pet that they can`t keep or friends or families) they most of the time, want to avoid rescues as it does happen more often than not, thatthe animals are simply thrown around fosters to fosters before finding forever homes.

We also have sometimes, clients who loves the animals a lot, but can`t afford the care (most often than not, it`s accidents where the animals have a great chance of having a long and happy life after the surgery) then, someone here decides to take the animal under our care (personal care) and we do an ''Adoption''

We also have the occasional SPCA animal that has to be put down for no other reason than existing and the SPCA are overbooked , we, again, in most cases, adopt those animals until we find a better home for them.

So, Im wondering if its possible to post some here, I`m not a rescue per say (nor do I have the time to manage one...) but i`d like to help in a way I can, broadcast

Anyone has any ideas on that one?

Gen

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
-

You will have to pm Marko to get permission to post animals for adoption.

IMO rescues are wonderful and a saviour for many pets, without them there would be a many wonderful animals that would be pts....I don't think that they get bumped around one foster home to another, to the contrary
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:42 PM
Husky Addict

I wish I could be 100% sure of that, unfortunately being a foster my self (so I was anyway) I got really depressed at the fact that I knew the animal would come back to another foster, since the rescues either didin`t profile the forever home or fosters (You have no idea the bad case that got worse because of a bad foster....)

But I`ll definately ask Marko about it, thanks!

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat
Old October 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

That is interesting...

Vets usually call rescues to take in animals that are either left there because they could not pay for a procedure...or they are simply left there and never reclaimed after a vacation...or they are left there as a 'found' animal.

Oh and some vets forward the animals to high kill pounds without making any effort at all.

If a vet decides to help out an animal (which I know of 2 vets that does this) then more power to them. They take full responsibility and ENSURES that the animals adopted from them are sterilized and go to pre-approved homes. I think that is wonderful.

Rescues do the very best they can with what they have. At the very least they are not euthanizing animals due to expenses. Vets on the other hand do if someone cannot afford to have something done. No compassion there. Pay or too bad! Now what is the worse of the two 'evils'?
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Ashtoreth, I think it's wonderful that you and your co-workers care enough to want to help. That said, perhaps you have just run into some "weaker" rescues in the past. I would suggest that you could ask BenMax for the names of a couple of reputable rescues and then go visit one or two of them. Once you meet the people and see how they work you would probably feel more comfortable in asking them for help with the animals you describe. I hope BM doesn't mind my offering her name up, but she's very involved in Rescue and is in your general area, she may be a good starting point. I think the key is finding a rescue that you are comfortable with. Following that thought then perhaps your office could help out the rescue with reduced costs for procedures they need to have done, a mutually beneficial relationship kind of thing. Good luck to you.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Ashtoreth, I think it's wonderful that you and your co-workers care enough to want to help. That said, perhaps you have just run into some "weaker" rescues in the past. I would suggest that you could ask BenMax for the names of a couple of reputable rescues and then go visit one or two of them. Once you meet the people and see how they work you would probably feel more comfortable in asking them for help with the animals you describe. I hope BM doesn't mind my offering her name up, but she's very involved in Rescue and is in your general area, she may be a good starting point. I think the key is finding a rescue that you are comfortable with. Following that thought then perhaps your office could help out the rescue with reduced costs for procedures they need to have done, a mutually beneficial relationship kind of thing. Good luck to you.
It would be my pleasure. If I cannot get them into a rescue here, I certainly can in other provinces. And absolutely, reduced costs would help out ALOT! Thank you Dog Dancer for bringing that up BTW.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 01:46 PM
Husky Addict

we're working on getting a rescue price, however, since we're not known to be the cheapest center.... its still more expencive here than others (which sucks imo...) buuut, we do, sometime give the chance to other vets to have customers when needed and when they can

however, we do have SOME vets here that try to save some, but we can only do that much :S it`s sad, silly capitalism

Titus - Siberian Husky
Lex - hairless rat

Last edited by ashtoreth; October 2nd, 2009 at 02:06 PM.