Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Suggestions & Improvements

View Poll Results: Should we ask to add a Buy/Sell/Give section to Pets.ca?
Yes, I would love to have something like that 26 72.22%
Maybe, will have to see how it works 8 22.22%
Not sure, may or may not use it 1 2.78%
No, I do not think this will be beneficial 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 7th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Compromised account

Lightbulb Opinions! - 'freecycle' on pets.ca

I had a : that maybe people on pets.ca would benefit from having sort of a message board, where they can offer items they don't need or want and be able to sell for a nominal amount or give away to those who want them.
Items could be pet or non-pet related, the poster will just have to specify that in the name of the thread. Also, would be good to post "WANTED" items, since people may not realize that someone else wants or needs certain items until they see a post about it.
I would greatly appreciate if you could post your thoughts about the idea and any other suggestions related to this.

So far, the following suggestions have been mentioned :
1. Only regular members would be able to post, since we do NOT want a flood of random people coming in just for that and creating a chaos.
2. ABSOLUTELY NO ANIMALS TO BE SOLD OR GIVEN! Only items allowed!

So I am asking for your !

Thank you in advance, everyone!

Last edited by JennieV; January 7th, 2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: figured out how to add a poll! LOL
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Senior Contributor

jennie I am in total agreeance on this.

I have one for the forum where I am an admin on & it works great plus gives a chance to meet members from your area.
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Contributor

thats a super idea, brenda and the pins..
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:32 PM

I think this is a great idea!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Great idea. Only problem I can see is....... what constitutes a "regular" member? Would there be a cut off, certain number of threads before you could contribute/be a part of the message board? Like, you have to have at least 100 posts and be an active member; as in you have posted something in the last week? Or you have to have so many posts a week in order to be considered a regular? That to me is something that I see may cause problems. We have a lot of "regular" members that come in and lurk without signing in. They don't post all the time but they are here a lot. LOL Obviously I can be left out of that.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Senior Contributor

14+ I think jennie means have a cetain amount of posts. not a new member just like the pictures or pming someone. (You need to have a certain number to be able to PM)
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Doggie Wench

Personally, I like the 'Freecycle' approach .

I guess it would be a good idea if it was pet supplies such as training books, collars, Haltis, crates, etc. I don't know about other household stuff...there are so many online buy/sell sites as it is . Perhaps if we made it pet specific so it would be keeping in line with this site?

Bu then we might get members who'll only post the minimum in order to self-promote ?
Old January 18th, 2017, 09:23 AM

Unused pet medications

What to do with unused pet medication? I recently lost my 18 year old Elly cat to a broken leg. At the time of her passing she was being treated by a vet for a thyroid problem. So now I have approximately 100 Tapazole (methimazole) 5 mg tablets. With the high cost of pet medication, it seems a shame to toss them away. Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old January 18th, 2017, 10:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Some vet clinics will take opened bottles of meds back and dispense them to low-income households as needed, so you might want to check with your vet first.

Elly

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 18th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so, so sorry you have lost Elly. My condolences.

Yes, ditto Hazel. Some nice people gave thyroid ear gel back to my Vet when their cat passed away. I was the only one with a cat on the same dose so the Vet gave it to me, nearly a whole box, free. I offered to reimburse the people (I don't know who they are) but the Vet said they said no need.