Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Young at Heart

Whew - what a time we've had!

Bobby went to an emergency appointment yesterday - he had yet another reaction, presumably to his food. We've been through just about every kind of food known to man and dog and it was looking like we had a winning combination - cooked yams and cooked meat - but, not to be. We were up all Thursday night - he had to go out every hour and half!

He is now on a hypoallergenic food and we are waiting for test results for pancreas function and a blood panel. Hopefully the results will be ready on Monday.

At least his diarrhea has stopped! Last night we all slept from 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm when I woke both Amber and Bobby to go outside then we all slept again until 7:15 this morning..

Keep your fingers and paws crossed for good results for Bobby please
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Remembering Lukka

Bobby, I hope you get the results you are looking for
Old March 29th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Bobby! for normal test results and that his intestinal issues are short-lived.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:05 PM
-

I'm so sorry JanM :sad: did he have diarya ? Have you tried non grain kibble ? Probiotics ?

Will keep all our paws crossed here for Bobby's results.
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Poor puppy and poor you! Especially when you thought you had finally got his food right. I hope the vet has some answers for you soon so you can get poor Bobby sorted out.

Cindy
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:28 PM
owned by goldens

Unhappy Have you tried....

100% pumpkin. That should slow the soft soft poopies!russte
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I'm so sorry JanM :sad: did he have diarya ? Have you tried non grain kibble ? Probiotics ?

Will keep all our paws crossed here for Bobby's results.
Hi Frenchy - yes, I've tried no grain kibble - he can't handle it. I've tried - raw - no go, I've tried just about every kind of kibble available - nope. I went to cooked brown rice, raw veggies and cooked meat - that lasted a few months - then cooked yams and cooked meat - that lasted a month. I was at my wit's end - so now its the hypoallergenic stuff. Yes, I've had him on probiotics - tried them for a month - saw no change so stopped. He is now on a different kind of probiotic.

This past month has been very, very difficult for all of us! Bobby could only handle a 10 minute walk in the afternoon and he would just give out.

so - yes, fingers and paws crossed for Bobby are good things!
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
Bobby could only handle a 10 minute walk in the afternoon and he would just give out.
:sad: I didn't know :sad: I sure hope your vet finds out what's wrong
Old March 29th, 2008, 06:37 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Add my to the list for Bobby. Hope you find something soon.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

and for good test results!

We had a dog that had IBD--the symptoms sound very similar....and the timing is right--every couple of months, he'd develop a sensitivity to whatever he was eating. Has Bobby been tested for inflammatory bowel disease?

I hope they can figure this out for you and Bobby!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:01 AM

for Bobby

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 30th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Senior Contributor

So sorry about Bobby,it must be incredibly frustrating and upsetting:sad:
that you'll get some answers and a solution
Old March 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Keeping 2 and 12 crossed for Bobby! I was thinking the same thing, Hazel, sounds like it could be an IBD.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by russte View Post
100% pumpkin. That should slow the soft soft poopies!russte
Yup - tried the pumpkin - it's worked very well in the past but this time it didn't work at all.
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
and for good test results!

We had a dog that had IBD--the symptoms sound very similar....and the timing is right--every couple of months, he'd develop a sensitivity to whatever he was eating. Has Bobby been tested for inflammatory bowel disease?
How did you handle the IBD? I'm not sure the vet is or has checked for that but when she calls on Monday I will definitely ask her about it. Thanks for the tip!
Old March 31st, 2008, 09:12 PM

wow i hope bobby finds what he needs to help him out poor guy... please let us know what the vet has said..
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopoo View Post
wow i hope bobby finds what he needs to help him out poor guy... please let us know what the vet has said..
The vet was supposed to call today so I waited 'til after supper thinking they might make their calls after the "regular" work day - waited too long! I'll be calling them tomorrow for sure - and yes, I will post when I know.

Thank you, everyone, for caring and sharing!
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
How did you handle the IBD? I'm not sure the vet is or has checked for that but when she calls on Monday I will definitely ask her about it. Thanks for the tip!
After an initial course of prednisone to knock back the inflammation, we put him on those yucky prescription hypoallergenic foods...I think we used Purina HA and Hills Z/D (one had no flavor, the other too much--but he'd eat a mix of the two). That was a long time ago--they may have other things available. The ingredients were awful, but they hydrolyzed the proteins into little bits that were able to slip through his digestive system without being recognized as protein--hence he didn't develop a sensitivity to them.

It worked. We never were able to get him up to the 70 pounds he should have been, but at least he never dropped below 55 again after we started the new food.

But this is all moot--I guess there are at least 4 types of IBD--Evan's was mediated by eosinophils. There may be other diets better suited to the other types of IBD. So if Bobby does have IBD, you may have other options open to you.

for good results on the tests and a definitive diagnosis!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 31st, 2008, 11:10 PM
-

I just saw this thread now. So sorry to hear about Bobby. Have you tried slippery elm bark? I hope you get good test results for him tomorrow.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:05 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hey Jan, I just saw this thread too, so sorry Bobby's having a hard time!! :sad: Do you have an update?

Give your fur-babies lots of kisses from me and my critters!!

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM

I know you're pain, my Bob is a vegetarian. Went through every kibble I could find, from the $20 bags to the $140 bags. Tried the home cooking and that didn't go well either. Finally got a purely vegetarian dog food that did the trick. Have you tried vegetarian dog food?

They normally say that a dog is allergic to a type of protein found in a type of meat. Bob is allergic to Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Pork, Horse and pretty much everything else. Meat goes in EXPLOSIVE diarrhea comes out.

There is also a VEGAN dog food, give that a try also. Hypoallergenic dog foods didn't work with bob, we still had record projectiles from him.
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:51 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsdad View Post
I know you're pain, my Bob is a vegetarian. Went through every kibble I could find, from the $20 bags to the $140 bags. Tried the home cooking and that didn't go well either. Finally got a purely vegetarian dog food that did the trick. Have you tried vegetarian dog food?

They normally say that a dog is allergic to a type of protein found in a type of meat. Bob is allergic to Beef, Chicken, Lamb, Pork, Horse and pretty much everything else. Meat goes in EXPLOSIVE diarrhea comes out.

There is also a VEGAN dog food, give that a try also. Hypoallergenic dog foods didn't work with bob, we still had record projectiles from him.
Wow - your story sounds much like mine! I will certainly keep this in mind because I never know how long it will be on a new food before Bobby reacts to it - could be a month, a week or 2 or more months.

I still haven't heart from the Vet with his test results - I've called them twice and have been waiting all day! This is the frustrating part - waiting.

Bobby is showing improvement though - he and Amber played in the yard this evening for about 30 minutes - running and wrestling - something he hasn't done for a very, very long time!
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's pretty stinky of them to keep you hanging! Do you think the results are just not back yet, or do you think they've just been extremely busy?

Old April 2nd, 2008, 06:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Jan,great to read Bobby is showing improvement
Shame on your vet though keeping you waiting
Old April 2nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
That's pretty stinky of them to keep you hanging! Do you think the results are just not back yet, or do you think they've just been extremely busy?
I know the results are there - once when I phoned the receptionist said they had arrived and the doc would be calling me. And yes, it is pretty stinky - it may be that there's no urgent reason to get the results to me - I just don't know!

I phoned again at 7:30 this morning and left a message with their answering service - just in case the receptionist hadn't passed on my messages but nothing yet. I do know they are very busy - they have a small and large animal practice BUT ...
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
-

Once I called and couldn't get the results ( I think it was for Sam's biopsy) so I jumped in my car and went there , they had no choice but to answer me asap

Is it far from your place ? How can they let you wait this way .... maybe because it's a good news and feel it can wait ?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 12:02 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Jan,great to read Bobby is showing improvement
Shame on your vet though keeping you waiting
YUP - I agree! Waiting is just about the worst! Bobby was pretty good on our morning outing this morning but I've found that his energy level doesn't last - he is pretty good for an hour, maybe an hour and a half after eating then he slows down again. Yesterday afternoon he could only go for a 5 minute walk before he slowed so much that I brought him home.

It was after supper that he and Amber played so nicely yesterday so we'll see what today brings.
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Young at Heart

Well, Bobby's test results are in - and, other than a Low Normal for Thyroid, the vet says everything is absolutely normal. She figures it is only a food allergy. She did mention that his fecal samples were full of clostrydium - I told her the clinic staff had told me it was cryptosporidium - very different!

Anyway, she suggested his low energy and inability to do an afternoon walk might be behavioural (lazy) rather than physical so today I forced him to do the whole afternoon walk - he wasn't happy and was very, very slow - I didn't make him go fast at all. When we got home, he just sank down on the deck and didn't even get up to come in the house when I went in. That tells me it isn't behaviour. So, he goes back on the 11th (after his antibiotics are finished) to have his heart checked out more thoroughly.

Bobby has shown improvement - the diarrhea has stopped and he does play with Amber a couple of times a day so that's more than what we had before! I sure won't be forcing him on any more walks though..
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:51 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I agree Jan, he's a golden for Pete's sake...if he wanted to walk he'd let you know...and he's not old, and even lazy goldens have energy!!

You know when they are off, not themselves...I think most owners can tell the slightest "off" behavior...and even more so in high energy breeds...

Have you done allergy tests before?

This has been ongoing for awhile eh? Its one of those frustrating mystery illnesses...tests, theories, more tests...is it food, environmental...behavioral...and then treatment options... Very frustrating.

(That's Bobby in the middle)

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
-

ah JanM, I'm happy about the results but it doesn't really answer the question ... I hope you get one soon. 3 years old and not wanting to go for walks ... something is up.