Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 17th, 2008, 11:29 PM

9 month old urinating while she sleeps

Hello again,

I have a new question. Layla just started in the last couple of weeks to pee while she sleeps. It gradually began to happen more, so this past week I brought the vet a urine sample. He said she has no UTI. I explained that she's fully housetrained and it only happens while she sleeps.
He mentioned that although she's only 9 months old, it could be incontinence and that if it got too bad, it can be treated with estrogen?
Has anyone had this problem before? Is there anything else it could be? I've read up that it can be a birth defect also. I know I'm not qualified to make any decision, but I would think if it was a birth defect, it would have happened from day 1.
I can't really get mad at her, because usually she doesn't know what's going on. She just wakes up all wet a groggy. It even drips still for another few seconds.
It really makes it hard to just relax at night and let her sleep while I watch TV when I know she's going to pee more than likely.
Any insight would be helpful. Thanks
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Has she been spayed? If so, I had the same problem with one of my dogs years ago. We treated her with estrogen and she was fine.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Has she been spayed? If so, I had the same problem with one of my dogs years ago. We treated her with estrogen and she was fine.
Thanks for replying. Yes, she was spayed about 3 months ago. I wonder if it could be something related. How long did you have to treat your dog?
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

For the rest of her life, but the estrogen is really cheap and they will start you off at a higher dose and then they wean off to a minimum dose per week. Not a big deal Let us know what the vet says.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else