Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 25th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Bothersome outside cat.. What to do?

Hi all.. Well, I have an issue.. There is a cat that I know belongs to my neighbor. He always comes over to my deck and sits there consistently. He is stressing my two fur babies out, and is it possible that I can not enjoy the fresh air outside just because he is sitting there? Does not seem right to me. He is wrecking my screen door.. I saw him doing it, he stretches up my screen and his claws get stuck and I have small holes in it already. And, he is pushing on the bottom of the screen and detatching it from the door. I am a cat lover, and I do not want to take the cat to the shelter, but I am currently in a fight with the lady who owns the cat, and I really don't need any more problems with her. But, even if I did ask her, she would just tell me that he is an outdoor cat, and she will not bring him in until when she goes to sleep (like she did before, she is a nightmare these days). I just don't know what to do! Both my cats are seniors and they do not need to be stressed out like that all day every day. I close the patio door, he leaves, and then the minute I open the door back up to get the screen, he comes right back again, because he doesn't go far. It's like he is stalking us! LOL.. Any ideas of what to do about this situation? I would appreciate any advice! I am at my whits end!! Thanks..
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicks View Post
Hi all.. Well, I have an issue.. There is a cat that I know belongs to my neighbor. He always comes over to my deck and sits there consistently. He is stressing my two fur babies out, and is it possible that I can not enjoy the fresh air outside just because he is sitting there? Does not seem right to me. He is wrecking my screen door.. I saw him doing it, he stretches up my screen and his claws get stuck and I have small holes in it already. And, he is pushing on the bottom of the screen and detatching it from the door. I am a cat lover, and I do not want to take the cat to the shelter, but I am currently in a fight with the lady who owns the cat, and I really don't need any more problems with her. But, even if I did ask her, she would just tell me that he is an outdoor cat, and she will not bring him in until when she goes to sleep (like she did before, she is a nightmare these days). I just don't know what to do! Both my cats are seniors and they do not need to be stressed out like that all day every day. I close the patio door, he leaves, and then the minute I open the door back up to get the screen, he comes right back again, because he doesn't go far. It's like he is stalking us! LOL.. Any ideas of what to do about this situation? I would appreciate any advice! I am at my whits end!! Thanks..
You should take some photos of the cat the next time it attacking your screen and show the photos to the owner of the cat. And tell her you want her pay for a new screen or keep her cat away from your house. I would get a spray bottle and spray the cat with water the next time it on your screen door.
Old May 26th, 2012, 07:00 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

If she's nasty and there's no reasoning with her....tell he that you will be sending this pic whatever agency governs pets in your area.

another idea - if you have sprinklers, maybe have them sprinkle in the area the cat likes to hang out. Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 26th, 2012, 11:19 PM

Sprinklers are a good idea. I was going to say super soaker... It would be a lot more fun Even a spritzer bottle of some sort filled with water would do the trick.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:30 PM

LMAO! You guys are funny.. I tried your suggestions and it looks as though it is working.. I have not seen the cat around at all! Thanks everyone!
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicks View Post
LMAO! You guys are funny.. I tried your suggestions and it looks as though it is working.. I have not seen the cat around at all! Thanks everyone!
That is good , now your cats will not get so stress out anymore .
Old June 28th, 2012, 04:22 AM
Neo+cats

I was going to say spritser bottle too with some pet-off product mixed in if necessary. If he's already getting the message that's the best thing though. Bothersome neighbours are ... well, bothersome!

(There's one little house we like, but my guy knows the neighbours - small town - and said no, moving in next to people like that not knowing is bad enough, but knowing them, and especially her, it's dumb to even look at the house!)

Maybe one of those anti-dog-attack whistle thingies would help too?

Just a thought though: don't let your neigbour see you spray her cat if she's already irate!