Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 12th, 2009, 09:54 PM
chronically insane.

Affordable food for feline with UTD

Hiiii Need some help if anyone has any advice. My aunt feeds her cats crummy grocery store brand food, and since her one cat now has chronic UTI's and has the feline UTD thingy as well as being overweight and her one kitten that i gave her that's 9 months old is already GROSSLY obese.. and overall her cats really aren't thriving. She's finally starting to listen to me about feeding a better diet. Her vet recommended Nutro. I still work at the pet food store and we discontinued it after Mars bought them out.

So right now I have my cats on Healthwise and it's been working out alot better. I like anything by Natura and grain free was getting too expensive and upsetting my cats stomachs. A big bag of healthwise is 25$ and it's working great.

Right on their pamphlets it says it's good for urinary tract health.. it's also for all life stages as well. Would this be a decent food for suggesting to my aunt?

http://www.healthwisepetfood.com/pro...ult.asp?id=544

I also ended up grabbing a sample of Duck a la Veg by Fromm. That cats LOVED it but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for all their needs.
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-c-d-duck.php

She's being ridiculous about the prices of stuff. For the canned food the cheapest we have at work is Triumph brand. That's likely what she is going to end up getting since it says right on the label it's low and controlled magnesium. I know it's not a super great food but it's cheap and not Friskies.

If anyone has any low cost suggestions that'd be great. It seems not everyone is willing to put out money for their cats... even if it's only a couple extra cents a day.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Hi Kathryn, I was thinking about you the other day and was wondering what happened to you.

I think Felidae is still relatively cheap if you buy it in the large cans and is half decent food. Her cats should be on a canned diet so they can get enough water to prevent UTI, in the long run, it is easier to buy canned food, then to pay for vet bills.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 15th, 2009, 10:54 AM
chronically insane.

That's my point... you guys on here have been right about all that when you told me to switch 3 years ago.. my cats are doing alot better although 3 of them are having some issues, it's more related to stress (and I've been working on helping them out and they are slowly working things out).

She's just being cheap... which is insane. She exclaimed she goes threw almost a whole can a day she can't pay .89$ a can for triumph! but yet she's paying threw the nose for her cat to constantly have to go to the vets for UTI and crystal unblockage and all that stuff... her other kitten is now getting to be quite obese.. his brother has some allergy problems (hair lose, dry skin, itchy nose and eye boogies) and the other cat really don't have any problems but still... and she feeds just kinda store brand food.

It's not that she can't afford it because she totally can.

So hoping to try and convince her to stop in where I work and check some stuff out..

see everyone around later

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old May 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Perhaps you can show her on paper the cost of the quality canned food and compare what she is currently paying for food PLUS all the vet bills. Seeing it on paper sometimes makes a difference.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey