Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old January 12th, 2008, 12:14 AM

Question Very pregnant cat questions...

One of my cats is very pregnant and I've had pregnant cats before...in fact 2 of mine are pg now and due any day...my husband says he can feel the babies move in Sweetie but I never can.I can't even feel the babies in her period,although her stomach is extremely tight and when Ginger tightens her stomach I can't feel hers either.Neither of them have started leaking milk yet but they are both huge and their nipples are quite large as well.I don't know why I'm so worried this time around,she is eating and drinking normally as well as using the bathroom normally.She is a petite cat and she is almost 2 years old pregnant with her first litter.I prefer not to take her to the vet if it's not necessary because she is very skittish around new people and I don't want to overly stress her out at this point...any suggestions?
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:31 AM
-

My only suggestsion is to get all three of your cats spayed.
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:38 AM

That won't be necessary considering they will never be around another male again.They are all strictly indoor cats and have never been outside,I was working for a dog kennel and in November one of the neighbors to the kennel moved and left their 2 male cats outside to fend for themselves.My husband and I felt bad for them so we brought them home with us until we could find homes for them.We didn't think it would be a big problem since normally my girls HATE other cats but within 2 days they REALLY hit it off.We have since found homes for the boys and in a few month will be adopting out the kittens.
Old January 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM
-

Are you aware that unspayed cats go into heat for 4 to 5 days every 3 weeks during breeding season?

Also, during this time, they yowl and urinate more frequently....sometimes all over the house.

And, most importantly, unspayed cats are at a high risk of developing cancer or pyometra....both of these can be fatal.

:sad:
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:05 AM

Actually,my cats do not yowl or urinate more frequently and they have NEVER gone potty anywhere besides the litterbox. I have had many cats and never had them spayed and never had any complications.I feel spaying is completely unnecessary considering what I have mentioned.Plus I refuse to let my babies be uncomfortable in any way. This is not what I came on here for,I came on here for suggestions about the pregnancy,not to be lectured into unnecessarily spaying my girls. I will not do it and you will not convince me to.
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:12 AM

And for the record I happened to look this up...Classically, the patient is an older female dog. (Pyometra can occur in the cat but its not common.)

Just so you know
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:40 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckyboo82 View Post
And for the record I happened to look this up...Classically, the patient is an older female dog. (Pyometra can occur in the cat but its not common.)

Just so you know

From http://www.pandecats.com/x/dr_little_pyo.htm ....

Quote:
In order to understand pyometra in cats, it is first necessary to understand the underlying condition, called cystic endometrial hyperplasia (CEH). CEH tends to be a chronic subclinical condition and may be hard to diagnose definitively without biopsy of the uterus. Uterine pathology, mostly secondary to CEH and endometritis, is common in queens over 5 years of age. CEH is very common in unbred queens over 3 years of age.

It has typically been believed that because cats are induced ovulators, the incidence of CEH/pyometra is lower than in dogs. However, recent studies have shown a great many cats are also spontaneous ovulators, and therefore may experience prolonged diestral periods without pregnancy. The diestral phase of the estrous cycle in cats is the period when the uterus is under the influence of progesterone. This commonly happens in pregnancy, but also in pseudopregnancy (false pregnancy).
Old January 12th, 2008, 01:43 AM
-

Quote:
I feel spaying is completely unnecessary considering what I have mentioned.

http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx

:sad:
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
We didn't think it would be a big problem since normally my girls HATE other cats but within 2 days they REALLY hit it off.
This is a remarkably ignorant comment for someone who claims to have experience. A female in heat will always be receptive to an intact male, it's her biological imperative, along with eating and excreting. Even if she is sick and half-starved, she will submit.
Your 'reasoning' is what I normally hear from the young ninjas in my neighbourhood who think neutering their male pits is unnatural and even an offense to their own masculinity (go figure).
I suppose you peddle these same fictions to the people who adopt your kittens. Which only increases the chances of them escaping through an open door or window and ultimately dying outside. Many beloved pets have gone missing for want of a simple castration or spay. I pick them up from the alley every day.
If you actually came here to learn something new, open your ears.
Old January 12th, 2008, 06:35 AM

The fact that you didn't spay your girls has also lead to their pregnancies. The births may or may not go well, complications can arise. Plus you are adding to the cat overpopulation problem - millions of them are put down every year in shelters. Do you have good homes lined up for all these kittens?
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:15 AM

We are all very pro spay/neuter on this board. I have spent a lot of money having my cats (and all the other strays in the neighborhood) fixed to try and help control the excess pet population. When I read that someone let 2 unfixed male cats into their house with their unspayed females and didn't think it would be problem it gets my back up. If you're looking for support, get your pets fixed!
Old January 12th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I feel spaying is completely unnecessary considering what I have mentioned.Plus I refuse to let my babies be uncomfortable in any way.
Wow, you really need to give your head a shake. So you don't want your "babies to be uncomfortable", huh? Okay then, how about some compassion for the other cats you just killed because your "littering" took away their potential homes. You should take a long hard look at this site before getting all huffy when people suggest you do the responsible thing by getting your friggin cats spayed: http://spayeducation.org/overpopulation2.php

Quote:
The breeding rate of puppies and kittens greatly exceeds the number of homes available to animals. Negligent individuals who fail to have their dogs and cats spayed or neutered to prevent reproduction, commercial and hobby breeders, and puppy mills, continue to bring more puppies and kittens into an already overpopulated world, thereby ensuring that the vast majority of animals brought to shelters will not be placed in adoptive homes.
The way by which many people acquire animals also contributes to the mass killing. Instead of adopting from a shelter and signing an adoption contract, many people:

1. Answer “free to a good home”or “animals for sale” ads.
2. Buy from a pet shop.
3. Buy from a breeder.
4. Acquire a puppy or kitten from a neighbor’s or friend’s unwanted litter.

Acquiring animals from the above sources condemns shelter animals to death. Only 2.2 to 15% of dogs and .2 to 3% of cats brought to shelters are placed in homes. The rest are killed, or worse, turned over to dealers or laboratories. On average, 25% of animals killed in shelters are purebred. In some regions, 50% are purebred. The most popular breeds are often found in shelters in the greatest numbers.
This endless killing perverts a major purpose of humane societies, which is to prevent suffering and to investigate and prosecute cases of animal cruelty. Vast numbers of animals briefly cared for and then killed in shelters are an enormous drain on both public funds and on private philanthropy. Governmental agencies and humane societies are forced to devote their resources to processing and killing animals, while education, investigation, and prosecution go without funding.
Quote:
THE FACTS

FACT: Every 1.5 seconds a shelter animal is killed. That's 192,308 per week or 27,473 pets euthanized every 24 hours, 365 days a year.

FACT: One female cat and her offspring can produce 420,000 cats in 7 years.

FACT: Over 10 million cats and dogs are killed in shelters each year. Millions more are abandoned, only to suffer from illness or injury before dying.

FACT: It costs U.S. taxpayers an estimated $2 billion each year to round up, house, kill, and dispose of homeless animals.

FACT: Over 56% of dogs and puppies entering shelters are killed, based on reports from over 1,055 facilities across America.

FACT: Approximately 71% of cats and kittens entering shelters are killed, based on reports from 1,055 facilities across America.

FACT: Cats that are not spayed or neutered are at high risk of developing cancer of the testes or uterus.

Please do your part to stop this tragedy! Have your pet spayed or neutered and help spread the word to others about this crisis!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:34 AM

We do have homes lined up for the kittens.Yes,I know it was a mistake to bring the males into my house but like I said...my cats HATE other cats period.Anyway,shortly after getting offline last night,I laid down with my sweetie and finally felt her babies move AND...her milk came in so we should be expecting to see some kittens in about 24 hours
Old January 12th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Missing My Bubba Bear

kitties are really nice and believe me no one is bullying you. we just feel really strongly about certain things.
You say the girls hate other cats but how,long do you think that last? about 2 days.
spay your cats. we're all crazy cat laides here and this is what we fight against.
You may have a good home and your next adopters may have a good home as well but what about the ones after that?
I hope you see youe errors and let go of your stubburn attitude and spay your kitties and eventually there babies.
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:43 AM
~Cat Servent~

I'm sure you think we are being bullies... well let me explain the reaction you get here.

You and your ignorance have just condemned some of the poor unwanted kitties we spend our lives trying to save.:sad:

So ya, you are not going to get an open arms welcome here. Especially with an 'I'm not willing to even listen to reason or opinion' attitude. It may have been an accident, but you are now in fact a BYB, and an uneducated and stubborn one at that.

Take some responsibility, and spay your girls. After all there is no guarantee they will never get out. (house fire/ emergency/ door left open by others... and when they are in heat, which whether they show signs or not, THEY ARE, they will attempt to get out) Just because you've been 'lucky' thus far does not mean you will continue to be. (and obviously your luck has run out, just like the 4-12 kittens and cats that will be PTS at shelters because of the homes your kittens will take!)

So excuse us for our frustration... we don't enjoy the inevitable suffering your little 'accident' is going to cause.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 12th, 2008, 10:45 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

CATS "ESCAPE" from your house through no fault of your own. You search frantically for them for ohhhhh, let's say.... 4 hours. Mmm, by that time they have been impregnated again. Been there, done that. But mine was a fixed male cat so I didn't worry about him sowing his oats. Just that I got him back in one piece.
Take a good looonnng look at my name. How do you think I choose this name?At this moment I am feeding 21 and I house 16 of those. How do you think I got them? Feral cats that at one point started out as house pets and were dropped off by our "farm" when the owners no longer wanted the trouble of dealing with them.......or once they were pregnant.
I spend approx. $100 a week on food.
I spend approx. $1000 a year on kitty litter.
I will spend approx. $5000 this year on vet bills (because I am being responsible and spaying and neuturing. I believe those numbers stated by sugarcatmom!)
Oh, and the most important part............ I spend approximately 2 hours a day cleaning up after my kitties, checking for fleas, tapeworms, etc. That's not monetary. That's just being responsible.

I will continue to provide for these babies for the next 15 to 20 years. And probably a whole lot more that will be dropped off when owners "get tired of them".
"We do have homes lined up for the kittens." That's what you said. So.....are you going to make all of the homes you have lined up sign a paper saying they will either spay or neuture or return their unwanted cat to you? Or are you going to "educate" these owners in "your" way of looking after cats? This is so very very frustrating to me and I am sure many others on Pets.ca who choose to be responsible.
Please please please spay your moms once they have finished raising their babies. :sad:

Oh and..... you don't want your babies to be uncomfortable in any way? What the H*** do you think giving birth is? Obviously you have no kids of your own or you would know it hurts! Try having your bones stretched to their utmost limit to let a child be born. Not to mention the fact that for the next 6 to 10 weeks they will be extremely uncomfortable and not getting much sleep because they will be looking after/feeding the kittens. Nope, no being uncomfortable for my babies!

Last edited by 14+kitties; January 12th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old January 12th, 2008, 02:19 PM

No...my cats will never get out because they are scared to death of the outside world.That's how they have always been.There is no chance of them ever getting pregnant again.I have a question for you all now...is it just me as well as the actual ignorant people on here who you all gang up on or do you also condemn the professional breeders as well? When I adopt out kittens or cats I always keep in contact with the families who have taken them. And yes...I do have kids of my own,I know what childbirth is like and I know accidents happen. I came on here for some advice not some "holier than thou" suggestions.
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Please encourage the people who take your kittens to get them fixed, that alone would save many lives and ensure them a happy non-pregnant, non-spraying future. At least do that.
I still think you are on getting your girls done. You didn't expect this to happen so it could happen again.

PS I'm not crazy about purebred breeding either. All you have to do is go on petfinder.com and see the thousands of purebreds sitting in shelters.

Last edited by badger; January 12th, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:26 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
No...my cats will never get out because they are scared to death of the outside world.That's how they have always been.There is no chance of them ever getting pregnant again.I have a question for you all now...is it just me as well as the actual ignorant people on here who you all gang up on or do you also condemn the professional breeders as well? When I adopt out kittens or cats I always keep in contact with the families who have taken them. And yes...I do have kids of my own,I know what childbirth is like and I know accidents happen. I came on here for some advice not some "holier than thou" suggestions.
I don't believe we are being "holier than thou". I think we are just dealing with reality. I know at least 3 of us, probably ALL of us, who have answered your post and pleaded with you to fix your females, are and have been dealing with the day to day results of people who feel the way you do.

When I adopt out kittens or cats I always keep in contact with the families who have taken them.

So..... you have done this before? Must have been with other cats who didn't need to be fixed. Mmmmmmmm

I will pray for your babies that the births goes fine, that the kittens are healthy, that you really do find good forever homes for them.
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Hmmm, your cats won't get out because they are scared of the outside world? Isn't that kind of like saying your cats won't get pregnant because they HATE other cats? That really worked out well for ya, didn't it?
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:33 PM

Sometimes it is better to take your cat to a vet, just in case, instead of wondering if a vet is really needed. I don't agree with you about letting your cats get pregnant and if you think this is not suffering, then what is?? I think you should go to your local S.P.C.A. and see how many unwanted cats get euthenized every day. Sorry that I am harsh. I am a cat rescuer.
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:34 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger
You didn't expect this to happen so it could happen again.
Exactly....and IT WILL.
Old January 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara View Post
Sometimes it is better to take your cat to a vet, just in case, instead of wondering if a vet is really needed. I don't agree with you about letting your cats get pregnant and if you think this is not suffering, then what is?? I think you should go to your local S.P.C.A. and see how many unwanted cats get euthenized every day. Sorry that I am harsh. I am a cat rescuer.
That's why I posted this website http://www.brightlion.com/InHope/InHope_en.aspx although I don't imagine the OP even looked at it.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:08 PM

I have done it before because my Sweetie's momma was pregnant when she was dumped off at my house.There is no possible way my girls will ever get pregnant again because we do not have any male cats anywhere near them...we did for that one week until we found homes for the boys.We would have taken them to the animal shelter but they were overloaded and could not guarantee they would be adopted.So you see,I know how many cats die every day because people are unable to find homes for them.My girls have been around other cats before (when I stayed with my dad,he has a male cat who has been neutered) We stayed with him for several months and my girls attacked him anytime he came near them,so I didn't think a short time at our house would be a problem for the 2 boys. For a long time my house was sort of like a half way house for unwanted cats,strays would wind up on our doorstep for years and I couldn't say no...some of them I took to the animal shelter in my area and some of them I found homes for on my own. I didn't purposely try to breed my girls,like I said AGAIN,my cats HATE other cats but I couldn't sit by and watch these 2 very sweet and affectionate males brave the cold outside alone and they didn't deserve to die in an animal shelter.I know that since they have been adopted they have been neutered (they had a MAJOR problem with spraying!).And just because I didn't think they would get along so well with the boys doesn't mean that it's possible for my girls to get outside...the only time they have ever been outside was when we moved and that was from the house to the truck and into another house...I had huge gashes all across my back,chest and arms from that experience...they won't even sit up in an open window...I guarantee my girls will never be outside
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:34 PM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
I have done it before because my Sweetie's momma was pregnant when she was dumped off at my house.There is no possible way my girls will ever get pregnant again because we do not have any male cats anywhere near them...we did for that one week until we found homes for the boys.We would have taken them to the animal shelter but they were overloaded and could not guarantee they would be adopted.So you see,I know how many cats die every day because people are unable to find homes for them.My girls have been around other cats before (when I stayed with my dad,he has a male cat who has been neutered) We stayed with him for several months and my girls attacked him anytime he came near them,so I didn't think a short time at our house would be a problem for the 2 boys. For a long time my house was sort of like a half way house for unwanted cats,strays would wind up on our doorstep for years and I couldn't say no...some of them I took to the animal shelter in my area and some of them I found homes for on my own. I didn't purposely try to breed my girls,like I said AGAIN,my cats HATE other cats but I couldn't sit by and watch these 2 very sweet and affectionate males brave the cold outside alone and they didn't deserve to die in an animal shelter.I know that since they have been adopted they have been neutered (they had a MAJOR problem with spraying!).And just because I didn't think they would get along so well with the boys doesn't mean that it's possible for my girls to get outside...the only time they have ever been outside was when we moved and that was from the house to the truck and into another house...I had huge gashes all across my back,chest and arms from that experience...they won't even sit up in an open window...I guarantee my girls will never be outside
So what if someday another stray ends up on your doorstep and you just can't say no because you don't want the cat to brave the cold outside alone and the shelters are overloaded so you can't guarantee it gets adopted, and the stray is an intact male, and even though your cats HATE other cats, one of them is in heat and allows the male to mate. Are you just going to post to another forum and tell your sad story again, or wise up and get your cats spayed
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Honestly,I think it's just very sad,sad for the many kittens who will be going to supposedly"good homes",in many cases after the cutsy kitten-hood is over,the cat ends up outdoors:sad:
There is no excuse for adding more kittens,not until every shelter is empty and IMO that goes for purebred breeders too.
The ONLY way to save lives is to spay/neuter.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:48 PM

No...it won't happen again. When the majority of strays landed on my doorstep it was at my dad's house and not where I'm living now.The last time was just a fluke and wouldn't have happen had I not worked at the kennel. My apartment is small and the 3 we have are plenty.But if by chance another stray ends up near my doorstep,it's animal control's problem...not mine anymore.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

BeckyBoo,don't get me wrong,you are doing a great think rescuing animals,but with that comes responsabilities,spay/neuter is just one.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM

But I'm done trying to defend myself,I'm wasting my "breath"...as you are too...

I will not be spaying my girls,they will never get pregnant again!

Call it irresponsible if you will but I really don't care what anyone has to say regarding this matter...that's not what I was looking for suggestions about but I got it all taken care of So thanks but NO thanks on any "advice" or really PRESSURE about me spaying my girls.
Old January 12th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
BeckyBoo,don't get me wrong,you are doing a great think rescuing animals,but with that comes responsabilities,spay/neuter is just one.
And I understand that but it will never be possible for my girls to get pregnant again...I'm not going to be naive in this matter again. It came as a total surprise to all of us.And I know..."You should have known that by bringing an unfixed male into your house something was bound to happen"...but really I didn't. I knew the boys wouldn't be in my house long enough for the girls to get attached...or really I THOUGHT. After 8 months they still hated my dad's cat.When we caught the cats getting frisky we separated them completely but didn't know the damage was already done. I am not at all against spaying and neutering pets but I am saying that it's not necessary for my girls because I am not going to put them in a situation like that again where it's possible for them to get pregnant.I learned once and that's all it takes.
Closed Thread