Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old July 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Red face My boys(cats)know where the Skunk lives

Well,today I could not find my 3 guys in the backyard,because they were behind the shed,fascinated by something
I checked very carefully,not knowing what to expect and saw the tail-end of a baby-skunk.
I used the hose to scare Vinnie,Chico and Rocky away and the little one crawled in to his nest.
I showed you pics a while back of the Skunk in my yard,so she lives in Baileys backyard,under a bunch of rubble,with her babies,luckily a fence between us.
I am not telling Baileys owners,they would more than likely put out poison,I just hope Bailey does not find them,but she seldom goes there,it's too much junk.
I am surprised the cats did not get sprayed,do baby-skunks not spray???
Here is the momma Skunk I showed before..
Attached Images

Old July 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

They are lucky that they didn't get spayed or into a fight.good thing you had the hose handy.
Old July 5th, 2008, 05:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ohoh!!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 5th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm thinking you need to do some research as to what a good de-skunkifier is.

I'm glad you didn't tell Bailey's owners. That's horrible they would do that. I hate hearing about people that do that to wildlife. After all, we are encroaching on their land.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Skunks are actually pretty easy-going...mostly. Having said that, yes, find a deskunking recipe and keep the ingredients handy, just in case.

I'm glad the boys managed to stay out of trouble this time! I imagine you must be, too

I just hope Bailey does! Her owners have kept her rabies shot up to date haven't they? Skunks can be latent rabies carriers... For that matter, are your boys updated on their rabies vaccinations?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 5th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Well lets just hope they stay away from there........

Apparently baby skunks do spray.Just can't remember the age when they start.
Old July 6th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Senior Contributor

My guys are all up to date with their Rabies shots and Bailey is too.
We are always outside with them and the cats cannot get to the skunks +the hose is a very good deterrent.
I am hoping she'll take her babies away once they are bigger
To be safe and ready for disaster,I'll try to find a stink-remedy for cats,deskunking cats is probably easier said than done
However,unless I find the momma Skunk dead on the road,I'll leave them be.
Many years ago a guy 2 houses up,put gasoline and started a fire under his shed to burn out a Skunk-family,his shed burned down along with his hedge,but the Skunks got away
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Remembering Lukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Many years ago a guy 2 houses up,put gasoline and started a fire under his shed to burn out a Skunk-family,his shed burned down along with his hedge,
That is funny. Glad the critters got away
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:49 AM
~Cat Servent~

Quote:
Many years ago a guy 2 houses up,put gasoline and started a fire under his shed to burn out a Skunk-family,his shed burned down along with his hedge,but the Skunks got away

Ya gotta love instant karma!!!

Hope the boys keep their distance and you don't need the deskunker!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

chico,the best de-skunker is water and vinegar.It's better then any other stuff.I first heard about this about 6 years ago.It was on a show.They had a pet expert on.He actually had about 4 boxes of the Massengil(douche)..I know I know,it sounds funny.....He said you can just use the regular vinegar with water.

Well last summer one of my sisters huskies got sprayed.Mandy stunk.So we put her in the kiddie pool,I got a bucket of water and poured the vinegar.We dumped it on her and worked it in.We did it twice.She smelled like vinegar for a couple of days.After that,you would never know she got sprayed...
Old July 6th, 2008, 10:46 AM
-

Quote:
good for him
Old July 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG, Chico that neighbor of yours sure got a lot more than he bargained with that fire. That's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I've read that tomato sauce works well as a deskunkifier.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:26 PM
-

I hope Bailey or your cats do not end up being sprayed by any of the skunks. My previous neighbour's dog got skunked and neither the tomato juice or vinegar & water solution worked for her.

This is the recipe that did....

Deskunker Recipe

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (unopened bottle, so it's fresh)
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1 teaspoon liquid soap

Wet the dog, and work the formula through their fur. Leave the mixture on the dog for four or five minutes and then rinse thoroughly. Throw out any leftover remedy.
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM
-

I've also heard that if you do have any tomato juice on hand, to use it to make yourself a Caesar after washing your pet.
Old July 7th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's everyone.
The man who tried to burn out the skunks,died a few years later from cancer..his son was the one who killed a mother Robin in MY front-yard with a pellet-gun(pellet-gun did not survive in my hands!),like father,like son But this happened about 20yrs ago..
I am really keeping vigil when we are outside,my cats are quiet obedient and stay away from the corner where the skunks are...however Vinnie is the sneaky one,still curious.
I could not even begin to contemplate cleaning skunk off those 3 cats
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

a baby skunk has the ability to spray between 6 and 8 weeks, but, they also have almost no fear, and it's fear that makes them spray, if you watch when you're near or the cats are near them, they stamp their little front feet, almost like the bongo players *L* thats their first warning scare tactic, then they'll turn and raise the tail but still not spray.....last and final warning is the spray. They can live quite comfortably with cats without every raising a tail, its only when threatened, ours walks around at night even when brina is out, she has no fear from her because brina won't give chase, a few barks, but thats about it and momma skunk just wanders away.
Old July 7th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Kitty pimp

the peorxide bakind soda sounds good

we used to use massengil besides its great for a guy to wlak into a store and buy a case !!! my ghetio shepard would get sparyed evry year
wasnt the brightest prch lite on the block
Old July 8th, 2008, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, a baby skunk typically can begin to spray increasingly larger amts of uhm "liquid" from one month of age (approximately) so I would be careful! How awful that a neighbour would put out poison - that's disgusting!