Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old September 28th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Agility Addict

Royal Canin Siamese to Solid Gold...

Can it be done ????

I have concluded that Minnow, my 3 year old Siamese is a fusspot!

For the past 8 months, I have been trying to switch her over to Solid Gold: Katz-n-Flocken lamb. I've been switching excruciatingly slowly and she still leaves the solid gold when she can...she'll eat some when she's starving and does eat a few accidental pieces here and there. But basically, she's eating about 1.5-1.75 cups of Royal Canin Siamese with 1/4 a cup of solid gold mixed in every day (she's a pig)!

Are there any premium cat foods that are known to be "extra-palatable" for finicky kitty's? (Minnow loves the cheaper brands of cat food but their ingredients are icky. Also, she'll only eat the gravy in cheap wet food and just "covers up" any wet food offerings, once the gravy is gone).

Is there anyway to get her eating better food? I did try Natural Balance but with similar results...for some reason she loves food with fillers !?
Old September 28th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried switching to a fish-based food? they seem to be tastier. Just as an example, Wellness has both a dry and a canned "fish" food:
Dry:
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/cats...yCatSup5Salmon

Canned:
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/cats...tChickeHerring
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Try to get samples first... There's no point in switching to a better food if the kitty won't eat it...
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Agility Addict

How embarassing, I can't believe I didn't think that maybe a fish food would be better! I am so dense. I did try her on a Wellness food but I don't think it was the salmon one! I will check for that one tomorrow - I don't think they offer samples but maybe they have a refund or exchange policy!

Thanks!

Was it Innove or Wellness (or both?) that I've read has such high quality protein that it can be too much for some pets (or did I just invent that train of though !?)??
Old September 28th, 2005, 11:13 PM

Innova... But if you bring that up, your thread might get hijacked...

Wellness is all good.
Old September 29th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Agility Addict

Alrighty - I won't go near that one! Thanks again! I am going to start mixing some Wellness today!
Old September 29th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Not-so-senior member

Cats are just fusspots, in general. Most of them anyways. My newest kitty was a very picky eater and after experimenting I found that anything with fish was summarily rejected by both kitties, so I stick to chicken- and turkey-based foods. It's just trial and error.

Anything your cat refuses can always be donated to a shelter. I brought a hodge podge of foods with me last week to the shelter where I volunteer and I was kinda like, "Uh, picky eater..."
Luckily/unfortunately, the kitties there are not very picky eaters--they'll take what they can get :sad:

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Agility Addict

I just wanted to let everyone know that Minnow is still party on Royal Canin. After trying almost every premium brand available, I was in Petsmart and saw that they started carrying Blue Buffalo - I decided to give it a try and she actually ate a kibble on its own!!!

GOOD MINCY!!!

It has lost its appeal somewhat and she isn't fond of the small, round kibbes but loves the star shaped kibbles! She has been eating half and half for the past month and I seems to be adjusting to the new kibble YAY!

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:07 PM
-

Yay Minnow.