Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:32 AM
Senior Contributor

UGH...greed in their eyes

Ok, this article really peeves me off. oil Execs are pissed off with Obama because of his no drilling for 6 months ban. God..do these people don't care. I say throw them in the water and let them suffer.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/c...entid=24654140
Old June 22nd, 2010, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I saw that this morning. It's infuriating. Of course, those in congress who oppose the moratorium just have to be getting "favors" from the oil companies.

I can't stand it. And then some imbecile goes and apologizes to BP for how they have been treated by the government. Excuse me? Look at what they've done to the environment!

It's sickening to think of how many animals have lost their lives and will continue to lose their lives because of this. And what about the marsh lands and the waters?

They really truly just don't care. Oh wait, they do care...about money!

Many people hated Jimmy Carter. They said he was too much of a country bumpkin. Maybe so, but he was an intelligent bumpkin and he knew that if we didn't start looking for alternate forms of energy we would be slaves to the oil companies.

Well, look what's happened. Carter had solar panels installed on the roof of the White House. I'll give you one guess who took them down when he was in office. I'll give you a hint, his last name starts with B, has a U and an S in the middle and ends with an H.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah...but obama isn't looking any better. (not that i liked Bush either lol) Geesh he hasn't done much yet, just make appreances after appreances, while his wife is to concerned doing magazine covers,tetc They seem like they want to put famous more then anything else. before he came into office he said he was opposed to this and that, then when he got into office, he totally changed his tune and did the opposite. one for instance..before he came into office he was going on and on about environmental issuses....and since he has been in office he has not done anything to help aid environmental issues.

And you are right...they only care for money.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

It's such a disgusting mess. I can't understand why there didn't have to be measures in place for such an accident - it's not the first one like this apparently. Saw a thing recently that said there was an almost identical accident 30 years ago in the same gulf. Same outcome too. The oil flowed for months until a relief well was ready. They tried all the same stuff to stop the flow with no success.

There was a video on you tube I think about two farmers who were cleaning up oil with straw. In the video they poured oil in a bucket and then put in the straw and the oil clung to the straw. When they removed the straw the water was almost clean. It was truly amazing. I can't help but think why not try it?? Why not pitch a ton of straw into the gulf and see what you can soak up?? Seems too low tech to be true though. But even if they tried putting it around the bird nesting areas maybe it would help some.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
There was a video on you tube I think about two farmers who were cleaning up oil with straw. In the video they poured oil in a bucket and then put in the straw and the oil clung to the straw. When they removed the straw the water was almost clean. It was truly amazing. I can't help but think why not try it?? Why not pitch a ton of straw into the gulf and see what you can soak up?? Seems too low tech to be true though. But even if they tried putting it around the bird nesting areas maybe it would help some.
There have been nations that have stepped up to help, they WANT to help...however the lovel US government just tells them to go away. There is this guy, i believe in the US or Canada, and he has a product that absorbs the oil. He was on the news, showing his product. All of the oil stuck to the porduct and when he lefted it out of the water, all of the oil was attached to the product..AND the water was now clear. Again...US government didn't want to use it.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Nice a US judge as over turned the 6 month oil drilling ban, that Obama had issued. Obama has stated that they would be appealing it.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Mickey, my angel

So BP has more clout in the U.S. than the White House?

Wonder if this could this be one of the reasons?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/201006...s/ynews_ts2771

The federal judge who overturned Barack Obama's offshore drilling moratorium reported owning stock in numerous companies involved in the offshore oil industry — including Transocean, which leased the Deepwater Horizon drilling rig to BP prior to its April 20 explosion in the Gulf of Mexico — according to 2008 financial disclosure reports.

U.S. District Judge Martin Feldman issued a preliminary injunction today barring the enforcement of the president's proposed six-month moratorium on deepwater drilling, arguing that the ban is too broad.

According to Feldman's 2008 financial disclosure form, posted online by Judicial Watch [pdf], the judge owned stock in Transocean, as well as five other companies that are either directly or indirectly involved in the offshore drilling business.

It's not surprising that Feldman, who is a judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana, has invested in the offshore drilling business — an Associated Press investigation found earlier this month that more than half the federal judges in the districts affected by the BP spill have financial ties to the oil and gas industry.

GREED
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 22nd, 2010, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

If that isn't a conflict of interest, then I don't know what is.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:43 AM
Senior Contributor

With millions of gallons still leaking into the Gulf, you would think anyone with a lick of common sense, would agree to an offshore drilling ban until other rigs are retro fitted with some form of precautionary equipment if at the very least to prevent another tragedy such as this.
Wendellan~ Feline~ 10(ish)
Theedee~Feline~10(ish)
"Da-Goob"~ APBT/Dogo x (5-6ish)

"My Pitbulls are better behaved than your kids!" (my favorite bumper sticker)
Old June 23rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypitgirls View Post
With millions of gallons still leaking into the Gulf, you would think anyone with a lick of common sense, would agree to an offshore drilling ban until other rigs are retro fitted with some form of precautionary equipment if at the very least to prevent another tragedy such as this.
They're politicians, they don't have any common sense.

Old June 23rd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Mickey, my angel

The latest on the moratoriam:

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/am...030678964.html
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:22 PM

I say throw them in the water, pour oil on them and then let them suffer.
Old June 24th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Bush would have been worse if he were president in this whole mess. His families money is from oil. At least Obama is trying to do something.
It's an incredible mess to be sure. You have a eco system at risk if you allow it, you have an economic disaster if you don't. It's a lose lose situation.

clm
Old June 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
At least Obama is trying to do something.
Really?? Not that I am a bush fan...not even close, but I am starting to think that Obama is a joke. He has not done much, since his year and a half in office. He says one thing and turns and does the other. Before he was in office, he vowed to take troops out, but after he is in office, he sends more in. He says he is concerned about environmental issues, but has done notthing. As for the oil spill..well it took him 2 months to even voice his concerns. He did nothing. Just sat back. I mean the only thing he has done is the new health care that no American seems to want in the first place.

I look at him and his family and i see a family that are more interested in well..being famous. He is always making appreances, yet doesn't stand at the forefront. His wife is more interested in doing magazine covers lol

He doesn't have the experience to be in office..in my opinion anyway.
Old June 25th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
Really?? Not that I am a bush fan...not even close, but I am starting to think that Obama is a joke. He has not done much, since his year and a half in office. He says one thing and turns and does the other. Before he was in office, he vowed to take troops out, but after he is in office, he sends more in. He says he is concerned about environmental issues, but has done notthing. As for the oil spill..well it took him 2 months to even voice his concerns. He did nothing. Just sat back. I mean the only thing he has done is the new health care that no American seems to want in the first place.

I look at him and his family and i see a family that are more interested in well..being famous. He is always making appreances, yet doesn't stand at the forefront. His wife is more interested in doing magazine covers lol

He doesn't have the experience to be in office..in my opinion anyway.
I had hoped and expected more from Obama. Maybe I just figured after the nimrod left office the next guy would be great. Sadly, not so much.