Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 9th, 2010, 09:40 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

washinton is officially the 6th state now where it is legal for gays to get married..only a few more to go..
Old March 9th, 2010, 01:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I think that's the District of Columbia, aslan, not the state. Was just watching some of the ceremonies on the news.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:52 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

leave it to canadian radio to screw it up,,they said washington was the sixth state.
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

DC would like to be a state... Last I heard they were asking for representation on par with the states in Congress

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM
-

sad to see we still haven't come far enough......

A 13-year-old student at the Jacobsen Middle School, Seth Walsh reportedly tried to take his own life earlier this month after being a victim of bullying by his peers for being gay. The bullying went unaddressed at the school.It has been reported that because of antigay bullying, Set Walsh from Tehachapi, California, died Tuesday afternoon after clinging on life support for nine days, since he attempted to commit suicide by hanging himself from a tree in his backyard.During the investigation, many students acknowledged that Seth Walsh faced bullying over a long period of time for being gay. In spite of an anti-bullying program mentioned by the school, school officials didn't interfere to stop mental torture of Seth Walsh.As the police investigated and interviewed the students regarding the death of Seth Walsh, they found that no one could be blamed for constituting this crime and there would be no charges in the death of Seth Walsh.The death of Seth Walsh is the third incident of suicide due to antigay bullying at school, followed by those of Asher Brown, 13, of Texas and Billy Lucas, 15, of Indiana.
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
sad to see we still haven't come far enough......

A 13-year-old student at the Jacobsen Middle School, Seth Walsh reportedly tried to take his own life earlier this month after being a victim of bullying by his peers for being gay. The bullying went unaddressed at the school.It has been reported that because of antigay bullying, Set Walsh from Tehachapi, California, died Tuesday afternoon after clinging on life support for nine days, since he attempted to commit suicide by hanging himself from a tree in his backyard.During the investigation, many students acknowledged that Seth Walsh faced bullying over a long period of time for being gay. In spite of an anti-bullying program mentioned by the school, school officials didn't interfere to stop mental torture of Seth Walsh.As the police investigated and interviewed the students regarding the death of Seth Walsh, they found that no one could be blamed for constituting this crime and there would be no charges in the death of Seth Walsh.The death of Seth Walsh is the third incident of suicide due to antigay bullying at school, followed by those of Asher Brown, 13, of Texas and Billy Lucas, 15, of Indiana.
How sad. . My heart goes out to Seth's family

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

It's sad to see these young kids being treated this way just because they are gay. I blame the teachers, the parents and the students. Mostly the students, because they were the ones closest to the bullying and very well someone should have taken a stand and spoken up.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
It's sad to see these young kids being treated this way just because they are gay. I blame the teachers, the parents and the students. Mostly the students, because they were the ones closest to the bullying and very well someone should have taken a stand and spoken up.
my heart goes out to all 3 boys parents,,and AG personally i blame the parents of the bullies for teaching their kids this crap in the first place,,i blame people coming in from other countries where it is a death sentence if you're found out to be gay and our gov't not doing anything to make them live by our laws,,i blame the schoolboard for not doing anything to stop it the list goes on.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Geek Club CEO

Every kid who's struggling right now needs to visit this YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/itgetsbetterproject

An amazing initiative started a week ago in response to a recent rash of gay youth suicides.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
my heart goes out to all 3 boys parents,,and AG personally i blame the parents of the bullies for teaching their kids this crap in the first place,,i blame people coming in from other countries where it is a death sentence if you're found out to be gay and our gov't not doing anything to make them live by our laws,,i blame the schoolboard for not doing anything to stop it the list goes on.
Even just the fact of not allowing gays to marry sends a message to people that being gay is wrong .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:07 PM
-

Bullying is an ugly fact of life, it is right up there with making fun of people...kids especially feel it deeply.... It's not just being homosexual...if you are small, wear glasses, clothes don't meet the criteria, the list goes on and on.

Ethel was teased at school for being petite, when she got glasses, she was called "Judge Judy", it hurt, it gave her a chip on her shoulder which she still carries. When she is in uniform she carries herself differently, it gives her confidence....in real life she likes to blend in and not be noticed. When she is in uniform, she can take anybody on.

The outcome for Seth was very sad , but homosexuality is not the only reason for one taking one's life.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
The outcome for Seth was very sad , but homosexuality is not the only reason for one taking one's life.
didn't say it was mf..unfortunately until the gov't and the schoolboards start doing something about bullying it will keep happening and kids will commit suicide or things like columbine will keep happening.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:10 PM
-

I never said you did Aslan.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I agree, the parents should be more aware, but sadly many parents think their kids are innocent little babes and lord help the person who accuses their kid of being a bully.

The school board should have done something, but again, there sometimes isn't much they can do for fear of the parents complaining about their kid being singled out as a bully.

Our society is failing the children, animals and each other.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

You are right, there was something more than just the bullying, but I wonder how much it contributed to it.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Every kid who's struggling right now needs to visit this YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/itgetsbetterproject

An amazing initiative started a week ago in response to a recent rash of gay youth suicides.
that is a fabulous idea bendy,
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:12 PM
-

Quote:
I never said you did Aslan.
lol,,the sad part of the bullying of some is they may outgrow it,,,wear contacts,lose weight,,etc,,can't really lose being gay.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
that is a fabulous idea bendy,
over 500,000 hits in a week...over 7,000 subscribers. Dozens of videos. I even submitted one
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:14 PM
-

Quote:
lol,,the sad part of the bullying of some is they may outgrow it,,,wear contacts,lose weight,,etc,,can't really lose being gay.
There you make a point.
Old September 30th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I wonder if there isn't enough supervision on the school grounds at lunch after school and during class change. I remember back in my day (a year or two ago ), the Vice Principal and some teachers would just stand in the hallway during class change or outside during lunch break or after/before school.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 30th, 2010, 08:03 PM

unfortunately you never outgrow the hurt of being bullied. my younger one who will be 21 still remembers how she felt during elementary school. it still bothers her today and finds it hard to fit in with kids her age because of it.
her teachers did know about the bullying because i was a parent who spoke out. more than once i informed the teacher because they went under the radar. today the bullying goes on over the internet
Old October 1st, 2010, 10:28 AM
-

I read about it on FB yesterday , 4 teens in a month I also saw the FB tribute page for the 18 yr old. I'm glad that the 2 main abusers in this case have accusations against them. I can't believe this is still going on today. really , this is unacceptable

I just watched the end of Ellen's show , she made a small video about it , very touching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
over 500,000 hits in a week...over 7,000 subscribers. Dozens of videos. I even submitted one
as I told you Bendy , I saw it , and I was so proud of you ! I sure hope this will help lots of kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I wonder if there isn't enough supervision on the school grounds at lunch after school and during class change. I remember back in my day (a year or two ago ), the Vice Principal and some teachers would just stand in the hallway during class change or outside during lunch break or after/before school.
Coming from and growing up in a kind of "poor" town , I can't explain it but there was absolutely no bullying at our high school. Even today , we often talk about it , how different groups would be friend with other different groups , the preppies , the rockers , the jocks etc everyone was getting along ... I wish all schools could be like the one I went to.
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:11 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

This is terribly sad stuff and it's such a complex problem with no easy solution in sight. There's just SO many parents that think/believe being gay is wrong and so they teach it to their kids....sometimes inadvertently and sometimes deliberately. It IS getting better in some places, but sadly not everywhere.

I just hate hearing stuff like this.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:15 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Tragic

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 1st, 2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I can recall my beautiful daughter being a target at one time...why because I brought her up to not be a sheep and follow the pack. As a result she was bullied. I contacted the teacher, followed by the principle, followed by the parents....and none cared. I told my daugher to do whatever she needed to to defend herself...never mind what I always taught her..use your fists. As sad as it is, she prevailed but not in the way I would have hoped.

No one is listening. I put the emphasis on the parents 100%. I understand that they cannot be there 24/7 but they should keep eyes and ears open and REPRIMAND if something that he/she did that is not acceptable.
Old October 1st, 2010, 12:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What's that old saying "The world is going to Hell in a handbasket".
If parents don't start taking back some of the responsibility of raising their children the way it was done "back in the day" and stop putting that responsibility on the kids' teachers nothing will change. We have kids beating up kids and putting it on the bloody internet for Pete Sakes! They videotape themselves breaking into houses, cars, etc. When is it going to end? Give the kid a smack on the butt when they are small and have done something wrong. Set rules, boundaries, groundings. Stop worrying about getting them the newest designer gadgets, clothing, cellphones, whatever. Kids survive without those things. I did. We all did. TALK to your children!!! TALK!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Geek Club CEO

Scary thing: adults can be equally good at bullying as children:

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...EFb3qi_dgHzrNQ
Old October 1st, 2010, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
What's that old saying "The world is going to Hell in a handbasket".
If parents don't start taking back some of the responsibility of raising their children the way it was done "back in the day" and stop putting that responsibility on the kids' teachers nothing will change. We have kids beating up kids and putting it on the bloody internet for Pete Sakes! They videotape themselves breaking into houses, cars, etc. When is it going to end? Give the kid a smack on the butt when they are small and have done something wrong. Set rules, boundaries, groundings. Stop worrying about getting them the newest designer gadgets, clothing, cellphones, whatever. Kids survive without those things. I did. We all did. TALK to your children!!! TALK!
I agree 100%.
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM

parents dont have backbones today they are bullied by their kids. i was talking to a neughbor who is a psychotherapist and deals with this when he tells a parent that if they are afraid the kid will hurt them then call the cops to have the kid removed they wont. if he says show the kids the door they wont they feel they dont have the power. and he was also saying that at younger ages kids are acting out sex acts they see on the internet.
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:53 PM

I really have an opinion on this topic, not necessarily about insulting gays but generally insulting people about their sexual preference, race, size etc. I wish parents were more ASSERTIVE and get more involved in their childrens' pain at school and play and put these tormentors in their place by going to their school and making a complaint! Too many people get away with this type of cruelty!! I feel that life is too short for bickering and I try to stay diplomatic but I notice that a lot of people have BIG MOUTHS. BIG MOUTH, SMALL BRAIN, just my opinion!!!