Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 7th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Cats taking Claratin

Hi members!

So in this thread I wrote how our cat Baci was taking reactine (Cetirizine). It worked really well for a while to combat breathing issues due to chronic rhinitis but now it's losing its effectiveness.

I have been reading on the web how some people are using Claritin (Loratadine) in cats to combat allergic reactions and I was curious if any members have used it for their cats or dogs?

many thx for any info or opinions
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:20 PM

We still have Ozzie on Zyrtec/Cetirizine, my husband thinks it helps a little, but I don't see it. I'm giving him it every other day, but he's still sneezing on everyone and everything. If you have any luck with the Claritin, let me know. Thanks
Old December 8th, 2014, 05:50 AM

Hi linda...seems we are in the same boat....where the drugs work for a short while and then become ineffective.

I'll try claritin in the next day or so and let you know. thx

it SUCKS that human drugs like Sudafed are poison to cats....because that's what he needs to treat what he has.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 10th, 2014, 11:25 PM

Just wondering, Marko, is Bacis allergies/congestion worse at a certain time of the year? Ozzies have been really bad the past two months, he's constantly sneezing and blowing off everywhere. You feel so sorry for them but nothing seems to do the trick.
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:55 PM

Hi Marko & Lindapalm:

I just stumbled onto this web site and thought that some of the info might be of interest to check out.

It's in regards to antihistamines for cats.

http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-cats/
Old December 19th, 2014, 09:12 PM

I was surprised to see you could, and maybe should, give your cat Zyrtec twice a day instead of once. Doing it only once a day didn't help, I'm going to question my vet on two times daily. If that doesn't help, I'll look into the other meds, Ozzie is really bad now. Thank You.
Old December 20th, 2014, 01:41 PM

My vet also said 5mg max a day for reactine...but I have seen a few vets online saying 10 mg a day...
Baci goes through phases as well and occasionally I have given him 10 mg a day...

Thx for the link Reg!
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 23rd, 2015, 10:12 PM

Marko, I'm just wondering how Baci is doing. Ozzie is so congested and miserable, he's the worst he's ever been. We took him back to the vet today. He gave him a steroid shot and Azithromycin, hoping it will help, even just a little.
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:56 PM

Please let me know if either help and if u know the name of that steroid?

Baci is pretty congested and going through a bad phase now as well. Reactine is helping a bit as is Doxycycline but it's just a helper - not a cure.

lindapalm
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 24th, 2015, 08:56 PM

The vet told me to try the Azithromycin, and after a couple of weeks if theres no improvement he'll try something else. He told me again that its an on going thing that he'll always have, and its just a question of finding some relief for him. I'venerver tried Doxycycline, is that an antibiotic?
Old February 24th, 2015, 09:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Doxycycline is an antibiotic, lindapalm, but it also has some anti-inflammatory properties, which can also help breathing function. I hope Ozzie gets some relief! Baci, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 25th, 2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
The vet told me to try the Azithromycin, and after a couple of weeks if theres no improvement he'll try something else. He told me again that its an on going thing that he'll always have, and its just a question of finding some relief for him. I'venerver tried Doxycycline, is that an antibiotic?
Yes we have been through 5-6 antibiotics for this thing,,,,

doxy is helping baci....but not twiggy who also gets this congestion rhinitis thing from time to time. I don't think we have tried Azithromycin but I can't be sure...will ask our vet abput it today.

Glad we can trade cat-rhinitis war stories
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:22 PM

How well do your kitties take liquid meds? Giving them to Ozzie is unbelievable, I hold the back of him down, try to squirt it down him while he thrashes his head and sends the meds flying. To make it worse, he has an ear infection so there's ear cleaning and meds to put in ears. Going to be a long ten days, every time I talk or move he runs in the basement,.
Old February 28th, 2015, 08:38 AM

Baci will not take liquid meds - but pills can be crushed and hidden in his soft food no problem. Twiggy is only 6 pounds with no teeth so it's no issue to give her meds...

Just checked Azithromycin was one of the ones that did not work for Baci. Doxycycline is the best antibiotic we have tried for this for baci.
Twiggy get similar congestion problems but less severe and the antibiotic baytril has helped her some.

Reactine, not clartin seems to work better for both our cats.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old February 28th, 2015, 01:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Just curious, Marko--is the rhinitis worse in one season or another? Does humidity seem to affect it?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 1st, 2015, 09:48 AM

It's a virus so it's not seasonal.... don't really know where they caught it from..
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 1st, 2015, 04:38 PM

Then next time Ozzie has to get liquid meds for at least a week I am going to leave him at the vets and let them do it. He's been on these for a week, and then I have to do it every third day. Trying to medicate him plus ear drops is unbelievable, he's an old cat but faster than this old lady. I end up chasing him around the house, with him peeing everywhere, when I finally catch him he shakes his head so hard he spits it out. He's to the point now that he hides in unknown places and when found he howls like a feral cat. Its hard to tell if the meds are working because we can't get close enough to him to tell. Never again with the liquid meds, at least with pills I have SOME luck with pill pockets.
Old March 10th, 2015, 07:40 PM

Natural options

My cat has severe allergies and I use a natural product called Quercetin. Its a natural antihistamine. I also just ordered a product online called Only Natural Pet Immune Balance. It has really good reviews, so I'm excited to receive it and see how it works on my kitty.
Old March 10th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Let us know how the new product you ordered works, I'm always looking for help with my cat.