Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
ahhh meg4050
:sad: does this mean the offer has been withdrawn? That liver was really, really tempting!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbons View Post
Okay- so the real question is: what do all you people DO for a living, and how do you find these stellar jobs?

I work in Tech Support for an ISP (I'd say who, but this could end badly for me eventually) I work 4-12 one month, 8-4 the next month (usually), with variable days off. My managers have flat out told me they don't care about what I have to say, and I can never get promoted, get a raise, or switch departments.

I have a BA in philosophy and I hate computers I'm trying to be philosophical about it
Okay, people, HERE'S why I started this thread... none of this I heart my work stuff... I want to know if there's anyone out there that is in the same miserable boat as me, while trying to make the best of it. Gibbons.... thank you!

Me, I have diplomas in both print and photojournalism, and 17 grand left on my student loan. The amount I pay monthly covers exactly nine dollars more than the interest. I'm answering phones, becuase the only photo jobs I can get are ridiculously underpaid for back breaking labour...and it's basically cookie cutter photography.

I'm wasting away!!! :
Old March 12th, 2008, 08:59 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
:sad: does this mean the offer has been withdrawn? That liver was really, really tempting!
meg , but Hazel has 8 english setters

danaekitty , is there another job you could get at the same place ?
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Danaekitty, I'll give you half of my $25/week, plus room and board, if you wanna come down and be hazel's helper! Then I wouldn't have to try to move 8 dogs to Frenchy's!

But, if you wanna talk about overqualified, I have a BS in Zoology and History, graduate work in Conservation Biology and Computer Science, with some Accounting on the side... And I'm working at a $25/week job with excellent benefits, but totally unrelated to anything I'm trained in except possibly Zoology...

I've worked as a computer operator, a records clerk, a deli clerk, and a dog mama.

I guess it just shows to go you that you never know where Life is going to lead you.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
LP, that means room and board for two and, of course, more fuzzbutts. meg, can you cook?
I sure can! As long as you're ok with the 5 meals I know how to make.. and cupcakes!
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Frenchy;562397] meg , but Hazel has 8 english setters

QUOTE]

BUT..but! I have cupcakes! And you said you wanted a Springer.. Barkley can come tooo!
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Doggie Wench

Lukka'sma, you have my dream job. When I grow up, I wanna be just like you .

I studied Social Work and had the wonderful opportunity to work in the field for several years before the Sandman came to be. While I was on maternity leave, my dad had the wonderful idea of inviting me to get out of the house a few days a week to give him a hand for a few months .

Well, the few months turned into twelve years. I manage a family-owned deli where I'm 'boss' to the employees yet 'bossed' by my very own father . When he gets too 'bossy,' I remind him who signs the checks .

I love my job when I don't have to deal with other family members so I've carefully chosen a schedule where our hours very seldom overlap. I work approx. 25 hours at the store and spend another 10 or so doing paperwork from home. I must admit, I do have high expectations of our employees (my older son being one of them...and no, he doesn't get special treatment); I don't tolerate laziness, rudeness, and expect everyone to be squeaky clean. On the other hand, I do bend over backwards when making schedules to accomodate the hours employees prefer to work and base salaries on performance, not experience (lots of new employees don't understand this concept at all ).

For the most part, I adore our customers and love meeting new people all the time. And if, on the occasion, we get a "difficult" customer, it's a rule that I serve them when I'm at work. I know this may sound odd but, I challenge myself to get at least one smile out of them before they leave .

The only thing that I absolutely hate and sends me into a rage about working there though, is people who steal . Other than that, and the fact that it's a very physically demanding job, I rather like it. It feels more like a hobby than a job .
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Preplanning makes success

So I started looking at different trade stuff available at the local college. Their tuition is $2053 per TERM!!!

I currently owe 14,958 on my student loan, and haven't paid it in 6 months because I was unemployed for a bit and got interest relief. I also accumulated some debt load from being unemployed & getting married. At the rate I'm going, I MAY be unemployed again... My job makes me cranky

Daena (sorry, I forget how to spell it and am too lazy to go look), your job sounds EXACTLY like my sisters job - down to the being stuck on phones, updating all their website and data information, doing filing, working overtime- all because she's bored to tears on the phone and needs something to do. No one recognizes any of her effort, though. She's job hunting, too!

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Doggie Wench

Danaekitty, if it's any comfort to you, I finished paying off my student loans 2 years ago when I was 35 .

If you're really miserable where you work, sometimes taking on a job that pays a bit less but offers much more satisfaction is worth it until something better comes along.
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbons View Post
Okay- so the real question is: what do all you people DO for a living, and how do you find these stellar jobs?

I work in Tech Support for an ISP (I'd say who, but this could end badly for me eventually) I work 4-12 one month, 8-4 the next month (usually), with variable days off. My managers have flat out told me they don't care about what I have to say, and I can never get promoted, get a raise, or switch departments.

I have a BA in philosophy and I hate computers I'm trying to be philosophical about it
Tech support and helpdesk can be hard on a person. You're always dealing with less than happy people with problems. I too have done the support thing in my company, I was in IT actually for almost 18 years. Hardware support for an AS/400 user base and telecom technical support. I did enjoy it, but it always involved working a lot of overtime, weekends, holidays and late nights. A lot of the maintenance stuff had to be done when most of the users were not in. A lot of the network support people turned over at a fairly high rate. Moved on to other jobs once the support area lost it's appeal and different fields in the IT areas began to interest them.
I hope you either find happiness at your current place of employment, or maybe research an area that interests you and look for another position elsewhere. There's nothing worse than dreading going to work everyday.

Cindy
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Doggie Wench

Meg, my family would appreciate 5 suppers a week. It's 4 more than what I cook now . I hate cooking .
Old March 12th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I am a jeweller. I love my job. I come and go as I please and if I need time off to be home with the dogs, I can do it.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:21 AM

LP - I would love to work in a family business, I love my fam! It's too bad you have to work around yours... do you at least get together for Xmas or something?

There are currently no other positions available in my place of work, but I was promised raises and promotions when I was hired, and people get promoted to new positions all the time within the company, so I don't want to lose all hope. The problem is that my DIRECT boss will not give me any actual responsibility, so when it's raise/promo time, I don't even register on HIS boss's radar.

The good thing about this job is that I have a great desk and I'm surrounded by windows. Also, when I have actual photography work to do for my side business, I can work on it on my work computer....as long as I minimize it quick enough!!!
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

danaekitty, if it makes you feel any better of the 5 kids in my family, 3 of us have BFA's with concentrations in photography and not one has a job as a photographer.

I'm really not sure why the youngest one thought it was a good idea, she should have seen what the rest of us ended up doing.....
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:34 AM

Oh my! That kind of strikes fear...lol
I better show this to Mike...he thinks I will eventually be so successful as a photog that he can be a stay-at-home dad.
Ha! If anyone gets to be the SAH, it's ME, dammit! Nice to have his blind support though.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, don't loose all hope, I could also give you a ton of examples of friends and family working as photographers or in the photography/art world, so it's obviously totally possible, just hard.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post
The good thing about this job is that I have a great desk and I'm surrounded by windows. Also, when I have actual photography work to do for my side business, I can work on it on my work computer....as long as I minimize it quick enough!!!
See? The glass is half full .

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post
... do you at least get together for Xmas or something?
I love working in a family business, just not with family . And no , we don't, but that's by choice. I have an aversion to whining and negativity .

I'll try not to go all philosophical on you. I just want to say that sometimes when things seem to be out of our control...all we have to do is take control. It's all about ownership and responsibility for our own lives. I just seem to see things differently I guess . If I'm miserable, it's the direct result of my actions, or inactions, depending on the situation.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I'll try not to go all philosophical on you. I just want to say that sometimes when things seem to be out of our control...all we have to do is take control. It's all about ownership and responsibility for our own lives. I just seem to see things differently I guess . If I'm miserable, it's the direct result of my actions, or inactions, depending on the situation.
Ah, LP is a wise one. Next time I feel crummy I'm tracking you down to kick my butt
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Doggie Wench

I'll gladly kick your butt in exchange for a visit with Basil and Streets. OH, that's something else I adore about my job, getting to see Pitgrrl's scrumptious puppies .
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I'm a facilties manager, so like an office manager but on a way larger scope...any aspect you can think of that you need to run a large office, I manage it...whether its ordering office supplies or calling in over flowing toilets or space planning, parking, security, coffee and kitchen service, office equipment....we have 3 floors and just over 100 people.

BUT...I have a teaching degree, yep, I spent years in school and had a huge 9.5 year long student loan, which I just paid off last year...I have never taught a day in my life...we first moved here, and I was running a few day cares making crap money, and then I got in to the oil and gas industry and never looked back...can't afford too...you can't compare salaries in Calgary to anywhere else in Canada...it's rediculous...fast food places pay $12 a hour...and $18 at grocery stores...basic admin salaries start at 32K/year without experience.

My DH has a forestry degree, and he works with steel...never used his education a day in his life either....

I think thats what happened when 18 year olds make career descions before living in the real world....lookign back, I should have taken business...not teaching....all I knew back then is that I liked kids...

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
...whether its ordering office supplies or calling in over flowing toilets or space planning, parking, security, coffee and kitchen service, office equipment.....
Not too different from running a household except it's renumerated . Where can I apply?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
I think thats what happened when 18 year olds make career descions before living in the real world....lookign back, I should have taken business...not teaching....all I knew back then is that I liked kids...
And that's why we finally decided to support our older son's decision when he told us he'd like to take a year or two off and experience the workforce after graduating highschool this Spring. I honestly don't think it would be fair to expect him to really know what he wants to do for the rest of his life at 18 until he gains some life experiences .
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Preplanning makes success

My older sister and my husband got about 1/3 of the way through a univ. degree, and then took a year off... which slowly extended from there. My sister feels like an absolute failure for not finishing her univ. degree, except even she admits that she doesn't want to do anything with her degree anyway, and would change majors except she's not sure what field exactly to go into anyway- she's looking into trades now, actually.

I honestly don't know why I fell for the pressure to go to univ right after I graduated from HS. If I'd thought about it, I would know that I like working with my hands and getting dirty and would have been much better off in trades - I just needed to take a year or so to realize that. I would go now, but it's just not feasible - my debt load is ALMOST as high as my income. Sort of.

That's the real problem with taking a lower-paying job that you like- first is HOW do you get that job & know you'll like it, second is how do you make ends meet?

This career thing is not for sissies!

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:11 AM

No Kidding! Being a grown up is hard.