Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old March 28th, 2011, 02:00 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Why do I have this honour?

My idiotic tenant has bred his dog again! Well, should I say the deeds been done, pups are here and look like they are almost ready to go.
For those of you who don't know - we have a small cottage we rent out to this guy that's been there for over 10 years. He has had a succession of GSDs. He had his old guy put down last year at 13 years (I think). This place is not large. It's one bedroom and a combo living/dining. He currently has two cats and two GSDs - mother and son. He bred the mom last year just before putting his older one down and kept one of the male pups. She had 10 last time. I believe two died at birth. He had some trouble getting homes for the last ones. Sure didn't veto anyone who showed up. If they had the money they went home with a pup.
This time we once again did not know she had been bred. Really, knowing him I would not put it past him to have let her and the son together. The son isn't around right now. Not sure if that's permanent or if he has him out to stud. We aren't exactly on speaking terms with this man for this and other reasons. We have seen 4 puppies outside with the mom. Not sure if that's because that's all she's had or if it's because he's already gotten rid of some of them.
So - my conundrum - we can't boot him because "unless we are going to rent the place to one of our children or tear it down we have no grounds to evict." He is breeding this dog knowing that her father, the one he had put down last year, had hip dysplasia and arthritis. Now - is it any wonder I have such a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to some breeders.
Not even sure if I'm posting for advise or just to get it off my chest. I am soooo sick of this guy!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't blame you for being ticked, I know if a neighbour complains to the landlord are you not allowed then to evict him? Is there any way you can "upgrade" a rental lease stating only pups under 6 months or altered adults dogs can live there?
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Can you not evict if it is for sale? Having to do reno's prior to the sale?
Not saying you would have to list the place but if you could get him out, appear to be doing reno's putting a for sale sign up (by owner) and then taking it down re renting?
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:17 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
I don't blame you for being ticked, I know if a neighbour complains to the landlord are you not allowed then to evict him? Is there any way you can "upgrade" a rental lease stating only pups under 6 months or altered adults dogs can live there?
We ARE the neighbours! It's month to month. No cause for eviction is what we've been told when we phoned L&TBoard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Can you not evict if it is for sale? Having to do reno's prior to the sale?
Not saying you would have to list the place but if you could get him out, appear to be doing reno's putting a for sale sign up (by owner) and then taking it down re renting?
It can't go up for sale. It's part and parcel of our land. We ain't selling! This place will not be worth renoing by the time he's done with it. He has wrecked just about everything in it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

and can that not be a reason?? destroying property? I've never owned a rental but I'm just tossing out suggestions, are you allowed in to inspect the property from time to time?
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sue him for damages Maybe he'd just move as a settlement

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Well interesting suggestions from everyone..but that does not address the issue that is really bugging you is it 14+K? It's the fact that he is breeding and there is yet another batch of cute puppies to go who knows where.

Infact, from what I know of you 14+K...the property is not the issue..it's the fact that the guy is a selfish person who is adding to an already over population of animals.

In order to get him off your property and do his breeding somewhere else..call the rental board and see what steps you need to make to build your case...outside of the breeding issue. This may be the only way to get him off your property..but he will breed in another location regardless.

Sorry 14+K
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

14+K... report him anonymously to CRA re: undeclared business, or call the public health etc.?
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

http://torontolawyersattorneys.com/t...nt-in-ontario/

about 2/3rds down the page it talks about undue damage and "illegal" acts, business etc. but I suppose you've already looked into all this page. there is something also at the very bottom that talks about renovations and being able to evict the tenant in order to do them.
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Is there a dog bylaw in your area? Number allowed ect? With out a kennel licence?
Regardless if he has your house to breed in or not he will continue to do so, however it is harder and harder for people with pets to find housing in this province.
I'd call CRA especially now that there are puppies there that he is selling. IF he was to say he wasn't selling them then he would have too many dogs for most cities bylaws.

Its sad that tennants have more rights than landlords now a days. If I were you I would put in the rent increse application for this year, and again next if you can't get him out, keep putting it up the 4% you can ( or what ever it is now) and see if you can sort of run him out like that.
What a terrible situation to be in
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'd call CRA especially now
Yep - that is what I said.
Old March 28th, 2011, 03:58 PM

The problem with forcing him out is that he is not likely going to stop breeding. Like most back yard breeders - he thinks he's got a cash cow, and the potential extra costs of moving or increase in rent will probably just drive him to pump out more litters.

14+ - maybe offer him an incentive. Rent rebate in exchange for his bitch being spayed?
Old March 28th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I know this is not the only problem you are having with this man and I can really feel your frustration
His GSD's are beautiful and the fact he is breeding the female,really gets to me and more than likely her son will be the stud.
I don't think that guy cares one way or the other how the pups turn out,many probably going to other byb's.
I know he has Siamese cats,do you think he's breeding them too?
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

That really sucks. You would think that if he is or has pretty much destroyed the cottage you should have some legal leg to stand on to get him out. After all it is YOUR property. Good luck and I hope you find a solution!
Old March 28th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

If you can prove he's using your rental property for commercial purposes (breeding dogs) and the lease specifies the property was not for that purpose but solely as a place to reside then you might have a case. How many GSD's are in shelters right now and this goof is adding more to the population.
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Tell him you are turning it into a cat house......Ho's moving in..lol

I am sorry you are stuck with a fool for a tenant. They can be a real PITA at times.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
We ARE the neighbours! It's month to month. No cause for eviction is what we've been told when we phoned L&TBoard.

It can't go up for sale. It's part and parcel of our land. We ain't selling! This place will not be worth renoing by the time he's done with it. He has wrecked just about everything in it.
14+ can't u send him a bill for the things he has wrecked giving him a certain period of time to pay his bill and if he doesn't then evict him?

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 28th, 2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
14+ can't u send him a bill for the things he has wrecked giving him a certain period of time to pay his bill and if he doesn't then evict him?
I dont believe you can do that, but i believe you can evict if you need the property for personal use, so can you not make it seem as though you are using it again? and then rent it out again eventually (6 months down the road...)

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:09 PM
You can call me DOG!

Regulations now a days are really not in favour of a landlord or an employer at that.

I would take all suggestions above and concur with most. Speak with the Canada Revenue Agency as far as his line of income. If anything, it could potentially "red flag" him.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I'm a softy

2 ideas... One could you give him 3 months notice that you are having family move in, or are renovating your home and need to live in it then 'change your mind' in 4 months?

Also I was given 3 months notice for the house I was renting because they were tearing it down. I had to go to residential tenancies and had several escalated hearings as it was during the school year and to get my pet damage deposit back because he was not legally allowed to ask for it. During the hearing he said that they weren't tearing it down anymore, they changed his mind ( this was all because of personal conflict and I knew it) anyway I had another place lined up so it was ok, but he was allowed to follow through and allowed to change his mind.. So maybe that could work for you?

It doesn't solve the breeding issue but at least you don't have to see it and provide refuge for this behavior? Good luck that would be frustrating!!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:19 AM
~Cat Servent~

.....cause you're too nice to fight dirty....

man what a boob! that guy has got to go!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:47 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
and can that not be a reason?? destroying property? I've never owned a rental but I'm just tossing out suggestions, are you allowed in to inspect the property from time to time?
No, unfortunately not. You have to go through small claims court. Believe me, that is mostly a useless cause. I had a home I rented out when I moved down here. My last renters started (didn't get a chance to finish) a grow op; had a habit of throwing knives into walls, if the knives didn't work their fists did; completely wrecked a fridge that was only a year old when I left it there, as in ripped the handle right off of it; didn't pay rent for the last 5 months they were there; left behind 5 truckloads of garbage, clothing, etc; left behind incriminating evidence about their drug use and trafficking of said drugs; the list goes on........ I went to small claims. They of course didn't show. I am still trying to track them down to get them to pay damages. I figure it's a loss cause.
Yes, we are allowed to inspect - with 24 hours notice. Lots of time for him to "clean up" as much as he can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
14+K... report him anonymously to CRA re: undeclared business, or call the public health etc.?
That's an idea.

Quote:
Is there a dog bylaw in your area? Number allowed ect? With out a kennel licence?
Regardless if he has your house to breed in or not he will continue to do so, however it is harder and harder for people with pets to find housing in this province.
I'd call CRA especially now that there are puppies there that he is selling. IF he was to say he wasn't selling them then he would have too many dogs for most cities bylaws.

Its sad that tennants have more rights than landlords now a days. If I were you I would put in the rent increse application for this year, and again next if you can't get him out, keep putting it up the 4% you can ( or what ever it is now) and see if you can sort of run him out like that.
What a terrible situation to be in
Yes, there is a dog limit. Not enforced. He lives on disability - of course. The rent increase is so negligible as to be laughable. It would amount to a whole $2.67 or something. His rent is next to nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
If you can prove he's using your rental property for commercial purposes (breeding dogs) and the lease specifies the property was not for that purpose but solely as a place to reside then you might have a case. How many GSD's are in shelters right now and this goof is adding more to the population.
I know t.pettet. That's the sad part. It makes me so heartsick.

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:50 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
.....cause you're too nice to fight dirty....

man what a boob! that guy has got to go!
Thanks mf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lUvMyLaB<3 View Post
2 ideas... One could you give him 3 months notice that you are having family move in, or are renovating your home and need to live in it then 'change your mind' in 4 months?

Also I was given 3 months notice for the house I was renting because they were tearing it down. I had to go to residential tenancies and had several escalated hearings as it was during the school year and to get my pet damage deposit back because he was not legally allowed to ask for it. During the hearing he said that they weren't tearing it down anymore, they changed his mind ( this was all because of personal conflict and I knew it) anyway I had another place lined up so it was ok, but he was allowed to follow through and allowed to change his mind.. So maybe that could work for you?

It doesn't solve the breeding issue but at least you don't have to see it and provide refuge for this behavior? Good luck that would be frustrating!!
We are trying to convince my youngest stepson he really does want to move in! He's not buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Tell him you are turning it into a cat house......Ho's moving in..lol

I am sorry you are stuck with a fool for a tenant. They can be a real PITA at times.
Thanks for the laugh Shay!

Old March 29th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I'll find out how a friend of mine was actually evicted for nothing, they went to court and all but the landlord actually won somehow. She kept her place impecable, she was a quiet tennant who lived there for 5 years, never put so much as a pin hole in the walls. He couldnt stand that she was a lesbian (of all reasons) and got her out with all sorts of BS.
I'll ask her exactly what he said or did in court for ya.
*she too is on disability*
Old March 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I know this is not the only problem you are having with this man and I can really feel your frustration
His GSD's are beautiful and the fact he is breeding the female,really gets to me and more than likely her son will be the stud.
I don't think that guy cares one way or the other how the pups turn out,many probably going to other byb's.
I know he has Siamese cats,do you think he's breeding them too?
chico. No, it's not.
It's money so he can support his other habit, right? He has one old Siamese. I actually haven't seen him the last few months. Maybe he passed. He would normally be down in the greenhouse scarfing down the food I leave out for strays. He isn't breeding them thank God!.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Well interesting suggestions from everyone..but that does not address the issue that is really bugging you is it 14+K? It's the fact that he is breeding and there is yet another batch of cute puppies to go who knows where.

Infact, from what I know of you 14+K...the property is not the issue..it's the fact that the guy is a selfish person who is adding to an already over population of animals.

In order to get him off your property and do his breeding somewhere else..call the rental board and see what steps you need to make to build your case...outside of the breeding issue. This may be the only way to get him off your property..but he will breed in another location regardless.

Sorry 14+K
You know me far too well BM. I hate seeing those pups, as cute as they are, running around up there and knowing he doesn't care where they go. Some, if not all of them, are going to end up right back in the system again once they get past the cute puppy stage. It breaks my heart.
I remember him saying to me once a few years back when we were still talking and were having a discussion about breeding. He told me that me telling him he couldn't breed (or shouldn't) was the same as him telling me I couldn't wear lipstick.
I so want to go up and take those pups but what for? He would turn around and breed her again. He knows the way I feel about this issue. It's like a slap in the face.
We've spoken at length to every place we can think of to speak to. We have been told time and again the only way to get him out is if we want to move a family member in or plan on tearing the place down. Anyone have a few extra hundred thou so we can build our dream home?

Old March 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

If you have the right to inspect with 24 hrs notice, it's not likely he could fix everything up in that time. Check the landlord tenants or rental agreement records and see if it doesn't say what conditions he has to meet. I'm certain that certain levels of cleanliness are required at the least and he may not meet those if he's got puppies running all over. I know I was going to use that as a method to get rid of one of my tenants - I took pictures when I went in one day. It was filthy. We did manage to get him to move out when my son came and stayed with us for a few months. I told him he was going to move into the basement suite and he didn't argue with me fortunately. Good luck my friend, I feel for you.
Old March 29th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Perhaps I dont know enough about the landlord tenant act so forgive me if I am wrong but if you are month to month then the same rule should apply to you correct? can you not give him adequate notice to vacate the premises? Seems like this is one sided?

I know if it was me and I knew this was going on I would do whatever is necessary to get him off your property. I am not saying to do anything illegal but for god sakes there has to be some law protecting the owner of the property.

Some would say your shooting yourself in the foot trying to get rid of someone you are earning an income off of but for that type of tenant no amount of money would make me feel good about it.

It would make me feel like I am contributing to his nasty business??
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

14+ I just checked out a standard tenancy agreement in Ontario and it says that you as the landlord are only obligated to give him 1 months notice to vacate.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 29th, 2011, 03:28 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Perhaps I dont know enough about the landlord tenant act so forgive me if I am wrong but if you are month to month then the same rule should apply to you correct? can you not give him adequate notice to vacate the premises? Seems like this is one sided?

I know if it was me and I knew this was going on I would do whatever is necessary to get him off your property. I am not saying to do anything illegal but for god sakes there has to be some law protecting the owner of the property.

Some would say your shooting yourself in the foot trying to get rid of someone you are earning an income off of but for that type of tenant no amount of money would make me feel good about it.

It would make me feel like I am contributing to his nasty business??
Winston - Earlier on in this thread I did mention we have spoken to the landlord and tenant board on a few occasions. They have told us the only ways to evict are the ones I have stated. We have to have one of our children move in or we have to demo/reno the house. My stepson does not want to move into a place where he knows dogs/cats have been living, defecating, etc for a while now. These puppies are never outside until they are at least 6 weeks or more. That is the first time we see them. The stepson is also only working part time so would not be able to afford heat, hydro, etc. The rent is so negligible that it doesn't exactly make much difference to us here or there except to increase our taxes and make us pay more.
The other part - demo/reno - takes money. If you evict because you are doing either you have to show proof to the LTB that you are indeed planning on doing so. If not you face a hefty fine. I'm not in a position to do that either. I can't control his actions and the law states there is nothing I can do.
It has long been known that the LTA favours the tenant more than the landlord. That is why it was originally enacted.

Old March 29th, 2011, 03:33 PM
banned user

To what extent do the reno's have to be....?? My guess is just making the place ready for a new tenant would constitute a reno.....lots of us here that can give you receipts for work....heck we will all come and give you a hand.

I guess it would only be a problem if he were to report you...and if you have proof of renos...??????
Closed Thread