Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM

Angry A warning about a bad clinic experiance

I haven't been here in a while - but something recently just got under my skin and I feel the need to post about it

I have friend's that have 2 cats. They had one that had a cut (a small one not a gapping wound) that just woldn't heal. They had been to the vet a few times from when it was first discovered to no avail. The vet told these people that the cat needed a $2000 + operation to fix the wound…. The just could not afford that, they asked what could be done for $500 (that they could afford)… but no - they were made to feel like horrible pet owners if they did not spend this $2000. (I will add here that this cat was a stray they took in - IMO these people are great pet owners…)

In desperation they called me to find out what vet I used and were they cheaper…. I found out what the problem was and gave them an idea to try. (again this cat was not in distress… just a small unhealing cut that had been checked by a vet). I have horses and am used to dealing with cuts and scraps so I suggested and Epsom salts bath of the area, followed by some Furicin (sp?). The epsom salts cost maybe $2, the Furicin cat $11.95 for a huge tub at the tack shop (they used less that 10% of the tub through all this) and 2 weeks later the cat is completely healed!

UHHHH what the @$#@ is wrong with this vet???? How many animals have been humanely euthanized because these vets are being stupid? I mean a $2000 surgery to a $15 fix is a pretty big difference here.

I just felt the need to vent and hopefully warn others from the same treatment. I will not give the Clinic's name here… but it was a Southern Durham area Clinic (Ontario), if any one wants the information please pm me.

Last edited by Blathach; September 21st, 2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: For safety concerns, please no personal contact information.
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRA518 View Post

How many animals have been humanely euthanized because these vets are being stupid? I mean a $2000 surgery to a $15 fix is a pretty big difference here.
I totally understand ! I could say the same about an emergency clinic here (I had to go there 3 times , on week ends) .... they overcharge for everything , and yes , some people might go for euthanasia because they can't afford their price. Things that they could afford if let's say , at my vet ! These clinics are only there to make money , don't care about the animals or owners.
Old September 21st, 2007, 11:52 AM
Kitty pimp

clinics are for emergencies vets are for all the other stuff
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
Like I said , they overcharge for everything. Not only emergency. The usual stuff too , even the meds , they charge double .
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
This case was not an emergancy clinic, this was the regular vet.

Emergancy clinics I can understand a little more, though I do think they over charge.
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:57 PM
NOT a senior member

Wow... all I can say is I'm glad I don't have to depend on a vet in Ontario. Did the clinic even justify why they were charging such an outrageous price for what is seemingly a simple operation. I'm no vet, but it sounds like a simple sedation, and stitch up job to me, with possible meds following. I've been countless times to the vet for stitches for my dogs, porcupine quills etc, and I don't think I've had to pay over $200. My Dane had her ear torn in half when the neighbours dog came over and they had a scrap... bill was close to $200, I remember because we split the bill with the owner of the other dog. It's sad that if veterinary costs are so high in this area, I'm sure that alot of animals are not getting the care that they need. Isn't there a standard general rate for services? This just seems way out of whack.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old September 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank goodness you were able to offer your friend a solution that helped her cat. It's all about money though isn't it? That's horrible to think of how many animals have been put down because their owners couldn't afford to pay for a treatment, which in this case, wasn't needed.
Old September 21st, 2007, 02:16 PM

Purpledomino, I don't know what is with them either. I had my Dogs' teeth done last year, she weights 75lbs and it was under $500... surely stiching a small wound is less involved than a full cleaning and 3 extractions!!!

My friends tried calling the Humane Society for help finding a cheaper option and they would not recommend a vet but they did tell them that thier vet was well known at the most expensive in Durham Region!

Not all of them are bad, but the prices are all over the board... When we had a cat spayed a few years ago I called around and the range in prices was insane. I only moved to our vet because it was closer when we moved - but I would never change now - the care is amazing and the prices are not crazy. We are going through AIMA (?) anemia with our dog now and the care has been great. That one I will mention... Newcastle Vetrinary Clinic in Newcastle, Ontario. We've since moved out of the area, but I will continue to make the 30 minute trip to continue using them.
Old September 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

For Jim Hall and any others, clinic is just another word for hospital or (medical) office here in Ontario. Whether pets, people, dentist or chiropracter. It may mean that several doctors or Vets work together in that office and you may not always deal with the same one but each professional in that clinic should have access to all charts for that patient. In my area several Veterinary offices are called clinics and the emergency office is also called a clinic but has emergency in the name.