Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 4th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Poor Zena

So I had to take Pippin to the vet today to get fixed and while I was there I found out that he should have his back dew claws removed. Not sure what to expect for recovery but, hey you gotta do what ya gotta do. Poor Zena is sad cause her little buddy is gone for the day. She didn't even eat all her food which never happens. I'm sad cause it was an unexpected extra expense but, his dew claws are super loose and to keep them trimmed is a real pain in the rear end. He wasn't a happy camper this morning since he couldn't eat and he is use to eating as soon as he does his morning business. They haven't called yet so I'm figuring things are going well. I miss him already and so does Zena. It's too quiet here. Anyone know what I should expect for recovery from Pip? Man I have never spent this much on a dog in my life. We always use to just not bother but, now that I'm not a kid anymore I want to do what's best for my pet but, sometimes you wonder what that is. His claws were bad though. You could almost turn them completely around in you fingers. Way too loose for my liking. Hope it goes well I've never had to deal with this before.
Old September 4th, 2008, 11:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm trying to remember....but I think it was Gauge that needed his front dew claws removed as an adolescent. They wrapped the legs in a stretchy bandage material that they changed a couple of times a few days apart. We had to watch for swelling in the feet in case the bandaging was done too tightly, but we never saw any.

Gauge did want to chew at the area...not so much the first few days, but about 5 - 7 days in...about the time the healing would make the wound itchy. The Dreaded Elizabethan Collar is invaluable in preventing chewing!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM

Ugh

The vet never told me anything about watching for anything. They just sent me on my merry way without explaining. I even had to ask for an E collar because he was starting to lick his incision from his neuter before we even left. I hate the collar but, you're right it does help and he has had to wear it most of the time and he just got operated on yesterday. Man I can't even imagine what he'll be like in 7 days and that's apparently when the plan to take the bandages off. Oh boy for us. He can get at the bandages too with the stupid collar on. Don't know what I'm supposed to do about that. Yup should be interesting.
Old September 5th, 2008, 08:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by histears View Post
He can get at the bandages too with the stupid collar on. Don't know what I'm supposed to do about that. Yup should be interesting.
Maybe the cone isn't long enough ?
Old September 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM

that's possible

Yeah he has a pretty long snout but, if I go with a bigger cone it will be too loose around his neck. thankfully he can't get at the part where the cuts are, just his feet.