Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old April 30th, 2011, 02:48 PM

Cockatiels outside or inside?

(I apologize if this question is in the wrong place, but any help would be terribly appreciated)

I recently got 2 cockatiels: I want them to stay inside with me, and my parents think they should permanently be outside.

Does anybody know, what in general is best for cockatiels? To be inside a house or outside in a garden?
Old April 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I would have them inside...but that is my ...you can take them out on nice sunny days...under supervision. Not sure what part of the world you live in...or what kind of wild life you might get in your area...but I would feel uncomfortable leaving them unattended...
Old May 1st, 2011, 03:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I've never owned any but a friend has hers inside, they are tame enough to be allowed to fly around in the house and one could mimic the sound of the phone ringing to perfection. LOL.They seemed to be really good indoor pets.
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

do you know how many cockatiels we've caught outside over the years? *S* they are indoor pets, mind you, in our aviary we had an outdoor flight cage that , like a dog kennel, had a huge door way that we would "herd" them into at night and shut them up.
Old May 1st, 2011, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I thought Tiel meant cage and all...I don't think she meant to just let the bird fly out in the open...or did she?????
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Where do you live and what type of weather do you experience? Do you have an outdoor aviary already set up, or are your parents encouraging you to make one? NO birds should be left outside without a proper set up, ever.

My first question is why are your parents even asking you to do this? Is it because cockatiels can be a bit noisy? Is it the mess? Do they just not like animals in the house?

Cockatiels are very social and people oriented. As you can see from the comments above regarding cockatiels, it's rare that they are owned as pets and not kept inside with their people. They are funny birds that love to entertain and interact with humans and this cannot be done when they are kept mostly outside.

CP16 brought up a good point - predators are a huge factor. Unlike other parrots, the cockatiel can be frightened easily, which can kill them. They don't need to be attacked to die.

If you are considering a cockatiel, I highly reccomend they be kept inside. If you can't, it might be a good idea to wait until this is more feasible for you and your family.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey_ View Post
If you are considering a cockatiel, I highly reccomend they be kept inside. If you can't, it might be a good idea to wait until this is more feasible for you and your family.
Bailey - the cockatiels are already purchased.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 1st, 2011, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
I thought Tiel meant cage and all...I don't think she meant to just let the bird fly out in the open...or did she?????
I figured they meant a cage sitting in the garden.
Old May 1st, 2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I would think that they would be much happier, and SAFER, living inside where they could be with people. It's my understanding that they don't do well in cooler weather either. My cousin keeps her house a little warmer for the sake of her cockatiel.