Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 14th, 2010, 09:37 AM

Maxim Cat Food?

Has anyone heard of this? Our 3 year old cat has been on Royal Canin since we got her as a kitten. I was at the Pet Store the other night and the lady gave me samples of Maxim to try. I got a info sheet as well but their website isn't working and cannot find any info on it. Its Canadian and made it Concord Ontario. I would like to switch her to something else that is less expensive than royal canin (2.5 lb bag is 18.00) but better for her.
I have looked at Wellness, which our puppy is currently on. It is so confusing going into the pet store and looking for foods because there are SO MANY out there to choose from
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never heard of Maxim cat food, but because it's dry I'm automatically going to say it's not a good choice. Any possibility of switching your kitty over to a wet food diet instead of the Royal Canin? It's really quite essential for cats to eat either a good quality canned or raw food diet rather than anything that comes out of a bag. Some really good info on the subject can be found at this link: www.catinfo.org

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Is this the food you're talking about?: http://www.nrgpetproducts.com/maxim.html

It's actually a dehydrated raw food that you add water to, which isn't soooo terribly bad if your cat likes it. I'll bet it's expensive though, and it also contains an excessive amount of plant matter for an obligate carnivore. They also don't list what vitamins/minerals are added, if any, so I'm not sure it's balanced for everyday feeding.

Oh wait, it contains garlic and kelp. I wouldn't go near this food with a ten-foot pole.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I used it once a long time ago and the stink in the litter box was unbelievable. It was also available in a soft formula in pouches - same thing.
I did not like it and stick to Eagle Pack.
BTW, I used royal canin before eagle pack and I had one guy lose most of his hair while on it. He is a bit neurotic to begin with, but I found it really brought out allergies including the variety made specifically for Maine Coons.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old January 14th, 2010, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Hey Sugarcatmama,

What is up with garlic and kelp for kitties?

Cheers from the completely ignorant non cat owner
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire
Old January 14th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macomom View Post
What is up with garlic and kelp for kitties?
Well, garlic belongs to the same genus (Allium) as onions, leeks and chives, and can be toxic to cats (and dogs, but more so to cats). Whether consumed in one large amount, or in regular small amounts over an extended period, it can result in Heinz Body Anemia (particularly if the cat is already ill). It's thought that the small amounts found in some pet foods won't cause a problem, but it really shouldn't be there in the first place. Shows a lack of understanding by the manufacturer as far as cat nutrition goes. (Some companies, like Wellness, previously included garlic in their cat foods but have since taken it out due to public pressure).

http://www2.aspca.org/site/DocServer...dInterest=1101

The main problem I have with kelp has to do with the iodine content. Iodine is only needed by the thyroid gland, and excessive amounts are linked to hyperthyroidism. Since hyperthyroidism has become increasingly common in domestic cats, I think it's a good idea to minimize any potential triggers. That's not to say that all cat foods containing kelp (and there are many, even from reputable companies like Wellness and Nature's Variety) are bad, but I would be careful about how much kelp they contain.